Video Games - Storage Space Blues

Rhom

My therapist told me I should go ahead and play WoW. I told her I can't play enough and will fall behind. She said to play anyway. Then a box arrived containing the WoW books I ordered...Chronicle 1-3 and the cinematic art book. So I played WoW for two nights in a row which is an indulgent binge these days.

Playing The Feud: Wild West Tactics, another Wild West XCOM-alike. Perfectly competent, though made on a very low budget. No voice acting, and the focus is the story mode which just moves from battle to battle to battle, with a very limited amount of skill-levelling.

It's solid but unspectacular so far. Seeing flapping lips via canned animations and text at the bottom of the screen is very early 2000s.

7 hours ago, Inkdaub said:

My therapist told me I should go ahead and play WoW. I told her I can't play enough and will fall behind. She said to play anyway. Then a box arrived containing the WoW books I ordered...Chronicle 1-3 and the cinematic art book. So I played WoW for two nights in a row which is an indulgent binge these days.

WoW? Maybe tell your therapist it’s not  2010 any more

10 hours ago, Inkdaub said:

I don't care how much you love him saurfang is not your therapist 

14 hours ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Maybe tell your therapist it’s not  2010 any more

My therapist would love to hear that from me.

11 hours ago, Kalibuster said:

saurfang is not your therapist

Well, you know, not technically...

I still have my vanilla release collectors edition box as perfectly packed as it could be, along with its mini Diablo in game pet. I had fun for a few hours in the Classic re-release but I agree it's not quite the same when I can't log on for like two five hour sessions a day like I could in 2006.

Then again I'm blasting in D2R right now and it's great to be on bnet again so what do I know. 

On 4/11/2022 at 11:53 AM, polishgenius said:

I need to buy a new 3ds, transfer my library from the busted one and update them all soon. Great little console.

If the 3D effect is not important to you, you might consider 2DSs. They tend to be newer and many are practically unused. The basic 2DS turned out to be surprisingly comfortable, IMHO, not to mention that they are  cheap. The XL, OTOH, can play everything that a a New 3DS can.

Do you have any particular recommendations for somebody who is terrible at  platformers (the Lego "platforming" is about my speed) and driving games - ditto and Mario Kart somehow makes me motion sick in addition too? Oh, and I also prefer to avoid sexualised female character designs, though I am prepared to make an exception for a great game.

XCOM2  is today's free game on the Epic Games Store, but does not include War of the Chosen. It might be worth contrasting with Steam, where at least a while back it was cheaper to get XCOM2 and War of the Chosen together than XCOM2 for free and War of the Chosen for its normal price on Epic.

9 hours ago, Maia said:

If the 3D effect is not important to you, you might consider 2DSs. They tend to be newer and many are practically unused. The basic 2DS turned out to be surprisingly comfortable, IMHO, not to mention that they are  cheap. The XL, OTOH, can play everything that a a New 3DS can.

The plan is a 2DS XL if I can find one yeah. I don't really like buying online but I'm likely gonna have to...

9 hours ago, Maia said:

Do you have any particular recommendations for somebody who is terrible at  platformers (the Lego "platforming" is about my speed) and driving games - ditto and Mario Kart somehow makes me motion sick in addition too? Oh, and I also prefer to avoid sexualised female character designs, though I am prepared to make an exception for a great game.

For platforming, assuming 2D games are okay too (I can't really think of any great 3D ones on the 3DS, ironically...) the main rec would be Kirby: Planet Robobot. Kirby games are typical for not being too hard while - the best ones anyway- keeping it engaging, and Robobot falls right into that. There's also a previous game, triple deluxe, but for some reason I never played it, and also Kirby's Epic Yarn and its companion Yoshi's Wooly World, both wii ports I think but both got good reviews- also never played either. 

Could also have a crack at Wayforward Games' Mighty Switch Force, a short-level-based puzzle platformer (and its sequel). The character designs are a bit cheesecake so it depends what your line is for too sexualised, but it's very cartoony and not Bayonetta. Difficulty wise because it's puzzle-based my recollection is that reflex/etc wise it's not too difficult to complete the levels (although there's a speedrun component that'd be tougher to meet, I don't think it's necessary to complete the game, it's just an extra thing). Could also try Shantae, their Metroidvania/bigger platformer series, Shantae, which are defo more complete games, but they might be pushing the difficulty a bit, particularly Pirates Curse... but not sure. I'm not a great judge of difficulty coz my dyspraxia rules me out of certain things but also has trained me into excessive patience before I get things done with others, so my parameters aren't normal-people-difficulty parameters. 

