Elden Ring

RumHam

Been trying to brute force my way through Crumbling Farum Azula. Most of the enemies have absurd HP pools, so it's much faster to just run past them and hope to reach another bonfire. And there's too many platforming-related ways to die, so killing the enemies each time is just an exercise in frustration. I think I'm fine doing this too; the first actual boss I faced was a cakewalk.

I mostly did the same thing when I was going through Hagiltree. Although there are a few really good farming areas there if you're so inclined. I found one that gives me 30K souls in about a minute. However, I'm SL 124 and not feeling much pressure to level.

Well, some stuff happened. I reached the point where I got a cutscene that wasn't just a boss introduction, first one of those in a while. Then seemingly the entire world changed slightly and one specific region completely; with all new terrain and all previous bonfires removed. So make sure you complete every side thing you want, because at least in that region I think you lose access to anything missed. I went through the new version and I think I may be at the final boss; or possibly in the middle of a final boss rush.

There was a previous boss that was a push-over, killed him on the first attempt. But this one seems harder, though I've only tried once before needing to call it a night.

Made some nice headway in Elden Ring the past few days.

I made it to Leyndell late last week, although I didn't actually progress into the city outside of getting to the first grace right before you get the Leyndell title card and see those little white ballsack looking enemies.  I wanted to save Leyndell for after I've defeated the four main shardbearer bosses, as that seems like the natural order of progression.

I also killed Decaying Ekzykes, a white dragon in Caelid that seemed to be consumed by the scarlet rot.  He killed me a couple of times the last time I fought him, but this time I went in with a better plan and a few more levels and more or less mopped the floor with him by using the cliff face nearby to attack him from.  He could still hit me up there, but not easily, and for whatever reason he opted never to take flight and attack me from above.  

Today, I finally got around to wrapping up the Siofra River region.  I'd started it previously, but those fucking arrow snipers were pissing me off, so I went and did some other stuff instead.  Those archer minotaurs are quite possibly the most obnoxious enemy in the game so far.  I know they also pop up in Liurnia.  Hopefully that's it, but I'm sure it's not.

Finally, I ventured to Castle Redmane and joined the festivities with Blaidd and Iron Fist Alexander before murdering Radahn.  At a lower level, I'm sure the fight would have been incredibly difficult, but I've got decent armor and a nice pool of health, so he was unable to one-shot, or even two-shot me.  He probably would have gotten me with that asteroid attack midway through the fight, but I located him at the last second and was able to dodge, although I think he wiped out most if not all of my allies with that one.

With Radahn dead, I made my way to Nokron and the first site of grace there and called it a session.

13 hours ago, briantw said:

Finally, I ventured to Castle Redmane and joined the festivities with Blaidd and Iron Fist Alexander before murdering Radahn.  At a lower level, I'm sure the fight would have been incredibly difficult, but I've got decent armor and a nice pool of health, so he was unable to one-shot, or even two-shot me.  He probably would have gotten me with that asteroid attack midway through the fight, but I located him at the last second and was able to dodge, although I think he wiped out most if not all of my allies with that one.

Yeah, From nerfed him pretty significantly in the last patch.  Less armor, less health, and does less damage.  I was level 90 pre-patch with 40 vigor and everything he threw at me was one or two shotting me.  He was, by quite a large margin, the boss I died the most to.  Every other boss I have been taking down in one or two tries.  That one took about 2 hours.

I have finally started Volcano Manor.  Did 2 of the 3 invasions, Patches invasion, and the dual invasion side quests - and have cleared out the manor up until the final boss.  The last invasion is taking me to the mountaintop of the giants, so finally time to start exploring that section, find a new map, get that invasion, then wrap up the manor.  Should be able to cruise through that tonight, then it's on to the dreaded fire giant and find the other half of this haligree medallion.

I've made it to the final boss, and wow is it a doozy. So many different attacks that can one shot me, and so few opportunities for me to get any hits in. Not helping matters is that I need to beat the second-to-last boss again every time before facing the final boss, with zero break between them. Now that boss isn't too tough, but is no pushover either. And if I use too many flasks in that fight, I don't have a shot at the end. 

