Elden Ring

RumHam

1 hour ago, Mexal said:

"Cowards pass"

Hide contents

Just to be clear, the "cowards pass" is the path up the scaffolding and through the mountain where you then face off against the fire breathing dragon with the big red sword?

If so, I did that last night. Didn't have much trouble. Buddy of mine told me it was the way up so I went for it, didn't realize it was the secondary way up but that makes sense given I didn't take the grand lift up.

So far everyone I've talked to has used this path. I didn't even get the hint at roundtable about the other half of the medallion until I'd been to the capitol. I think it was glitched because the guy didn't apologize for his guard attacking me until like thirty hours after it happened either. 

12 hours ago, Fez said:

I don't know if this means I've skipped the entire dungeon or what.

Apparently once you kill the boss the doors will unlock. You may have missed the mini-boss though. 

1 hour ago, Mexal said:

"Cowards pass"

Hide contents

Just to be clear, the "cowards pass" is the path up the scaffolding and through the mountain where you then face off against the fire breathing dragon with the big red sword?

If so, I did that last night. Didn't have much trouble. Buddy of mine told me it was the way up so I went for it, didn't realize it was the secondary way up but that makes sense given I didn't take the grand lift up.

Yep. I think it was one of the palm readers out in the open world that called it that, but I don't remember for sure which NPC.

It was a very curious design choice to essentially give the Astrologer class arguably the best spell in the game right out of the gate.  Aside from Rock Sling, which is preferable in certain scenarios, I have yet to really use any ranged spells aside from Glintstone Pebble.  I have a bunch of them, but they're mostly useless when compared to Pebble.  The only spells I actually use are those two plus occasionally Phalanx, and obviously the basic melee one which I'm blanking on the name for at the moment.

It's also disappointing that all the cool fire magic is via incantations, which I can't use.

I feel like my class doesn't have a whole lot to look forward to, because from all indications I'm going to be using the same three spells for pretty much the duration of the game.

35 minutes ago, briantw said:

It was a very curious design choice to essentially give the Astrologer class arguably the best spell in the game right out of the gate.  Aside from Rock Sling, which is preferable in certain scenarios, I have yet to really use any ranged spells aside from Glintstone Pebble.  I have a bunch of them, but they're mostly useless when compared to Pebble.  The only spells I actually use are those two plus occasionally Phalanx, and obviously the basic melee one which I'm blanking on the name for at the moment.

It's also disappointing that all the cool fire magic is via incantations, which I can't use.

I feel like my class doesn't have a whole lot to look forward to, because from all indications I'm going to be using the same three spells for pretty much the duration of the game.

There are some really good sorceries eventually, including at least two fire ones. Though they do have faith requirements of 10 and 15. 

Spoiler

Comet Azur is really good if you can get to Mt. Gelmir The others I have equipped are Shattering Crystal and Stars of Ruin. I don't remember where I found those but I'm sure you can google it.

1 hour ago, briantw said:

I'm currently running with Rock Sling, Ambush Shard, and swapped out Glintstone Pebble for fast Glintstone or something, I forget the name but the Great and Powerful Turtle sells it.  Seems to cast faster, does about 2/3 the damage of GP and with about half the casting cost.  As far as I can tell the range is basically the same, but I only tested it out on some low level enemies.  I also have two empty casting slots.  I'd rather cycle faster through those three than add more junk.  So I hear you.

Give Ambush Shard a look.  It's great against those big flaming heads, and can be used for super cheese, since as long as you're in range and locked on, you can take cover and hit stuff that can't hit you.  Well worth the extra FP cost, situationally.

3 hours ago, briantw said:

I do think the sorceries need to get re-balanced since a lot of them seem worthless. That said, there are a few good options besides Pebble. Swift Glintstone has such a good cast time I think it's a better pebble. Rock Sling can be preferable for some bosses, as you say. Loretta's Bow has such good range it's good for picking off some of the tough open world enemies. Ambush helps against shielded enemies. Carian Slicer is the great melee one. And I believe a couple of the high level spells are also worthwhile. Plus there's the INT scaling melee weapons.

There is less to look forward to then a strength or dex build I agree. But it's not nothing.

