Video Games - Storage Space Blues

Rhom

This has been making news the last few days: https://www.kotaku.com.au/2022/05/duke-nukem-forever-2001-build/

Gods but this makes me feel old.

From what I have read, the source code also leaked, which makes me wonder if there are fans out there that are now going to try and finish making the game based on whatever design intentions existed at the time of that build.

1 hour ago, Werthead said:

Arse. Starfield and Redfall delayed until 2023. I was looking forwards to having a big new CRPG to play this year.

I'm not surprised by Redfall, there'd been basically no news since the initial announcement. But I'm very surprised by Starfield. I thought that date was locked in and it seemed like Bethesda was rolling out its marketing right on schedule; lots of little clips and mentions and the expectation of a big showcase this June. Just like they did with Fallout 4.

As far as big new RPGs this year though, there may be a couple other opportunities:

Steelrising comes out this September and is Spiders' latest game. If Spiders continues its upward trajectory they've had with every release, this may be the one that is finally a true successor to the Bioware games.

Forspoken releases in October from a new Square Enix studio that was tasked with "make a AAA game that has worldwide appeal". I'm not sure where exactly it'll fall on the RPG vs. Action RPG scale though.

Not AAA, but several smaller RPGs I have my eye on that are supposed to release this year are: Broken Roads, Cyber Knights: Flashpoint, Dark Envoy, Death Trash, and Zoria: Age of Shattering.

Also, I haven't played it yet, but I've heard good things about King Arthur: Knight's Tale, which released last month. Though I'm not sure where it falls on the RPG vs. squad tactics scale.

1 hour ago, Gorn said:

Is the release of Avowed still possible for this year? I'm assuming not, since we would have heard more about it by now otherwise.

I guess we'll find out at the Microsoft conference in June, but I'd be pretty shocked if it had a 2022 release date.

1 hour ago, Gorn said:

Is the release of Avowed still possible for this year? I'm assuming not, since we would have heard more about it by now otherwise.

Highly unlikely, I'd say.

Got an email that I can have a Steamdeck. My pre-order went through late on the first day. I'm just not sure I want it as opposed to like a PS5 that will give me access to exclusive games. Anyone actually use one yet?

Edit: I've got two days to decide, but I'm leaning towards no. I was really excited when they announced it but now I'm like "do I want to pay $400 for something that doesn't actually allow me to play any games that I can't now?"

I suspect it would just lead to me playing Rimworld and Stellaris in bed rather than at a desk.

43 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Got an email that I can have a Steamdeck. My pre-order went through late on the first day. I'm just not sure I want it as opposed to like a PS5 that will give me access to exclusive games. Anyone actually use one yet?

Edit: I've got two days to decide, but I'm leaning towards no. I was really excited when they announced it but now I'm like "do I want to pay $400 for something that doesn't actually allow me to play any games that I can't now?"

I suspect it would just lead to me playing Rimworld and Stellaris in bed rather than at a desk.

I was tempted before deciding I couldn't justify the price right now. I suspect I'd use it much more for playing games like Into the BreachDorfromantik and so on rather than any big heavy-hitter games, and the issue is that it doesn't give me the ability to do something I couldn't do before, just differently. My experience with the Switch - playing it heavily for a week after I got it and not touching it for months since then - leads me to think that I'd have the same issue with the Steam Deck, although the fact that I'd automatically and immediately have access to hundreds of games via Steam without having to re-buy them is quite tempting.

Prey is this week's free game on the Epic Game Store. Fantastic title, well worth getting for free. Took me a while to fully warm up to it, but when I did it clicked superbly.

Speaking of Switch, anything catch anyone's eye in the Indie World? It wasn't super-great, and still no Silksong, but there were some that caught my eye, particularly Gunbrella and Another Crab's Treasure (the former especially looks right up my alley). Both are for next year though, for games coming soon the main thing that caught my eye in the main presentation is this:

I really like the idea of multiple stories going on simultaneously and you have to choose how you interact with them or don't. 