Didn't have a ton of time to play tonight, as I had some other plans, but I did get in about an hour just now and managed to make it to Volcano Manor.  I've been given a mission to go slay some Tarnished, and as a fellow Tarnished myself who tends to shoot first and ask questions later, I can safely say that we've probably got it coming.

On the way up the mountain, I also managed to take down the Full-Grown Fallingstar Beast and the Ulcerated Tree Spirit.  The latter of which gave me a pretty sick tear to use in my physick flask.  The former was, as far as I can tell, the exact same enemy as outside the Leyndell walls.  This one seemed tougher, as evidenced by how quickly it handed my mimic tear his ass, but all I really had to do was keep moving and pick my spots.

That Ulcerated Tree Spirit demolished me on the first try, though.  Holy shit.  That's the first time I've been essentially one-shotted in a while.  It was technically a two-shot, but it was one combo and it fucked me up real fast, so close enough.  I got him on the second try, though, mostly by just staying far the fuck away from him while he beat the shit out of my mimic.  

The folks at Volcano Manor tell me that Rykard has been eaten by a snake.  I'm not entirely sure why I can't use this information to toss up a "Mission Accomplished" banner Arrested Development style and just claim his remembrance as my own, but I guess I've got to go murder a snake now.

Made my way to the Mountaintop of the Giants, explored enough to get a map, a few grace sites, and finish up my Volcano Manor killing spree.  Took on Rykard this morning and it was your classic souls gimmick fight

Spoiler

The sword that you get when you walk in has a special that you can just cast over and over until they die.  It completely trivialized the fight.

Now I just have one fight left in the Manor before calling it quits and exploring the mountaintop a bit more.  Need to find the 2nd half of the Haligtree medallion, explore Castle Sol, and find this Fire Giant everyone keeps talking about.

Well shit, I am now just cruising through this section of the game.  Explored the mountaintop of the giants, melted Niall with some infinite comet cheeze, got the other half of the haligree medallion, accidentally stumbled on the fire giant and summoned my mimic tear to take all the aggro and ended up just riding my horse and slashing his ankles til he died, then went to the haligtree and progressed that up to the 3rd bonfire.  Int is high enough that I can finally get rid of the Burger King mask, so now I'm working on getting vigor to 60.  I am supremely over-leveled and have zero qualms about it.  I'm just going to keep moving up as I get enough runes and work my way through the rest of the major bosses.  These new areas have given new life to the game for me, so I'm excited for the rest of the end-game.

I'm not really sure where to go in Volcano manor after killing the fat godskin guy.  Also having a hard time with the last invasion, might have to great shield it which is just cheating. Have a few spots in the Blight to finish up and Deep Root plus the sewers. Finished Ranni's QL and about to finish Fia's. 

Spoiler

Despite seeming to be about the same thing from different angles (the death of Godfrey the golden) they don't really intersect. I have no idea what the dung eater wants.

Even though the fight wasnt hard it took me like 30 tries to kill astel.  His stupid one shot grab move.... for some reason i cannot dodge it.

Got to Melania and she’s…. a challenge. Spent two hours tonight and can get her to about half her second phase, but she can pretty easily one-shot me. May close out a few things and come back later, because she sucks.

And done. Final boss is a true monster of a fight, and one that I couldn't imagine trying to do as a melee character. It feels like a fight where you should be able to summon Torrent, but you can't. Was easily the hardest boss I fought, with the Fire Giant coming in at number two (I only tried Malenia a handful of times, so maybe I'm wrong, but I feel like I could've beaten her if I put in a bit more effort).

Got the Age of Stars ending and clocked in at just over 90 hours. Maybe one day I'll do a NG+ but for now I'm happy to go play other games again. I already started a couple since I couldn't spend more than an hour at a time bashing my head against the final boss.

I never beat Malenia, and never found Mohg. I think those are the only major bosses I missed. There were certainly some minor ones too that I never found at all or never went back to. I also either broke or missed an awful lot of the quests I think. And I never engaged in multiplayer at all. So I'd guess I probably did around 70% fo the content. Just an incredible amount of stuff to do.

So far it's my GOTY, but there sure is/will be a lot fo competition this year.

