Elden Ring

RumHam

56 minutes ago, Slurktan said:

"Beat him properly".  Just level up the gimmick sword, the fight is trivial.

I'm not sure if you're not following what I'm saying, or if you're being an elitist dick? Using the first weapon art on the gimmick sword you could cheese the fight by essentially stunlocking him with staggers, that no longer works and you have to deal with the mechanics of his actual attacks including spreading lava everywhere and turning your entire screen into flaming skulls.

Yes the gimmick sword still makes it a lot easier and it didn't take me that many attempts to kill him, but I had to learn his mechanics and respond to them. Ie beating him properly.

I've got no delusions of being a good player. This was my first souls game, I had no idea what I was doing when I started and I cheesed everything I could so I'm pretty satisfied about clearing most of the game now as melee without even using a summon.

On 5/6/2022 at 10:15 AM, karaddin said:

I've got no delusions of being a good player. This was my first souls game, I had no idea what I was doing when I started and I cheesed everything I could so I'm pretty satisfied about clearing most of the game now as melee without even using a summon.

As you should, tackling the game without summons is definitely a challenge run. I’ve also heard they patched Rykard so you can’t just cheese him to death, so it seems you’re doing awesome!

I just finished Radahn and started Rannis quest underground. Then I’ll get Dung Eater and his puppet , finish Ranni, then lock myself into the Frenzied ending. Shouldn’t be too much longer before I finish this run and then start my platinum run to finish out the game. Should take me past 200 hours total.

On 5/6/2022 at 11:15 AM, karaddin said:

Yes the gimmick sword still makes it a lot easier and it didn't take me that many attempts to kill him, but I had to learn his mechanics and respond to them. Ie beating him properly.

I ended up using the mimic ash with the serpent spear or whatever equipped and beat him way more easily.  First time through I kept spamming the weapon art not realizing the regular RB attack was most of what was needed.

Made one run at the optional dragon boss in Farum whatever.  Got demolished by his ranged attack.  Need a block of an hour or so to figure that out.

4 hours ago, mcbigski said:

Made one run at the optional dragon boss in Farum whatever.  Got demolished by his ranged attack.  Need a block of an hour or so to figure that out.

He's the only main boss other than Malenia I left for after finishing Elden Beast on the challenge run, which is where I'm at now. I know Malenia is still going to kick my ass so haven't felt a burning need to jump back in haha, but I consider the "no summons, melee" challenge run quite a success even if I never go back.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/6/2022 at 11:15 AM, karaddin said:

I'm not sure if you're not following what I'm saying, or if you're being an elitist dick? Using the first weapon art on the gimmick sword you could cheese the fight by essentially stunlocking him with staggers, that no longer works and you have to deal with the mechanics of his actual attacks including spreading lava everywhere and turning your entire screen into flaming skulls.

No, saying "beat him properly" actually makes you the elitist dick. I couldn't care less on how you beat him and was giving a helpful tip. Levelling up the gimmick sword makes it's special mives hit harder thus the fight goes faster and you don't have to dodge as much.

Try not to be as toxic as a lot of the souls fan base. Challenge is what you want it to be, nobody should care if you "get gud" or what not.

Out of curiosity to you is using comet of azur to essentially one shot most bosses cheese? 

54 minutes ago, Slurktan said:

No, saying "beat him properly" actually makes you the elitist dick. I couldn't care less on how you beat him and was giving a helpful tip. Levelling up the gimmick sword makes it's special mives hit harder thus the fight goes faster and you don't have to dodge as much.

Try not to be as toxic as a lot of the souls fan base. Challenge is what you want it to be, nobody should care if you "get gud" or what not.

Out of curiosity to you is using comet of azur to essentially one shot most bosses cheese? 

Thanks for the clarification, your prior post makes sense and I think you've misread my tone which was meant to be self deprecating and judging only myself. On my first play through I was cheesing everything I could, which included trying but failing to cheese Mogh because it had been nerfed and cheesing Godskin Noble. 

To answer your question I'd say comet azur is "cheesy" but not "cheese" which probably sounds like a distinction without a difference, but means something at least in my head. Outright cheese is the sort of thing I mean above with Mogh and Godskin Noble - triggering a glitch that causes the AI to not get activated so they just sit there and let you kill them. Cheesy does not involve glitches and is completely legitimate and anyone saying otherwise is being that elitist dick I raised, but it is utilising tools that allow you to avoid needing to deal with some/all of the mechanics of the fight. So all I meant is that because I'd avoided dealing with Rykards mechanics before, I had no idea what the second phase involved and I now needed to engage with that.

I recognise that this is probably not at all what most people would mean when using these words about souls games and that's on me. Now I'm actually understanding what you meant, you're right.

ETA: I'm also terrible at trying to blow bosses up with comet azur and failed half the time i even tried lol, you still have to execute it right. I only really managed to get it working with minibosses, all the main story bosses just move or jump over and knock my skull in. I think I needed to commit to glass canon to make that work, which is just further evidence that it's entirely legit.

Am I doing it wrong?  Comet of Azur hasn't seemed overpowered compared to Rock Sling or even the various glintstones.  Bigger damage but longer windup. And different dodge mechanics and damage types.  what cheese am i missing?  haven't played much lately so still need to beat maliketh and miquella and plaxidus but otherwise mostly complete afaik.

You use comet azur with terra magica and then the flask tear that ignores fp cost for 15 seconds. Add the tear that gives magic damage or extra stagger to taste.

And then you shoot a laser for 18 seconds or so and melts things as long as they don't move out of the way. 

On 5/24/2022 at 1:07 PM, KalVsWade said:

You use comet azur with terra magica and then the flask tear that ignores fp cost for 15 seconds. Add the tear that gives magic damage or extra stagger to taste.

And then you shoot a laser for 18 seconds or so and melts things as long as they don't move out of the way. 

I submit as evidence of my failure to even do comet azur effectively the fact that I was never using terra magica lol. Short duration buffs are annoying when I'm fighting with the mouse+kb control scheme.

Archived