Glintstone sword (the one that shoots) is an under appreciated spell. Fast cast, good damage, and delay which is nice for PvP and most AIs. Just started using it more and it’s great. I need 15 levels for azur comet though, so I may just glass cannon this build and then build up my hp with some of the other bosses

Hearing my wife angrily shout over and over "WHY ELDEN RING WHY WOULD YOU TARGET THE SHEEP WHYYYYY" as she tries to lock onto the boss is an auto 10/10 from me

I don't want to ever play it but watching it is HILARIOUS

12 hours ago, JEORDHl said:

Are any of you playing it on PC or is it still busted

I've been playing on PC since day 1. Hasn't been busted for me at all. I think on the first day there might have been a couple of microstutters here and there but it's been fine after that. All I ever tweaked was capping the fps at 58 in Nvidia control panel to reduce input lag. The only issue I really ran into was the control scheme (had to change almost all the buttons on both controller and MKB). 

Anyways it's really quite rare for me to have as much fun with a video game as I've been having in Elden Ring. The only games that have had that effect on me in the past years have been RDR2 and Hades I think.

I'm running a Faith character with just enough points in STR and DEX to the requirements for whichever weapons I fancy at the moment. Going by some clips I've seen, it doesn't have as much options for cheese as some other approaches to the game but there's a couple of nice crutches. I'm quite deep in and I think I'll roll a magic dex character for the next playthrough.

Killed a few smaller bosses, did some multiplayer, killed the huge dragon, and did a tiny bit of farming and got myself to SL70 and 60 INT to use azur's comet.  I'm thinking the videos of this just destroying bosses are after multiple deaths, because you need to get pretty lucky for it to work properly and I need Godrick's rune in order to cast it.  I think my next plan is to work on getting something other than the meteroite staff, kill some of those minor tree guardians for more physick mixes, and get a few more levels into INT so I don't need my rune in order for the build to function.

1 hour ago, aceluby said:

Killed a few smaller bosses, did some multiplayer, killed the huge dragon, and did a tiny bit of farming and got myself to SL70 and 60 INT to use azur's comet.  I'm thinking the videos of this just destroying bosses are after multiple deaths, because you need to get pretty lucky for it to work properly and I need Godrick's rune in order to cast it.  I think my next plan is to work on getting something other than the meteroite staff, kill some of those minor tree guardians for more physick mixes, and get a few more levels into INT so I don't need my rune in order for the build to function.

It is the only spell I've tried that has aiming issues, yeah. On field bosses or bosses with "get up to fight" animations it's an easy kill. Fast moving ones it's practically useless unless they're distracted hammering your summon. Your plan sounds good, do you have the eliminate FP consumption (for ~10 seconds) mixer? That's what makes it so effective, just a steady beam of death.

You definitely don't want to be using the meteorite staff. There's one that takes more FP for more damage, and one that takes more FP to reduce cast times. I went with damage and use a talisman to reduce cast time. Either can be upgraded with somber stones to be much more powerful.

Found a new farming spot. ~24k in about two minutes. Just crazy. It's post-capitol though. 

Spoiler

you have to have been through the capitol to the tree and then find your way to the Consecrated Snowfield bonfire. Nearby theres another troll pulled carriage, but this one pulled by frost trolls that drop ~9k each (I do have the +20% runes talisman on) so there two of them who you can zap with magic without aggroing. Comet Azur can hit both of them at once if you angle it right. Then there's a guard with a sword who gives another 5k. I don't bother with the others. If you ride in to the troll's left you can take out the trolls without anyone else noticing, then snipe the guard and travel back to the bonfire. Like I said it takes me two minute but even if it takes you ten that's still the best spot I've found. 

Decided to go back and do the mini dungeon behind the mist wall at the very start of the game.  Seriously, fuck that boss, that tiny ass arena that's barely even big enough for you to ever be out of range of his attacks, and that specific attack where he picks you up, does a ton of damage, and sets you on goddamn fire.  The room is so small and the boss so big that it's often difficult to see when he's about to attack too, which made it doubly frustrating.

Nothing about that fight was fun.  The only good part was when it was finally over.

15 hours ago, RumHam said:

Found a new farming spot. ~24k in about two minutes. Just crazy. It's post-capitol though. 

Reveal hidden contents

you have to have been through the capitol to the tree and then find your way to the Consecrated Snowfield bonfire. Nearby theres another troll pulled carriage, but this one pulled by frost trolls that drop ~9k each (I do have the +20% runes talisman on) so there two of them who you can zap with magic without aggroing. Comet Azur can hit both of them at once if you angle it right. Then there's a guard with a sword who gives another 5k. I don't bother with the others. If you ride in to the troll's left you can take out the trolls without anyone else noticing, then snipe the guard and travel back to the bonfire. Like I said it takes me two minute but even if it takes you ten that's still the best spot I've found. 

