Video Games - Storage Space Blues

Rhom

5 hours ago, Kalibuster said:

As someone who is on call for live site issues pertaining to xbox - this isn't fun

Long distance hugs from Australia, @Kalibuster! Having done tech support in the past, I know a bit about the pain you're facing. 

On 5/7/2022 at 10:20 PM, Rhom said:

Is the appropriate time to make a grumpy old man rant about why always connected gaming is the devil and all console games should be on physical media?

This, and the fact that I tend to play longer games without much time to play, are the reasons why I won't get a subscription service until my kids require it.  It's also why I still buy and keep a fairly large movie collection.  Both have come through for me on multiple occasions.

On 5/7/2022 at 11:20 PM, Rhom said:

Is the appropriate time to make a grumpy old man rant about why always connected gaming is the devil and all console games should be on physical media? :tantrum:

In all seriousness, best of luck Kal.  Know it had to be stressful.

Always connected is the devil, but I like downloading games. I've never put a disk in my Xbox one and own one switch cartridge.

The problem is for some reason apparently the Xbox wouldn't let you play your downloaded games offline on your home Xbox. That should not happen and I'd be curious to know why it does.

I leave my Switch in airplane mode most of the time to save battery and have never once had an issue trying to play a downloaded game offline.

There are other issues with like storefronts shutting down but this should not be an issue.

The reason it doesn't allow you to do that is imagine someone doing the following-

Downloads 500 games to an Xbox

Never logs back in on that xbox

Gets another xbox and does it again

Its a major piracy vector.

1 hour ago, KalVsWade said:

The reason it doesn't allow you to do that is imagine someone doing the following-

Downloads 500 games to an Xbox

Never logs back in on that xbox

Gets another xbox and does it again

Its a major piracy vector.

Makes sense, but I wonder why Nintendo doesn't seem to worry about it? Like I said I can leave my switch offline and still play everything.

1 hour ago, RumHam said:

Makes sense, but I wonder why Nintendo doesn't seem to worry about it? Like I said I can leave my switch offline and still play everything.

Probably because the switch has space for like 2 games and is frequently played offline as a mobile thing. Also, Nintendo may not care that much.

That said, you should in general be able to play games offline if your machine is set as your home console. That's sort of the design. If that's not working for some reason hit me up. 

1 hour ago, KalVsWade said:

Probably because the switch has space for like 2 games and is frequently played offline as a mobile thing. Also, Nintendo may not care that much.

That said, you should in general be able to play games offline if your machine is set as your home console. That's sort of the design. If that's not working for some reason hit me up. 

Actually not counting demos and the official emulators I have 65 games installed on my Switch, most of which are on a 512gb SD card. I have eleven installed on my 500gb xbox one hard drive and 54 gigs free. Three of the games I have installed are 360 games too! One of them is the halo collection which I know is huge. Anyway just saying switch games tend to be smaller, I guess. So you can fit more of them.

13 hours ago, KalVsWade said:

It's equally irritating when PC games do this. Australia has famously bad internet, and it's frustrating to me that I can onlay Diablo 1 on my PC with no problem but Diablo 2 and 3? Gotta be logged into Battlenet and I've gotta be online. 

I don't even PLAY online modes in those games unless it's with someone right nearby, to the point where it's basically a LAN event in all but name. 

(I found this equally frustrating when doing single player missions in Anthem. I don't care about your leader boards and coop gameplay, let me fly around like I'm Iron Man deposited on Pandora and let me enjoy myself and not worry about Australia's crappy internet!)

Spent hours today trying to get my friend's new memory upgrade to work in his motherboard to no avail. It only recognises one of the sticks, no matter what I do.

It's Patriot PVS432G360C8GK memory (2x 16GB) going into a MSI A520m-a pro (MS-7c96) motherboard. Everything says it's fully compatible and should work fine, but it only shows 16 GB as available. Very frustrating.

