H.G. Wells' The Time Machine (and ASoIaF)

Fun Guy from Yuggoth

Found another Meera = Weena clue.  In Hindi mera means "my, mine" and directly above it is memna meaning "kid, lamb" and mem means "madam, European lady" and medh means "sacrificial offering"

Bran is a "kid" and he calls Meera "my lady" and Wyna means "lamb" and lambs are a sacrificial offering and Meera is a highborn lady.

And below mera is Mount Meru, which is the central world axis in Hindu mythology.  The Weirwoods are the central world axis in ASoIaF, like the Yggdrasil in Norse myth.

On the previous page memhri / memhra  (sounds like "Memory")  means "goat"  and memra means "well"  And the weirwoods are the Black Goat, and they are down a well, and they are the Memory of the World.

-----

I don't have all the details worked out, but in the Time Machine, he conspicuously mentions Rhododendrons several times in relation to the Eloi. 

Rhododendron means "red tree" or "red branch"

and in the far future, humans have devolved into red crabs  --craobh means "branch, tree" so "red branch"

Red Branch is the name of a cycle of Irish myths.

1 hour ago, By Odin's Beard said:

Found another Meera = Weena clue.  In Hindi mera means "my, mine" and directly above it is memna meaning "kid, lamb" and mem means "madam, European lady" and medh means "sacrificial offering"

I don't know if this ties into your word association or not, but there is a star named "Mira" and it's located on the neck of the Cetus constellation.  Cetus is the sea monster which Andromeda was to be sacrificed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mira

50 minutes ago, Frey family reunion said:

I don't know if this ties into your word association or not, but there is a star named "Mira" and it's located on the neck of the Cetus constellation.  Cetus is the sea monster which Andromeda was to be sacrificed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mira

Yes, I have posted that several times in the past.  The weirwood network under Westeros is itself is the sea monster / Medusa, and Bran is Perseus, and he slays the monsters.  Perseus had the Mirror Shield, he could fly, he had the Pegasus, and he had Hades' helmet that allowed him to see in the dark. 

Serwyn of the Mirror Shield is a Long Night / Yuggoth / Black Planet reference, as cerwyn means "vat" and sgail means "eclipse, shadow" and "mirror"  --and Bran's Cauldron brought the dead back to life--and Bran's Cauldron will bring the dead back to life during the Long Night eclipse.

And Bran will be one of the few characters who are not hindered by the Long Night, because he loves the dark now, and can see in the dark.

The Night-vision helmet is an idea which George really likes and he used in In the House of the Worm and the Stone City.  And the spaceship from Stone City is called the Pegasus. --so a flying horse = spaceship, and when Perseus kills the Medusa, the Pegasus is launched out of her neck.  And the Stone City ends with Holt being lost in time in something very much like a weirwood network in a cave.

There is also a theme of time-travel making you go insane in the Stone City, and at the end of the Time Machine he hints that time-travel was making him insane and he could not tell what was real anymore, and I think that going into the weirwood network makes people go insane--like with Patchface, and Uran is Bran after being in the network too long.

While I am thinking about hydras and medusas, I just got the Tolkien book Morgoth's Ring, and while staring at the cover I realized that the phrase "Valar Morghulis" is essentially George's version of "Hail Hydra" or "Hail Satan"--it is a secret phrase among a death cult that they all say to each other.  It is saying "praise to the Valar named Morgoth"  --who is the god of death and who caused a generation-long Great Darkness when he made the sun go out (twice I think, the Two Lamps, and then the Two Trees)

In George's story In the House of the Worm, the death cult Yaga-la-hai say "praise the white worm" to each other, and the White Worm is the god of Death.

Morgath in Welsh means "foul weather, stormy seas"

marbh cath in Gaelic means "calamity"

morgadh (sounds like "morgoo") means "death, decay, corruption" in Gaelic

marwgoel means "death omen" in Welsh

marwolaeth  means "death" in Welsh.

In Hindi vallah means "by Allah" and vala means "high, lofty" and vali means "lord, master"

Just browsing through the Hindi dictionary for words related to the Black Goat and Valar Morghulis and Morgoth

marg means "death"

margi means "traveler, wayfarer, pilgrim"

And the Stranger/Yuggoth is the god of death and it is a wanderer (planet) from far places.  And one of the gods of death is the Hooded Wayfarer.

valay means "ring shaped object" and margola means "ring shaped"--Which I think is referring to the corona of the eclipse when the Stranger eclipses the sun during the Long Night, which is the Night King's Crown, (corona = crown ~ crow = corone, and Bran's Cauldron brings the dead back to life)

So Valar Morghulis might be a reference to the Long Night

Goat

Recall that yog means "conjunction of planets"  --so yog + ghot = Yuggoth

So ghot / ghut  "to choke, to strangle" and "polished" and "to shave clean, " --and the Black Goat "clears the Earth" and the Black Goat strangles the Sun and the Black Goat is the Mirror Shield (~ sgail = "eclipse, shadow, mirror" )

Yuggoth is a black planet made entirely out of polished black stone, and so is the Stranger

ghotala means "disorder, confusion"

ghat means "to conceal, to cover" and "treachery" and "trickster" and the Black Goat hides the sun.  And Loki and his children eclipse the sun at Ragnarok, and in Norse rogg means "goat's hair, shaggy" and rok means "doom" and rokr means "twilight"

ghat means "killing, murdering"

ghati means "lying in wait, lurking" --and Yuggoth is a lurking black planet.

ghat means "landing place" and ghatiha means "boat" and "dishonest, cunning"

ghatiya means "attack, blow"

So marg ("death, stranger") + ghot ("killing, eclipse, strangle") = Morgoth, and is a Black Goat reference. 

