Video Games - Storage Space Blues

Rhom

Other topic has hit 21 pages.  Elden Ring and Cyberpunk have their own pages.  Figured I'd go ahead and get us a new general talking space.

I know its been discussed before, but I'm continually amazed at the lack of storage space on modern consoles compared to the size of today's games.  My son called me downstairs this morning needing me to clear space on the storage because NBA2K22 needed a 6.5GB update.  We only had 5GB available.

Currently installed on our PS5 are:

NBA2K22 (takes up over 100GB)
Madden 2022 (about 72GB I think)
Fortnite
Ghost of Tsushima
Horizon Forbidden West
Final Fantasy VII Remake with Intergrade  (over 90GB)

A couple weeks ago, I bought a 2TB external storage drive.  I moved Mass Effect Legendary Edition over there.  Since its a PS4 game, it is actually playable directly from that drive.  Any PS5 games are just there for storage.  Since I'm working on GoT and Horizon currently, I moved FFVIIR over to the storage for now to clear up space for the giant hard drive muncher that is 2K22.

With the relative affordability of storage drives these days, I don't really understand why the current console generations have such small onboard storage.  :dunno: Or maybe most people aren't hoarders at heart like me.  :dunno:

Some pretty hype stuff here.

Free content patch for Legends:Arceus dropping and oh by the way Generation 9 by the end of the year. Somewhat disappointed but not unsurprised that it's back to split versions, though I hope it keeps all the other massive improvements to the game paradigm that they brought in with Arceus.

I have to say that Days Gone has become surprisingly very impressive. For a game that's so amazingly beige at the start, it really improves immensely over its length. The Hordes are amazing and the story gets much better as it goes along, especially when it pulls a Horizon Zero Dawn and starts rooting into the backstory and premise in a really impressive way.

I feel the storage space pain. I have a laptop that can run most modern games at low settings. But I can really only have one game installed at a time because of the hard drive space, especially since I also use the laptop for work. Some games, like Horizon Zero Dawn, take up so much storage space I doubt I'll ever buy it.

These Pokemon announcements are weirdly timed. I was going to buy Legends Arceus, but now I might hold off since it seems there's another open world Pokemon game coming in 8 months. It all seems a bit overkill.

But I'm mainly bummed by the news because if Pokemon is Nintendo's big holiday title, that means BOTW 2 is probably being delayed to 2023. I can't imagine they want Zelda and Pokemon competing with each other, especially when Nintendo has a ton of other games coming out this year already.

9 hours ago, Poobah said:

Somewhat disappointed but not unsurprised that it's back to split versions, though I hope it keeps all the other massive improvements to the game paradigm that they brought in with Arceus.

It looks to be open world at least- potentially more fully than Legends? I dunno that we'll see the catching system stay the exact same though, or at least won't have the research tasks to have you focus on it as much, and they'll definitely return battling to the deeper system in the main games (they might bring over Bravely/Default I suppose, but in every other way the battle system in Arceus was simplified from the mainline games, and they won't keep it that way). 
My main hope is that if it is open world they adjust the gym system to allow you to tackle it in any order. 

I imagine they'll run the two series- mainline and Legends- parallel unless this absolutely bombs compared to Arceus, if it does they'll fold them together. I'd expect a Legends game set in early Hoenn next, just because that seems the most likely adaptable for the area system in Legends, and for the myth-based story too. 

FAR: Changing Tides released today; it's a sequel to FAR: Lone Sails from a few years ago. I thought Lone Sails was a great little indie game, and I was looking forward to Changing Tides when I heard about it. Unfortunately it's kinda overshadowed by other, bigger releases right now; but I do hope to eventually check it out. Maybe after I finish Elden Ring, whenever that is; although I still need to get back to by CP2077 1.5 patch replay I had started too.

I guess in a bit to get my mind off of things, I managed to get The Settlers 3 to run on my computer again. I think I mentioned previously about how the game is still as good as it always was, but had gotten some interesting observations after playing this after such a dreadfully long time:

First, The Settlers 4 spoiled me with its various challenging mission objectives (even though they were sometimes buggy as hell). Here the mission is pretty much always to wipe out all enemy factions or wipe out specific enemy factions, no variations at all.

Secondly, I take it back, the difficulty level is still pretty much the same as I remember. After playing through the Roman campaign in record time where I had hardly any difficulty at all, I went straight for the Amazon campaign. And by god, it is just as insane as I remember. So in the very first mission you start on a tiny peninsular with minuscule coal and iron deposits, just enough to rush weapon production and have some troops scrounged together to defend from the initial attacks and expand north to the mainland. There you are greeted by a giant horizontal blob of entirely passable mountain. Meaning you have to spread out to the left and the right while leaving the entirety of that width open to attack from the Egyptians sitting on the other side of that mountain. Also the only (extremely meager) gold deposit is on the other side of that mountain, outside of the reach of your towers and dangerously close to the Egyptians. So you have to get there with pioneers and protect them with your low attack power units from getting slaughtered by Egyptian sallies. The rest of the mountain only has lots of iron, as well as spotty amounts of coal and gemstones. If you feel cheeky and try to use the Amazons' special Alchemist Lab building to make gold out of sulfur and gemstones, tough luck. There is no sulfur on the entire map. Experienced Settlers players may also remember that Egyptians can use gemstones instead of gold to buff their troops, meaning they have massive numerical advantage, a larger economy AND a much higher attack modifier. This... is the first mission. In baffling contrast to how the campaign's story is about the Amazons wrecking everyone almost unopposed.

