Elden Ring

RumHam

20 minutes ago, mcbigski said:

OK, I probably won't look back there.  Haven't found Deeproot Depths yet either.

That corrupted tree spirit in the war dead catacombs far to the north after beating radahn has been fucking me up.  I think it's the same as the guy in the cloister, but you get to have a summons instead of scarlet rot.  Still getting spanked.

I expect that they have balanced the bosses based on possible builds, but I do think I need to get better at close up stuff and dodging.  Unless blocking is actually feasible?

It may be worth going back at least once to talk to the announcer. His dialog suggests he may have more to in the game, though gives no hints as what a quest might be. So possibly it'll be nothing, like Kenneth Haight apparently.

The sheer size of this game is baffling.  Just when you think there can't be more, there's another insane area.  I took a teleporter in the Four Belfries and ended up on the outskirts of some presumably end-game area floating in the sky with massive tornadoes all around and dozens of dragons (or wyverns maybe?) circling around the skybox. 

14 minutes ago, Fez said:

It may be worth going back at least once to talk to the announcer. His dialog suggests he may have more to in the game, though gives no hints as what a quest might be. So possibly it'll be nothing, like Kenneth Haight apparently.

From the patch notes:

Added new quest phases for the following NPCs: Diallos/ Nepheli Loux/ Kenneth Haight/ Gatekeeper Gostoc.

A little annoying that they didn't have these at launch. I killed the gatekeeper asshole because he steals your runes. 

8 minutes ago, RumHam said:

From the patch notes:

A little annoying that they didn't have these at launch. I killed the gatekeeper asshole because he steals your runes. 

Speak of the devil.

I just looked at the patch notes, seems like some pretty major rebalancing of spells. I'll have to test tomorrow if any more are actually usable now.

Also, the mimic ash sounds like it's been nerfed.

53 minutes ago, Fez said:

I'm not really sure right now exactly what part you're referencing, but it would be a great troll if From hired a reasonably well known voice to lead people on a dead end quest.

Also, Patches is totes an asshole, but I did want to check out that low stuff below the Manor and erd tree anyway so joke is one you dude.

Kind of like how in real life I'd never once be thinking I should just rest in that coffin.

Ended up doing part of deeproot depths, explored the Atlus, and took on a few minor bosses.  Currently stuck on the black knife ringleader boss at one of the gaols.  Furthest I've gotten him is down to half health, but he's got this PITA skill that causes DOT and another one that will just one-shot me.  He has almost no poise, so I think I may try some darts of some sort to see if that can work to keep him at bay

54 minutes ago, aceluby said:

Ended up doing part of deeproot depths, explored the Atlus, and took on a few minor bosses.  Currently stuck on the black knife ringleader boss at one of the gaols.  Furthest I've gotten him is down to half health, but he's got this PITA skill that causes DOT and another one that will just one-shot me.  He has almost no poise, so I think I may try some darts of some sort to see if that can work to keep him at bay

That guy was such a pain. Carian Phalanx helped by staggering him when he got close. I can't remember if I was actually able to beat him though, I don't think so.

18 hours ago, RumHam said:

That guy was such a pain. Carian Phalanx helped by staggering him when he got close. I can't remember if I was actually able to beat him though, I don't think so.

Fuck it.  I cheesed him with mist.

Some of the spells do seem a bit better, but nothing worth coming into the main rotation. Ah well.

I finished off Volcano Manor. That sword you find at the entrance to the boss room really makes it a cake walk it turns out. I may be just about done with the game though; because I don't know if I have it in me to get through Mountaintop of the Giants. It feels like such a slog up there, I do so little damage to the bosses. But I don't want to spend hours grinding levels. Maybe I've just played too much of the game, I am at 70 hours now. I'm worried if I stop playing for a few days I'll start losing my muscle memory though.

2 hours ago, Fez said:

Some of the spells do seem a bit better, but nothing worth coming into the main rotation. Ah well.

I finished off Volcano Manor. That sword you find at the entrance to the boss room really makes it a cake walk it turns out. I may be just about done with the game though; because I don't know if I have it in me to get through Mountaintop of the Giants. It feels like such a slog up there, I do so little damage to the bosses. But I don't want to spend hours grinding levels. Maybe I've just played too much of the game, I am at 70 hours now. I'm worried if I stop playing for a few days I'll start losing my muscle memory though.