1 hour ago, By Odin's Beard said:

marg means "death"

margi means "traveler, wayfarer, pilgrim"

valay means "ring shaped object" and margola means "ring shaped"--Which I think is referring to the corona of the eclipse when the Stranger eclipses the sun during the Long Night, which is the Night King's Crown, (corona = crown ~ crow = corone, and Bran's Cauldron brings the dead back to life)

So Valar Morghulis might be a reference to the Long Night

Recall that yog means "conjunction of planets"  --so yog + ghot = Yuggoth

So marg ("death, stranger") + ghot ("killing, eclipse, strangle") = Morgoth, and is a Black Goat reference. 

Whoa, just realized that Morgoth's Ring  is the ring of eclipse during the Long Night--aka, the Night King's Crown.  Morgoth is the Lord of Darkness who caused the sun to go dark.

I missed a couple strong Time Traveler = Bran clues:

At the end of the story when the narrator touches the machine:

I stared for a minute at the Time Machine and put out my hand and touched the lever. At that the squat substantial-looking mass swayed like a bough shaken by the wind.

The Time Machine is compared to a tree branch, and Bran's summons to the Otherworld was a tree branch.

And in the Celtic Otherworld is the Land of Always Summer, and the Eloi live in a land of always summer.  The Celtic Otherworld is also depicted as being in a cave, and the Morlocks live in caves.

In Anglo-Saxon, wynn means "joy" and the first island Bran voyages to is the Isle of Joy.

In Gaelic, Bran means "mountain stream" and uanaighe means "mountain torrent" and cubran and uanaighe  both mean "froth, foam" (craobh also means "froth, foam" and "branch, gush")

And when the Time Traveler first arrives in the future, it is raining and hailing.  And in Gaelic braon means "rain, drizzle, drop, shower"

Just listened to Robert E. Howard's The Devil in Iron  again, and it is about an otherworldly demon who is made of iron and can only be killed by a dagger made from a meteor. 

-------------

Cthulhu = the Black Goat/Yuggoth

In Welsh, callawr means "cauldron" and I just found that cuddawl (sounds like "cuda-ool") means "moving about, to hover" and cuddiawl  (sounds like "cud-ia-ool") means "to darken over, to hide" and cuddiaw means "to hide, to conceal, to cover, to put out of sight"

A cauldron that hovers about, and darkens/hides/conceals is an exact description of what Yuggoth the Black Goat does.  When Cthulhu rises he will destroy the Earth, when Yuggoth rises it will destroy the Earth.

The Callawr out of Space

In the Colour out of Space, a meteor lands on Earth containing an alien vampire smoke monster, that sucks the life out of everything and turns everything grey.  

Callawr sounds like "call-a-oor" ~ "colour"--the Colour out of Space is the Callawr out of Space, the Cauldron out of Space, the Black Goat/Yuggoth, which creates an Endless Night on Earth and sucks the life out.

So I have already established that the Ark EEC ship from Tuf Voyaging is Yuggoth/Yagalla.  

I just found out that in Greek tafos means "grave, tomb, vault" and tafee means "burial, interment" 

In Hindi tufan means "disastrous flood" and "calamity" and tufani means "mischief-making" and "flying squad"

In Old Norse taufr means "sorcerer" in Old Norse

-----

In Lovecraft's The Tree on the Hill, an amber crystal controls the Black Goat / Yuggoth planet, and I just learned that in Anglo-Saxon, amber means "vessel, tankard, pail"

ETA, I just realized that in At the Mountains of Madness, the Ark is Yuggoth and it is found in  Antarctica, amidst Archaean monstrosities.

Addition to my theory that Cthulhu and R'lyeh both refer to the Black Planet Yuggoth:

In the Whisperer in Darkness, the crabs say that Yuggoth is "rolling alone in black ether at the edge of the solar system"

And I just found that roladh / roil / rolla / rolloir  all mean "rolling" or "rolling stone"  ~ R'leyh

And reilige means "grave" and Yuggoth comes from uigh = "wanderer" and uaigh = "grave"

and raille / roille  means "vagabond"

And in the Call of Cthulhu, he says that Cthulhu came from a Dark Star, and that R'leyh is a black stone crypt that is not of this Earth. 

And reul / reil  means "star" and loch  means "dark, black" = reul-loch ~ R'lyeh

And roitleit (sounds like "ro-ley"?) means "roll" and "shaggy" which is a reference to the Black Goat.

Archived