Elden Ring

RumHam

11 hours ago, RumHam said:

I never played either, I only recently realized Sekiro wasn't a playstation exclusive. I should play it.

It's a great game.  Much faster paced than any of the others with some really unique mechanics compared to the other games they've made.  Feels much tighter since you really only have one weapon, there aren't a ton of upgrade paths, and no real leveling.  It's basically just you, your sword, and your skill.  It heavily relies on parries and breaking posture vs health, but they are much easier than other games.  I put it in a class on its own when compared to other From games, just because it is both so good, and yet has some very key differences.

2 hours ago, aceluby said:

It's a great game.  Much faster paced than any of the others with some really unique mechanics compared to the other games they've made.  Feels much tighter since you really only have one weapon, there aren't a ton of upgrade paths, and no real leveling.  It's basically just you, your sword, and your skill.  It heavily relies on parries and breaking posture vs health, but they are much easier than other games.  I put it in a class on its own when compared to other From games, just because it is both so good, and yet has some very key differences.

I also think it's a great game. Wasn't as big a fan of the fights until I realized the fights are literally a rhythm game like say rock band. Once you get that, smooth sailing.

Started NG+ last night and decided that I wanted to use this run to do that NPC walkthrough @RumHam posted a few weeks back.  So far I've gotten through Godrick, just need to finish up Rogier's quest and unlock the Rune and I'll be done w/ Limgrave.  I had a lot of fun with Margit since I just let my mimic solo him.  Couldn't kill him on its own, but it was fun to watch. 

I'm kinda torn on what weapons I want to use though, I have two Moonveils which do quite a bit of damage on their own and have bleed - but I also have two cold Uchi's that do less damage, but can proc both cold AND bleed.  I'm leaning toward the Uchi's at this point just for that double proc ability. 

I'm also realizing after reading the NPC quests that there is just SO MUCH to this game.  I'd like to skip some of this, but everything is so intertwined it's hard to skip parts and not miss out on NPC side quests that I missed before.  At least I can skip a lot of the side dungeons. 

Did a few boss fights with my friends last night. One fight in particular will make for an amusing video. At the start of the night he was the strongest things we've ever faced and killed us quite a few times and by the end of the night, we beat him in less than a minute.

I decided to do another run to test whether I've actually gotten good by not using summons for major bosses and most other stuff, although I got the shits and used one for the tree sentinel in front of the capital after the 5th death sub 10% due to the terrain.

I've made it up to the thorns in under 20 hours doing most quest lines so I think I've actually managed to pick up a fair bit of the muscle memory to make it work which is a pleasant surprise. I'd seen people say that playing melee without a summon gives you better control over what the boss does so it's actually easier once you've got the mechanics down and I'm definitely seeing some truth to that.

Got through the entirety of Liurnia over the weekend and started Ranni's quest to get a 2nd Darkmoon Greatsword.  I think I'm going to try to puppet Dung Eater and hope I can absolve my sins w/ Ranni after doing so.  All the guides say its possible, so will go that route.  Next portion should be finishing out Radahn, some of the underground stuff to get me ready for Ranni, find a seedbed curse for DE, free him, then give him Seluvis' potion to get his puppet summon.  Then I should be able to finish out Ranni's quest, get my sword, then work toward the Frenzied Flame ending.

15 hours ago, aceluby said:

Got through the entirety of Liurnia over the weekend and started Ranni's quest to get a 2nd Darkmoon Greatsword.  I think I'm going to try to puppet Dung Eater and hope I can absolve my sins w/ Ranni after doing so.  All the guides say its possible, so will go that route.  Next portion should be finishing out Radahn, some of the underground stuff to get me ready for Ranni, find a seedbed curse for DE, free him, then give him Seluvis' potion to get his puppet summon.  Then I should be able to finish out Ranni's quest, get my sword, then work toward the Frenzied Flame ending.