I started playing Battlefield 2042 again after burning out on Dark Souls III. I suppose I should go finish Elden Ring even if I skip Melania but I'm not in the mood right now. They've really improved Battlefield since it's shitty launch. Still some hilarious bugs but I'm impressed.

@KalVsWade I have a question maybe you can answer. I encountered another xbox player with the gamertag "IB34tWomen69" I reported him but I'm just wondering like is that considered an acceptable gamertag still? This may not be your department but I thought maybe you'd know what the policy was. Since I don't expect a "we made the asshole change his name" message from xbox.

Another question, is it possible to cheat on xbox one? Someone accused me of cheating and I'm just not sure how that would even work on a console where you can't run third party programs to mess with the game.

Name violations are common and can result in forced gamertag changes and banning depending. I am pretty sure the above will not fly either. I can talk with someone in the safety team to confirm.

Cheating on Xbox is theoretically possible through some real arcane ways - things like using separate machines to intercept network traffic. But no one really does that.

10 hours ago, Werthead said:

Arse. Starfield and Redfall delayed until 2023. I was looking forwards to having a big new CRPG to play this year.

Aww damn. Was looking forward to getting lost in Starfield.

20 hours ago, RumHam said:

I got my preorder late on that first day as well and it is still saying Q3 for me.  :dunno: 

So I still have plenty of time to decide.

This popped up in my YouTube feed today, presumably because I posted that video in the Watching thread about Nicholas Cage's agent.  Thought you guys might appreciate a nice blast from the past.  A few great laugh out loud moments.

Returned to my Final Fantasy VII replay and just got to Nibelheim. Just about to rescue Vincent Valentine. Great nostalgia here, and playing the game modded so the graphics look a lot better is nice.

Strongly considering Chaos Gate: Daemonhunters, which has been picking up rave reviews. It's basically XCOM in the Warhammer 40,000 universe, but that's not a bad thing (and there was another Chaos Gate from the late 1990s which was basically the original X-COM in the WH40K universe, so appropriate).

On 5/13/2022 at 10:48 AM, Rhom said:

I got my preorder late on that first day as well and it is still saying Q3 for me.  :dunno: 

So I still have plenty of time to decide.

I ended up completing the purchase. I was only thinking of myself before and then I remembered my nephew would freak out if this was his birthday present.

I picked up the latest 40K game, Chaos Gate: Deamonhunters. It's an XCOM-like, but so far a really solid one, just like a lot of the reviews hinted at. And it has some unique spins on the formula, like having 3AP per unit, a 100% hit chance on enemies in range, and your units will recover from being downed after a couple turns; all of which helps make your units feel more space marines. Although the lengthy recovery times they sometimes have after missions counters that. The game rewards aggressive play, so in that sense in feels like Gears Tactics. However, it, smartly, has a tactical layer too (which GT didn't) to help break things up. So far it doesn't seem as complicated as XCOM's, but there are at least some choices to make.

Dark Souls III is a great game - probably my favourite of the trilogy. But playing it with no online is really depressing. It's not just help with bosses (and getting the chance to help others with bosses). The world just feels so much less alive when there aren't helpful or unhelpful hints lying around, bloodstains showing you people jumping off cliffs, and the threat of invasion. I hope they fix the online soon. For now I'm playing Dark Souls 1 on the Switch. Off to Blighttown!

On 5/16/2022 at 6:09 AM, Caligula_K3 said:

Dark Souls III is a great game - probably my favourite of the trilogy. But playing it with no online is really depressing. It's not just help with bosses (and getting the chance to help others with bosses). The world just feels so much less alive when there aren't helpful or unhelpful hints lying around, bloodstains showing you people jumping off cliffs, and the threat of invasion. I hope they fix the online soon. For now I'm playing Dark Souls 1 on the Switch. Off to Blighttown!

Friends have told me that DS3 really requires players to be patient, as boss fights can be murder and if one is prone to impatience, then it's a recipe for disaster and frustration/irritation. That sound about right to you?

Archived