GW2's End of Dragons expansion launched with an a fairly nice animated trailer, though I do have to wonder how much of their budget they put in to it 'cause my understanding is that these things don't come cheap:

That said having played the first chapter of the expansion story and taken a look around the first map so far I'm quite impressed.

Decided I was going to knock out the Iki Island in Ghost of Tsushima last night.  I had been up late one night this weekend and did three story quests and explored the entirety of the island.  I had found every shrine and haiku and whatnot.  Saved my game just before the start of the last story mission.

Get on last night and when I hit continue; it was like none of that had happened.  Backed out of the game and I have trophies from Saturday night for doing some of those things; but zero save files.  No auto save.  No manual save.  Nothing. :tantrum:

I redid all the story missions and finished the one I had left; but left the map unexplored and all the ? undiscovered. I’m not a completionist; but those things are generally simple in this game if a little time consuming.

Deleted the game (you know… storage space blues) and am ready to go feet first into Horizon.

The worst part of it is, I had a stressful day at work yesterday and I was staying up late for some gaming to unwind! :lol: 

On 2/26/2022 at 9:27 AM, Derfel Cadarn said:

Finally remembered Iron Man VR on the PS is a thing, and got it delivered today. Not had a chance to play it yet.

I got this for Christmas and haven't gotten a chance to play it yet.  I heard it's kinda short, but also that it's super fun.

Completed Days Gone. I liked the fact it has a post-main-story epilogue. Nothing too much, but a few extra missions and stories, the opportunity to finish off all the hordes and then a big epilogue story revelation, setting-up-a-sequel-that-is-not-happening. Certainly not a Red Dead Redemption 2 level of epilogue, but it's a nice way of showing the world carrying on after the story ending. I even did a few of the challenges, but got annoyed that they gimped your character back to his starting status and you lose all your gained skills, so nope to that.

Considering what to play next. I really want to finish off my Final Fantasy VII replay, but not sure if I'm fully up for that. Iron Harvest, depicting a full-scale war in eastern Europe, feels a bit too on the nose at the moment. Expeditions Rome seems the likely choice.

I guess in a bit to get my mind off of things, I managed to get The Settlers 3 to run on my computer again. I think I mentioned previously about how the game is still as good as it always was, but had gotten some interesting observations after playing this after such a dreadfully long time:

New Settlers game this month, I believe, which is a reset of the franchise.

15 hours ago, Werthead said:

New Settlers game this month, I believe, which is a reset of the franchise.

Yes... and all preview tests are ripping it to shreds for being an abysmally simplified multiplayer game. Then again, Settlers fans are a picky bunch. Pretty much only Settlers 2-4 are universally loved.

The Expeditions Rome tooltips are some quality comedy.

"Augments your display with extra pixels from beyond time and space."

"Prevents screen tearing. On the screen, not in reality. If your cat tears the screen, we can't help you."

"Renders in a borderless window mode. Note, during mosquito season we recommend keeping the window closed."

Triangle Strategy releases on Switch tomorrow and the reviews have started dropping. Seems a bit of a mixed bag, some liking or loving all of it, some disliking the writing but liking the combat, some the other way around, and some not liking any of it.

It's way down my list of possible games at this point, there's too much stuff out there. But if anyone does play it, I'd be interested in your thoughts.

4 hours ago, Fez said:

Triangle Strategy releases on Switch tomorrow and the reviews have started dropping. Seems a bit of a mixed bag, some liking or loving all of it, some disliking the writing but liking the combat, some the other way around, and some not liking any of it.

It's way down my list of possible games at this point, there's too much stuff out there. But if anyone does play it, I'd be interested in your thoughts.

I wonder why they keep forgetting to come up with proper titles for their games? Octopath Traveler also got released under it's working title. Anyway yeah it'll be a long time before I get to that one. My switch backlog is huge.

1 hour ago, RumHam said:

I wonder why they keep forgetting to come up with proper titles for their games? Octopath Traveler also got released under it's working title. Anyway yeah it'll be a long time before I get to that one. My switch backlog is huge.

One of the producers on both games was Tomoya Asano. He was also involved in Bravely Default, its sequel Bravely Second, and the Third Game Bravely Default 2. The other game he's produced in the timeframe he's made all these is a mobile game called Various Daylife.

So, apparently, Tomoya Asano fucking sucks at naming games. 

Anyway, Kirby and the Forgotten Land demo out on the eshop. Had fun with it. Looks to have transposed Kirby to 3D quite well - concerns about it aping Odyssey are unfounded (it's not open world or open-levels, for starters). 

@IlyaP

While everyone else is hitting that Elden Ring buffet table, I'm over here making my way through Shadowrun: Dragonfall - Director's Cut and The Ascent. Oh, and of course, am still in the early parts of a second play-through of Cyberpunk 2077. There's a cool new mod that adds vehicle combat which looks immensely fun (installed last night, haven't had a chance to test it out yet).

I was playing through Dragonfall last year and just kind of stalled out.  I'm not sure why; I just sort of stopped playing.  I need to pick back up.  I think I was frustrated because I sort of went half heartedly into Decking with my main character and so I really struggle in those sections.  Should have just focused her elsewhere and used the party member (I don't remember who that was) that can do that sort of stuff.

Archived