Ukraine- War.

Ser Scot A Ellison

Hope this ends soon, this is ugly.

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-europe-60517447

Ukraine says it hands out 18,000 machine guns to Kyiv volunteers

As Russian forces advance on the Ukrainian capital, the authorities are calling on the population to do everything they can to resist the invading troops.

Both the Ministry of Defence and the Interior Ministry are appealing to Kyiv residents to "inform us of troop movements, to make Molotov cocktails and neutralise the enemy".

A leaflet with step-by step instructions of how to make petrol bombs has been posted on the Ministry of the Interior's social media.

Interior Ministry adviser Vadym Denysenko says 18,000 machine guns "have been handed out in Kyiv to all volunteers, all those who want to defend our capital with weapons in their arms".

"Ukrainian military equipment is entering Kyiv now to defend it. I am asking all residents of Kyiv - please do not film it, do not film its movements. This is necessary to protect our city."

5 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

This one I haven't heard about yet.

Also that the taking of the strategic airport outside Kyiv by paratroopers didn't quite work out and the Russians were going to face mounting losses in trying to besiege the city.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/feb/25/ukraine-soldiers-told-russians-to-go-fuck-yourself-before-black-sea-island-death

I'm not seeing anything about a ceasefire or willingness to negotiate on any of my feeds yet.

1 minute ago, Which Tyler said:

I know about that one. I was talking about the guy who sacrificed himself to destroy a bridge.

The Snake Island guards represent bravery to the max.

1 minute ago, Corvinus85 said:

I know about that one. I was talking about the guy who sacrificed himself to destroy a bridge.

The Snake Island guards represent bravery to the max.

I think it's less the individual instances of bravery (which are certainly inspiring) and more what is happening in the aggregate. Ukraine is claiming it's killed more than 1,000 Russian soldiers (either just today or today+yesterday, it's a bit unclear). I doubt the numbers are that high. But unless Ukraine is just going full "Baghdad Bob" they seem to be seriously blooding Russia's nose. And this is before any street-to-street urban warfare has started.

27 minutes ago, RhaenysBee said:

Russia is ready to negotiate. 
Oh god please, let it end. 

Serbian media is reporting that Zelensky made several pleas offering neutrality to Putin and unsuccessfully tried to reach him. In the end, apparently both Xi and Macron spoke to Putin and urged him to talk with Zelensky. Russia is now saying they are ready to send a delegation to negotiate but that they insist on demilitarization and neutrality of Ukraine, and the safety of Russian regions, so pretty much what they wanted in the first place.

Here's the full figures that Ukraine's deputy defense minister is claiming (note that "lost" encompasses more than "killed"):

Again, I doubt the numbers are as high as that. But unless Ukraine decided to just make stuff up, as opposed to trying to compile various reports and estimates from lots of different places, it would suggest they're doing real damage.

8 minutes ago, Fez said:

Here's the full figures that Ukraine's deputy defense minister is claiming (note that "lost" encompasses more than "killed"):

Again, I doubt the numbers are as high as that. But unless Ukraine decided to just make stuff up, as opposed to trying to compile various reports and estimates from lots of different places, it would suggest they're doing real damage.

Even if only half of these figures, that would still be a lot for just this amount of fighting. Imagine if the US had these losses in their invasion of Iraq after just one 1-2 days of fighting.

9 minutes ago, Fez said:

They could be making stuff up. I remember when Serbia was bombarded, if you believed our media, we were swatting plains out of the sky like flies and doing great. The government could be trying to keep moral up. This is actually common when you have a greatly superior enemy.

5 minutes ago, Fez said:

I doubt the numbers are as high as that. But unless Ukraine decided to just make stuff up, as opposed to trying to compile various reports and estimates from lots of different places, it would suggest they're doing real damage.

Yeah, I don't think we can trust those numbers even with a hefty portion of salt. 

However, it is clear that Ukraine's military is resisting where possible and falling back to avoid capture, rather than just surrendering.  That wasn't a sure thing.  I'm sure Putin hoped for (perhaps expected?) a show of token resistance followed by capitulation.  That is not what is happening. 

12 minutes ago, mnedel said:

Serbian media is reporting that Zelensky made several pleas offering neutrality to Putin and unsuccessfully tried to reach him. In the end, apparently both Xi and Macron spoke to Putin and urged him to talk with Zelensky. Russia is now saying they are ready to send a delegation to negotiate but that they insist on demilitarization and neutrality of Ukraine, and the safety of Russian regions, so pretty much what they wanted in the first place.

I've seen this elsewhere too. While I would love for this to all end immediately, peacefully, another part of me would hate to see Putin get away with this so easily. It would be so good for him to get a massive bloody nose and be sent packing, and be deposed by the angry Russian populace. It's just that it comes at the cost of Ukrainian lives. 

16 minutes ago, mnedel said:

If Putin was really willing to talk he would halt the advance of his troops and offer a ceasefire.  

4 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

Even if only half of these figures, that would still be a lot for just this amount of fighting. Imagine if the US had these losses in their invasion of Iraq after just one 1-2 days of fighting.

Agreed. Although a few key differences exist:

The US military is better trained and equipped than Russia's

Iraq's military was worse trained and equipped than Ukraine

Russia clearly sent in ground forces without having first totally obliterated all Ukraine defensive positions by air/missile. Likely because they lacked the capacity to do so. Unlike the US in 2003.

On the subject of military ineptitude, oopsie https://www.wsj.com/livecoverage/russia-ukraine-latest-news/card/sNvkBYqiINav8S5cDGaL

A Turkish-owned ship was hit by a bomb off the coast of Odessa and is now heading to Romania, according to the Turkish General Directorate of Maritime Affairs.

No one was hurt in the bombing, the agency said.

They didn't say who launched the bomb but my money is on Russia.

I wouldn't be surprised if Putin etc also didn't expect the protests/opposition from Russians to be as large as immediate as it has been. They all know what they're risking by participating, so those doing it anyway feel very strongly and suggests a lot more whose sympathies lie that way.

It's not even close to enough to change his mind on it's own, but it would nudge things all the same.

6 minutes ago, Fez said:

Agreed. Although a few key differences exist:

The US military is better trained and equipped than Russia's

Iraq's military was worse trained and equipped than Ukraine

Russia clearly sent in ground forces without having first totally obliterated all Ukraine defensive positions by air/missile. Likely because they lacked the capacity to do so. Unlike the US in 2003.

Iraq didn't have much of an army left after the war of 1991. Back then the attack on the ground was preceded by a month of airstrikes, IIRC.

Just now, SeanF said:

I hope it does not end soon.  I hope the Ukrainians bleed the invaders.

I’d like Putin to pay for his avaricious desires.  He’s not paying.  Russian boys and Ukrainians generally are footing the butcher’s bill.  

If the Ukrainians surrender and agree to neutrality… it would be entirely understandable.

Archived