Race-game wise I don't think the 3DS was a good console for them. The only one I can think of other than Mario Kart is Gotcha Racing, a top-down simple-but-fun one on the eshop (with, as the name indicates, a gatcha component, but it's only in-game random selection stuff, no real money involved). 

Other 3DS games I think deserve some love that didn't really get it:

Siesta Fiesta, a sorta expansion on the Breakout concept where you're rolling along bouncing a sleeping guy off his bed into the blocks. Very charming, lot of fun.

Attack of the Friday Monsters: a short, incredibly charming mini-RPG/adventure based on Japanese kid's shows and nostalgic small-town life. It's lovely. 

Ever Oasis: a combination between a heavily Ocarina-of-Time influenced Zeldalike and a sorta quest-based settlement-builder thing. Came out late, sold almost nothing, deserved far more attention than it got. Difficulty's okay. 

Fantasy Life: I'm not sure this one did get overlooked at the time, actually, but it hasn't lived long in the collective memory. It's a top-down adventure/dungeon crawler with a really big (shallow, but big) job system and a nonsensical but charming story.  It got repetitive at times, especially in the job classes that involved doing stuff other than fighting since it's heavily minigame based, but overall I enjoyed it. 

Having hit a wall of having done and found pretty much everything in Cyberpunk 2077, I've turned my attention to the only other open world game I could find that interested me, which is Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition. Am only a few missions in, but so far, it's managed to engage me in ways none of the GTA and Saint's Row games ever have. 

1 minute ago, IlyaP said:

Having hit a wall of having done and found pretty much everything in Cyberpunk 2077, I've turned my attention to the only other open world game I could find that interested me, which is Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition. Am only a few missions in, but so far, it's managed to engage me in ways none of the GTA and Saint's Row games ever have. 

Been ages since I played it, but Sleeping Dogs was absolutely fantastic.  Loved the melee combat in that game.  

1 minute ago, briantw said:

Been ages since I played it, but Sleeping Dogs was absolutely fantastic.  Loved the melee combat in that game.  

It's all of a few buttons too! Grabble, counter-attack, and attack. Nothing overly complicated! 

54 minutes ago, IlyaP said:

It's all of a few buttons too! Grabble, counter-attack, and attack. Nothing overly complicated! 

I loved the hilariously violent environmental kills/knockouts. 

@polishgenius, thanks for the detailed answer. I guess that I was somewhat misleading in my request - I wanted to head off the platforming and racing recommendations because I am both bad at them and also dislike them!  I can take some platforming and racing in great adventure games - I did finish Mafia 1 on PC through sheer determination and fully intend to give my all to Zelda: Ocarina of Time and maybe other 3DS Zeldas, but the pure platformers aren't for me. Though I'll be sure to try my niece on Kirby. I also dislike shmups and side-scrollers, so probably not Metroidivania.

Now to see about Ever Oasis and Fantasy Life... and surprisingly my library system has both! Perfect. The last post-game level in Etrian Odyssey Untold 1 is kicking my posterior, so I'd want a change of pace after I am finally finished with it.

Did you try Theatrythm and/or Rythm Thief? How difficult are they for somebody with bad ear/bad musical memory (me) or low frustration theshold (my niece)? Can you say anything about Yokai Watch? The Fire Emblems in general and Echoes in Valentia in particular? Awakening is supposed to be the best, right?

If you have any more recs, now that we cleared the misunderstanding, please keep them coming! And everybody else, too!

I already intend to try the Zeldas, Code Word: Steam, SMT: Strange Journey, Etrian Odyssey 4, Layton vs Phoenix Wright and Pokemon, as well as eventually get some Atlus games and maybe Zero Escape, despite the art, from the eshop. I'd like to snag Dragon Quest 8 - it is supposed to be the best, right? but it costs an arm and a leg. I am also unsure if the Bravely games are good enough to track down.  TIA.

Archived