There's an even better one that is giving me that much in about 30 seconds

Spoiler

If you do Varre's sidequest you get a portal to Mohgwyn's Palace.  If you run past all the enemies and get to the bonfire right before the boss there are a bunch of enemies with their back turned to you that you can just melt with comet azur.  Run up, cast it twice, run back to the bonfire.  You can also really easily cheese the boss for over 500k runes.  Went from level 70 to 100 in about 5 minutes.

I definitely need a different staff, but prioritized a few other things last night.  Like taking down fucking Radahn.  That fight was such a bitch and I felt like I should have been over-leveled for him at SL100, but he could just wreck me in so many different ways.  Delete from afar with is stupid magic bow, cast a spell that rains arrows, delete close up with ridiculous combos and a 2nd phase with added AOE, or my favorite where he deletes you from the sky with a meteorite that just crushes your skull.  I summoned probably 15 NPC's for this fight (Patches is hilarious BTW), ran through all 13 of my flasks, and had to finish him off with horse melee.  With all that being said, this was probably the most unique boss fight I've had in a From game, plus it was as hard as the first time I took down Artorias in the DS1 DLC.  Hopefully I get some time tonight to play so I can finish off the three sisters side quest, look up where to get a better staff, and awaken some of these great runes I've been collecting

3 minutes ago, aceluby said:

There's an even better one that is giving me that much in about 30 seconds

Hide contents

If you do Varre's sidequest you get a portal to Mohgwyn's Palace.  If you run past all the enemies and get to the bonfire right before the boss there are a bunch of enemies with their back turned to you that you can just melt with comet azur.  Run up, cast it twice, run back to the bonfire.  You can also really easily cheese the boss for over 500k runes.  Went from level 70 to 100 in about 5 minutes.

I definitely need a different staff, but prioritized a few other things last night.  Like taking down fucking Radahn.  That fight was such a bitch and I felt like I should have been over-leveled for him at SL100, but he could just wreck me in so many different ways.  Delete from afar with is stupid magic bow, cast a spell that rains arrows, delete close up with ridiculous combos and a 2nd phase with added AOE, or my favorite where he deletes you from the sky with a meteorite that just crushes your skull.  I summoned probably 15 NPC's for this fight (Patches is hilarious BTW), ran through all 13 of my flasks, and had to finish him off with horse melee.  With all that being said, this was probably the most unique boss fight I've had in a From game, plus it was as hard as the first time I took down Artorias in the DS1 DLC.  Hopefully I get some time tonight to play so I can finish off the three sisters side quest, look up where to get a better staff, and awaken some of these great runes I've been collecting

Thanks for the heads up, I haven't seen Varre in forever. I may have to check the wiki page for him. I should regret killing Patches, but fuck that guy. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me like nine times across four games and I'm going to murder you.

The only problem with Radahn was at the start. I had to get off my horse and run to him so I could roll. Once I summoned everyone and got closer to him he was distracted and gave me little trouble.

As I said before charging his rune gave me more trouble because you have to climb the outside of the tower to get in.

Vauge spoiler about something else that opens up after that fight.

Spoiler

Make sure you go back to mistwood.

14 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Thanks for the heads up, I haven't seen Varre in forever. I may have to check the wiki page for him. I should regret killing Patches, but fuck that guy. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me like nine times across four games and I'm going to murder you.

The only problem with Radahn was at the start. I had to get off my horse and run to him so I could roll. Once I summoned everyone and got closer to him he was distracted and gave me little trouble.

As I said before charging his rune gave me more trouble because you have to climb the outside of the tower to get in.

Vauge spoiler about something else that opens up after that fight.

Hide contents

Make sure you go back to mistwood.

You didn't miss much by killing patches

Spoiler

He gets summoned, takes one look at Radahn, and nopes right the fuck outta there. 

:rofl:

Thanks for the help, dude!

I didn't have trouble with him at the start, rolling through his arrows wasn't a huge deal, but my summons basically never pulled aggro.  In the ~3 times they did, I had by far the most success, but the other 30 times I did this fight Radahn had pretty much singular focus of just deleting me in all the ways he knows how.

Regarding the tower, I actually climbed most of the way up, couldn't find how to get up further and the messages kept telling me to go down.  So I did, got a bunch of items and then looked up where to go.  It was late so I didn't feel like climbing that shit again.

Did a bunch of exploration of the Atlus plateau last night. Killed a few minor bosses and found a ton of loot; most of which I'll never use (has anyone actually been crafting a lot?). Definitely feels like the right area to be in after Liurina in terms of difficulty.

Had a few really bad stutters though, even in dungeons. There was a couple points where the game was truly unplayable, freezing up for almost a full second every 10-15. Way worse than anything since the first day.

Archived