Yeah some of the difficulty spikes are a bit much! I still haven't beaten the fire giant. If you do want levels have you killed the sleeping / unwell dragon? gave me 116k with the gold scarab and gold chicken foot item active. Apparently people rush him at the start to gain like twenty levels. 

Otherwise I'd recommend summoning help, if only to get to the end and see one of the many endings. Then if you return to the game down the line you can do new game +. 

Edit: forgot to say, those of you who missed Castle Redmayne and didn't want to bother going back one of the whetsone knives is there. So if you want to be able to re-assign all ashes of war it might pay to go. I also found a smithing stone [6] that was helpful. 

3 hours ago, RumHam said:

Yeah some of the difficulty spikes are a bit much! I still haven't beaten the fire giant. If you do want levels have you killed the sleeping / unwell dragon? gave me 116k with the gold scarab and gold chicken foot item active. Apparently people rush him at the start to gain like twenty levels. 

Otherwise I'd recommend summoning help, if only to get to the end and see one of the many endings. Then if you return to the game down the line you can do new game +. 

Edit: forgot to say, those of you who missed Castle Redmayne and didn't want to bother going back one of the whetsone knives is there. So if you want to be able to re-assign all ashes of war it might pay to go. I also found a smithing stone [6] that was helpful. 

Yeah, the fire giant and the Castle Sol boss (Naill?) both seem like enormous pains, and even the regular field enemies are tough.

I haven't killed that dragon, just in case there's something else it's involved in. But I need 70k+ to level up, so in the grand scheme killing it wouldn't help too much at this point.

I'm not ready to throw in the towel yet, but it is frustrating. Especially since the game world has collapsed down so much at this point. Other than a few minor caves and tombs I skipped I just don't have anywhere else new to go right now. And I believe I won't unlock any other places without beating one of those mountain top bosses. It's not really an open world anymore for all intents.

Heh. Well I managed to cheese kill the Castle Sol boss using the endless FP Comet Azur trick. I don't feel bad though, he was a bullshit boss. Summoning two adds and being in a tiny arena like that. And killing him let me unlock the Consecrated Snowfield, which at least gives me another area to explore while beating my head against the Fire Giant. It's already leading to good loot at least. Got a bunch of somber smithing stones +8 and +9 and even an ancient dragon somber smithing stone so far.

Finally made it to the Capital last night. Haven’t done Volcano Manor and wasn’t sure which I should do first so just danced around in the Capital. It’s alright so far though those Knights are a pain in the ass when they get their shield up.

Re: Volcano Manor I've seen some people complain that they were locked out of sidequests because they killed the boss before completing them. One of the quests gives the armor with 100 poise which apparently is a big deal.

I'm also curious how people handled that. I did it both ways but felt a little bad

Spoiler

cutting down one of the tarnished that helped out with Rahdan

3 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Re: Volcano Manor I've seen some people complain that they were locked out of sidequests because they killed the boss before completing them. One of the quests gives the armor with 100 poise which apparently is a big deal.

I'm also curious how people handled that. I did it both ways but felt a little bad

Reveal hidden contents

cutting down one of the tarnished that helped out with Rahdan

I don't trust the Fingers, but I don't want to be killing any of the small handful of sentient beings still hanging around the Lands Between either (although, I'm actually not clear on the lore here; it could be that most of the soldiers we fight are still sentient too; just hostile). So I ignored those quests and happily killed the boss.

1 hour ago, Fez said:

I don't trust the Fingers, but I don't want to be killing any of the small handful of sentient beings still hanging around the Lands Between either (although, I'm actually not clear on the lore here; it could be that most of the soldiers we fight are still sentient too; just hostile). So I ignored those quests and happily killed the boss.

I think basically everyone is just hostile toward the Tarnished.  No idea how they can tell that you’re Tarnished at a glance, especially since most of us are probably dressed in armor dropped from an enemy, but that seems to be the implication.

There are plenty of instances of the "human" enemies in the game fighting with the monsters, so there's clearly some sort of sentience at work there.

Archived