You don't even need to absolve sins, you can just do the Seluvis quest through to the point where you have the potion to give to Ranni then don't ever do anything with it. You can buy the dungeater puppet by that point. Easiest seedbed curse is just as you're getting into Leyndell - after the ramparts with the Envoys (the snowman toot guys) you head down the lift, go up the ladder then up the stairs in the first building after that and its on a corpse on a chair. You climb the ladder anyway getting into Leyndell so the only extra step is making sure you go up the stairs. Unless you use the waygate after Fia's champions in Deeproot depths instead of beating the tree sentinel - I have no idea where that puts you lol.

11 hours ago, karaddin said:

You don't even need to absolve sins, you can just do the Seluvis quest through to the point where you have the potion to give to Ranni then don't ever do anything with it. You can buy the dungeater puppet by that point. Easiest seedbed curse is just as you're getting into Leyndell - after the ramparts with the Envoys (the snowman toot guys) you head down the lift, go up the ladder then up the stairs in the first building after that and its on a corpse on a chair. You climb the ladder anyway getting into Leyndell so the only extra step is making sure you go up the stairs. Unless you use the waygate after Fia's champions in Deeproot depths instead of beating the tree sentinel - I have no idea where that puts you lol.

Awesome tips, thank you!  BTW the waygate after Fia's champions takes you underground in Mohg's area

The invasion system in this game is beyond broken. Had almost no time to prepare for some of these, the invader would just appear in our world and instantly try to kill us.

8 hours ago, aceluby said:

Awesome tips, thank you!  BTW the waygate after Fia's champions takes you underground in Mohg's area

Yeah I may have missed something with Fia's quest, because I went ahead and killed her in the underground section after she used Ricard(?) against me.  Trusting her there instead seemed like a pretty dumb idea but I think that meant the way gate didn't open. 

2 hours ago, mcbigski said:

Yeah I may have missed something with Fia's quest, because I went ahead and killed her in the underground section after she used Ricard(?) against me.  Trusting her there instead seemed like a pretty dumb idea but I think that meant the way gate didn't open. 

That next step is right near the end of her quest, especially if you'd already progressed Ranni's quest to the point you can get to the divine tower of liurnia to get the quest mark from her physical body - I'd done this twice without doing these quests, I'd just gone there assuming I needed to awaken Rennala's rune lol. You give her the curse mark, she falls asleep and you fight Fortissax and you get the rune of death, then if you've done D's quest and reload she'll be dead anyway with D's brother standing over her. Did killing her block you from Fortissax?

On 5/4/2022 at 12:36 AM, karaddin said:

Did killing her block you from Fortissax?

I think so.  I'll have to go back and look, but I sort of remember a teleportation gate there that still wasn't activated.  Been a while since I was down there, kind of got busy with other stuff and also got bogged down by all those banished knights in Farum Azula.  (Glinstone Phalanx, or something like that, helped immensely to stagger them.)

Currently died on my first attempt against Rickard, and have just the sentinel, final boss and optional boss in Farum Azula, and only gotten to the first bonfire in consecrated snowfields, but pretty much done everything else up to that point that I'm aware of.  Heard that finishing off Farum Azula closes off some other quests so cleaning up some things first.  I'm probably over leveled and under skilled lol.

Yeah the last boss in Farum Azula is the 'point of no return' for the game, although the majority of it is still accessible. You missed the opportunity to cheese Rykkard - I discovered yesterday that you have to beat him properly now. You used to be able to stunlock him with the serpent hunter weapon haha, it gets a lot more hectic in phase 2 without the stunlock.

9 hours ago, karaddin said:

Yeah the last boss in Farum Azula is the 'point of no return' for the game, although the majority of it is still accessible. You missed the opportunity to cheese Rykkard - I discovered yesterday that you have to beat him properly now. You used to be able to stunlock him with the serpent hunter weapon haha, it gets a lot more hectic in phase 2 without the stunlock.

"Beat him properly".  Just level up the gimmick sword, the fight is trivial.

Archived