20 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Spent hours today trying to get my friend's new memory upgrade to work in his motherboard to no avail. It only recognises one of the sticks, no matter what I do.

It's Patriot PVS432G360C8GK memory (2x 16GB) going into a MSI A520m-a pro (MS-7c96) motherboard. Everything says it's fully compatible and should work fine, but it only shows 16 GB as available. Very frustrating.

Have you tried eliminating whether its a faulty stick/slot? Put them in one at a time in each slot?

Always connected is the devil, but I like downloading games. I've never put a disk in my Xbox one and own one switch cartridge.

Red Dead Redemption 2 killed physical media for me. I was trying to support game stores by buying there. It was multiple discs and I got to spend the night downloading the game while my friend had downloaded and got the play right away. Sorry game stores, I can't save you anymore than I could save Blockbuster.

Also set the same game down for a few months and came back to play it later. It demanded a disc and I didn't know where I put it. I'm sure I still have it somewhere, but pretty annoying. 

10 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Not a fan of the game, but this seems like fairly big news:

Huh, yeah. I feel like the FIFA license (and all those microtransations) has kept EA afloat through a bunch of otherwise fallow times. I'm surprise they weren't able to come to an agreement.

I haven't played a FIFA game in years.

Not surprised to see FIFA's greediness in this, but I guess EA must not be doing so well to be willing fork out what FIFA wanted. Considering that the WC of 2026 will have a bigger field of teams and it will be in North America, EA will miss out on a lot of money.

4 hours ago, Werthead said:

Pretty sure I've never bought multiple sticks of memory when building a new PC and not had at least one of them arrive dead.

4 hours ago, Fez said:

Huh, yeah. I feel like the FIFA license (and all those microtransations) has kept EA afloat through a bunch of otherwise fallow times. I'm surprise they weren't able to come to an agreement.

It's their biggest moneymaker, so yeah, I'm surprised they couldn't make a deal.

Apparently FIFA were asking for $1 billion over four years and whatever EA counter-proposed, they didn't accept.

Seems an own goal because EA can just continue forwards with their existing engine and setup under a slightly different name. They still have the team and player likeness licences, so the name change is pretty minor. FIFA have to find another company willing to pay what EA used to, let alone what FIFA wanted from them now, who can make a good football game in under a year. Good luck with that.

I found this comment really odd.

David Jackson, vice president at EA Sports, told the BBC: "The world of football and the world of entertainment are changing, and they clash within our product.

"In the future our players will demand of us the ability to be more expansive in that offering. At the moment, we engage in play as a primary form of interactive experience. Soon, watching and creating content are going to be equally as important for fans.

"Under the licensing conventions that we had agreed with FIFA 10 years ago, there were some restrictions that weren't going to allow us to be able to build those experiences for players."

I don't know what this is referring to. When he says watching and creating content, is that like an E Sports reference or the actual watching of the live game. Of course this is all just an excuse because they don't want to pay all that money, but it seems that maybe they see the direction of the game as being a bit different. 

18 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

I haven't played a FIFA game in years.

Not surprised to see FIFA's greediness in this, but I guess EA must not be doing so well to be willing fork out what FIFA wanted. Considering that the WC of 2026 will have a bigger field of teams and it will be in North America, EA will miss out on a lot of money.

I'm not sure how much of a hit it will be to EA, if they're just losing the right to the international teams and tournaments.  Not even sure if that's accurate, but its what I saw people saying.  Those are nice things to have included, especially as part of career mode.  But most people buy the game either for FUT or for other elements of career mode (i.e. building/playing as a club), and it doesn't seem like this will impact either of those too much.

At first glance, seems like a worse decision for FIFA.  Unless maybe they have plans to sell the license to another company, like 2K?  Not sure how things line up on the club side though.  Does EA have an exclusive right to use players, clubs, and leagues? Because if they do, then nobody is going to buy an alternate game, even if it has the FIFA license and international competitions.

Archived