There are a few things that make the Malenia fight extra challenging and is, so far, one of the hardest bosses I've fought in any of these games. 

Spoiler

1. She heals on hit, so having a meat shield of a mimic isn't great since it's just giving her extra health, makes the fight last longer, and forces you to use a lot of flasks.  Also, she heals through shield blocking.

2. You have to defeat her twice and her second form has all the OHKO stuff from the first form, plus she gives you scarlet rot, can still heal herself on hit, is extra aggressive, and has an extra OHKO bomb move that will kill you if you don't roll precisely and gives you scarlet rot if you do.  Fun.

3. Her sword flurry move is pretty much undodgeable.  The only way I've found to get around this is to run away as far as you can, then on the third flurry do a dodge into the move, followed quickly by a dodge away.  If you're close to a wall?  Dead.

I didn't find any previous bosses, except Rahdan pre-nerf (probably because I was going about that fight at range vs getting hits in when I could on Torrent), to be particularly difficult - but man this one feels like you need to not only be perfect in your execution, but also have some good RNG to not get bombarded by her OHKO attacks.  I think I'm going to just move on with the multiple dungeons I have available, get a bit more MP so I can get closer to zero MP after spamming my spells, and try again later.  I feel like I'm pretty close, but that 2nd half of this fight is just killing me with how random my deaths feel.

1 hour ago, aceluby said:

Rahdan pre-nerf

Apparently that nerf was an error, and he's hard again now.

I may finally finish this tonight. Had to take a Stellaris break after playing 80% of the game twice.

I read through this "proper order" guide and damn I missed a lot of NPCs.

https://gamerant.com/elden-ring-guide-intended-route-no-spoilers/

Welp, guess I’m taking a break from this game. Let the kid watch a movie yesterday, put the game in its case, went to get it last night and the case was open and empty. Cleaned the entire house with my wife looking for it and can’t find it anywhere. Hopefully it turns up (and still functions) because as great as this game is, I’m not paying full price twice for it

Found my game last night!  Had to take apart the couch to get it and have no idea how it got there, but it still works.  Was going to go do some random stuff, but I was already in front of Malenia so why not give it a few shots?  Well an hour (maybe 2) later and I was able to get lucky with some infinite laser beam cheese and the spell AOE buff that turned it into a stun-locker.  Apparently that was the spell increase was the game changer.  A fight I will likely never do again, but it's done and now exploring Azula and finishing up a few sidequests.

Got a new friend to join our multi player run on the PS5 last night. We took on Starscourge Radahn together. Not gona lie, this might be one of the greatest boss fights I've ever seen put into a video game. I'll post more about it, in a week or two, once the video we made is finished.

I acknowledge this is bonkers but I started a third character. So I've gotta be pushing 300 hours and have never advanced past the Fire Giant. (Didn't actually ever try him on my melee/multiplayer character)

It was just confusing, what I had and hadn't done on that character. Plus I killed some seemingly useless NPCs before their quests were finished in patch 1.03. So now I'm using this checklist guide I linked a version of earlier:

https://roundtable-hold.github.io/tracker/

It's not perfect, like if you ask me going into Calied via the trapped chest is worth losing one bit of dialogue. 

I dunno I'm having a lot of fun. The start of the game is the best part. It's nice to be able to beat these bosses without grinding for levels. Got both Margitt and Godrick on the first try, they seemed so hard before. I'm just doing a strength/axe build again. The Executioners Greataxe dropped on the second try. Last time I had to kill that one skeleton like 60+ times. I'm still getting summoned to help people constantly, but the invaders seem to have chilled out a little or moved on (on Xbox one, at least. )

I've also started a new one in the interest of sequence breaking and seeing if there is different dialogue. I've already kind of broken things as I got both dectis halves before getting to roundtable hold so Ensha has not attacked me.

I was going to see what happens if you kill Margott before Margit but I like leveling my spirits so thats out.

I'm not sure if I can via Varre but I want to get Mohgs rune first. If need be that will be second after Redahn.

EDIT: I just realized varre won't move till you get a great rune or maybe just kill Godrick so thats out. Redahn it is.

Archived