Video Games - Storage Space Blues

Rhom

On 4/28/2022 at 8:41 AM, polishgenius said:

I own that maybe someday I should play it.

It's a game that knows exactly what it wants to do, and doesn't overstay its welcome. It's great.

A bunch of games on my wishlist just went 50% off, which is the lowest I've seen these particular ones. But I'm juggling so many games currently (including get sucked into starting another playthrough of Pathfinder: WoTR) that I'm trying to resist the urge to buy anymore for now. Also, Triangle Strategy and 13 Sentinels were both full price $60 games, so my gaming budget is kinda feeling pinched right now. 

Plus I'm really curious about The Stanley Parable deluxe edition/sequel that just came out. The original was great, and apparently the new content is longer than the original game.

It's amazing how easily I can get sucked back into Pathfinder: WotR, to the extent of mostly ignoring all my other games I want to play (except 13 Sentinels, which, because of it's structure, is very easy to slot in an hour or so here and there). Guess it's a sign of how starved I've been for truly deep RPG mechanics. I'm now up to 335 hours across playthroughs, and the game only released last September. Which already makes it my most played Steam game by some margin (Stellaris is #2 at 234 hours). And which probably makes it my third most played game of all time, behind FFXIV and WoW. There's a chance some game from my childhood is also ahead of it, like Civilization II; but even though I played it for years, it was usually only in short bursts.

37 minutes ago, Kalibuster said:

Damnit, ms could have had eidos and deus ex and combined it with arkane for only $300m!

I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft doesn't buy anyone else until the Activision deal is approved. They really don't want that deal getting nixed on anti-monopoly grounds. And any other purchases might really concern regulators who don't understand the gaming space, or how big Sony and Nintendo are in it.

17 hours ago, Kalibuster said:

Damnit, ms could have had eidos and deus ex and combined it with arkane for only $300m!

I am hoping this results in Tom Hall being able to finally get to work on Anachronox 2, to resolve that motherfuck of a cliff-hanger. 

After waffling for a while between buying the new Kirby or Pokemon Legends, I settled on the latter - but I'll definitely be getting Kirby in a few months, once my wallet has recovered enough. After about 40 hours, I'm done with Legends, and had a great time with it. The basic gameplay loop of catching and researching Pokemon is so satisfying and fun. Hiding in grass, pelting Pokemon with fruits and nuts, and then trying to capture them without being spotted is just much better than catching mechanics from past games in the series. Moving around the world is also engaging, especially when you get multiple Pokemon to ride and can switch seamlessly between swimming, flying, and speeding on a deer.

I also like how quick everything is. The battles, when they happen, can be dealt with pretty quickly, and they all take place in the world seamlessly. The game isn't hard, but it doesn't feel as mind-numbingly easy as past Pokemon games I've played - and the final battle actually was a real challenge. Overall, it's just a fun game, and has stripped away a lot of the nonsense (random battles, constant trainer challenges that are easy yet take forever to get through, etc...) that can make Pokemon tedious. I don't know if I have it in me to play another Pokemon game this year when the new ones come out, but for me to even consider it, they have to use Arceus as the foundation.

Not everything's perfect. I'm about 10 pokemon away from completing the pokedex and therefore getting to the true ending and final fight, but there is a lot of RNG involved in getting the rest... I'm not sure why they had to lock the final fight behind that much tedium. Everyone's talked about the graphics, which are pretty bad (and my standards are low, so that's saying something), but I was more bothered by the sound design and character animations - everyone makes the same five faces over and over. But my real problem with the game was the plot and dialogue. I don't care about plot in Pokemon games, and clearly, neither do the writers. So why is there so much inane, pointless, and repetitive dialogue? Were the writers paid by the word? The cutscenes are constant and really can destroy the pacing and flow of the game.

Up next: since my computer can't run Elden Ring, time to pretend I'm playing it by re-playing Dark Souls III.

3 hours ago, Caligula_K3 said:

Up next: since my computer can't run Elden Ring, time to pretend I'm playing it by re-playing Dark Souls III.

If you haven't played DS2, ER takes quite a few things from that game moreso than DS3 IMO

1 hour ago, aceluby said:

If you haven't played DS2, ER takes quite a few things from that game moreso than DS3 IMO

I have played DS2. I have to admit it's my least favourite Dark Souls game by far, so it's not encouraging for me to hear it influenced Elden Ring a lot... though I'm sure Elden Ring could take some ideas and do them better.

On 5/3/2022 at 1:29 AM, Corvinus85 said:

pfff, Microsoft will just buy the whole Embracer Group. :P

Newsflash! Embracer Group purchases itself, breaking Bloomberg Terminals everywhere as mass confusion ensues.

Sounds like we've got a new addition to the rare list of "good 40K video games": Chaos Gate- Deamonhunters

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/warhammer-40k-chaos-gate-daemonhunters-review#comments

I'll be glad to check it out eventually; an XCOM-clone that actually nails it for once sounds right up my alley. Especially with a 40K coat of paint.

Oof. Apparently on PC, servers for all three Dark Souls games have been down for months and there's no sign that they'll be coming back any time soon. That sucks. I guess I really will have to git gud if I want to beat Dark Souls 3 again. From what I remember, there were a few bosses I could only beat with the help of other players. We'll see how far I get...

5 hours ago, Fez said:

Sounds like we've got a new addition to the rare list of "good 40K video games": Chaos Gate- Deamonhunters

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/warhammer-40k-chaos-gate-daemonhunters-review#comments

I'll be glad to check it out eventually; an XCOM-clone that actually nails it for once sounds right up my alley. Especially with a 40K coat of paint.

It looks a lot like Mechanicus, which was a solid, if fairly straight forward X-COM clone.  What really brought it up a notch (and probably the reason I played it through to the end) is it had a stellar soundtrack.  If they deliver the same level of quality there, I'd definitely give it a look.

An hour from Ravenholm, the Arkane-developed Half-Life 2 expansion that was quite far along when it was cancelled back in 2005-06.

The physics-based combat, which apparently used Arkane's code from Dark Messiah of Might and Magic (another Source game), is pretty cool, though sadly you don't get the overpowered Big Kick from that game.

Finished Dark Souls II, booted up Dark Souls III for the first time in maybe five years and got the "the game was not exited properly" message. Riight I guess I never actually finished this one.

So I go to play my new Xbox and find out I can't play any games. Sounds like there is a huge outage. This is a first for me that I am blocked from my games, at least since the days of the red rings of death. Sounds like the outage started yesterday, but I hadn't tried to play then. I got the console version of Crusader Kings 3 and was going to play that.

Not only are Xbox users unable to buy new games or use Xbox’s Cloud Gaming services, but they are also unable to access their digital games.

Xbox Live Users Are Currently Unable To Access Digital Games
Xbox Live users are currently dealing with severe issues that prevent them from playing digital games or streaming titles through the Cloud.

https://gamerant.com/xbox-live-down-may-2022/

Is the appropriate time to make a grumpy old man rant about why always connected gaming is the devil and all console games should be on physical media? :tantrum:

In all seriousness, best of luck Kal.  Know it had to be stressful.

Archived