Video Games - Storage Space Blues

Rhom

3 hours ago, Ran said:

You can, with the Z key (or have to rebind your controller to use it), but a quick Google shows a lot of people did not realize that.

It's good to know I'm not the only one who couldn't figure that out. I'll give the game another try eventually.

I've been playing Oblivion on the steam deck. I've wanted to play this portably since they announced the PSP version that they later cancelled. I had to install a mod to get console-like controller support but that was fairly painless. I also picked up the steam version of Geometry Wars for $3 so between those two I'm basically re-living the launch of the xbox 360. Despite 360 emulation currently requiring windows.

Tomb Raider 2013 onward is still my favorite.

Also, I watched a video of a guy playing Black Desert and it looked dumb. This led me to another video of a different guy playing Guild Wars and it looked so awesome I am thinking of getting it. I am going to play more Valhalla in a bit.

Carry on...

BioShock is okay but I think mostly acclaimed for its story (which isn't quite as shit hot now as it may have been at the time) and its setting. I think a huge problem with all three games is that it feels like there's a really great, interesting freeform RPG in there, but it's been constrained as a very linear FPS instead. The games feel very undercooked as a result. 2016 Prey is basically what BioShock should have been, but far superior on every level.

Hardspace Shipbreaker really is tremendous fun, and very punishing. I've lost track of the number of times I've vowed to completely dismantle the next ship 100% and take my time only to be floating around on fire five seconds later whilst the ship's reactor goes into overdrive and half the compartments explosively decompress simultaneously because I put the cutting beam in one wrong place.

The "real life job in a game" vibe is also very strong: the union-buster guy who shows up to "engage constructively with valued employees over their genuine concerns" but instead just spouts empty slogans in vaguely threatening meetings is far too real.

On 5/29/2022 at 9:02 AM, Werthead said:

Hardspace Shipbreaker really is tremendous fun, and very punishing. I've lost track of the number of times I've vowed to completely dismantle the next ship 100% and take my time only to be floating around on fire five seconds later whilst the ship's reactor goes into overdrive and half the compartments explosively decompress simultaneously because I put the cutting beam in one wrong place.

The "real life job in a game" vibe is also very strong: the union-buster guy who shows up to "engage constructively with valued employees over their genuine concerns" but instead just spouts empty slogans in vaguely threatening meetings is far too real.

Is the game remotely plot driven, or is it more like Factorio?

4 hours ago, IlyaP said:

Is the game remotely plot driven, or is it more like Factorio?

You can play it freeform or you can play career mode, which has a story unfolding alongside your salvaging missions. The story is told entirely in voiceovers, comms and emails, you never see another human being in the game. There's also some interesting subplots revolving around mysterious "ghost ships" that you have to investigate without knowing what's in them.

You can complete the game by getting your debt down, following the story events or sneakily building your own escape ship on the side.

On 5/30/2022 at 1:58 AM, Werthead said:

You can play it freeform or you can play career mode, which has a story unfolding alongside your salvaging missions. The story is told entirely in voiceovers, comms and emails, you never see another human being in the game. There's also some interesting subplots revolving around mysterious "ghost ships" that you have to investigate without knowing what's in them.

You can complete the game by getting your debt down, following the story events or sneakily building your own escape ship on the side.

Thanks for pointing this one out- I've enjoyed it over the weekend.  The game has a nice cathartic rhythm to deconstructing the ships and the 15 minute shifts are nice for getting in a session in a squeeze but dont disrupt if you want to play longer.  Heads up though that the pressurization scheme is a bit flaky at times- had my first death to explosive decompression of an outer hull piece that was visually exposed to space.  Best to use the scanner before cutting even when it looks safe.

I have been playing Guild Wars 2 for the last several days. It is pretty fun and it definitely has some cool features. I am still low level and I have been making new characters so I can see the early levels of all the classes. I have two 80-bump tokens but I am refusing to use them. I sure would like a mount, though. There is minimal story elements and you spend your leveling time clearing maps. All the classes are more fun than I thought they would be when I read the description. I still haven't tried the Guardian and the Engineer I think? I have a Human Thief, a Sylvari Mesmer, an Anura Necromancer, and a Norn Ranger all fighting to be my favorite. I will have to go back to work at some point, maybe next week, so I suppose I'll just keep playing. 

There is a bird flitting around the window almost like he wants to look in. If my cat comes walking out of the bedroom and sees this she will go berzerk.

27 minutes ago, Inkdaub said:

I have been playing Guild Wars 2 for the last several days. It is pretty fun and it definitely has some cool features. I am still low level and I have been making new characters so I can see the early levels of all the classes. I have two 80-bump tokens but I am refusing to use them. I sure would like a mount, though. There is minimal story elements and you spend your leveling time clearing maps. All the classes are more fun than I thought they would be when I read the description. I still haven't tried the Guardian and the Engineer I think? I have a Human Thief, a Sylvari Mesmer, an Anura Necromancer, and a Norn Ranger all fighting to be my favorite. I will have to go back to work at some point, maybe next week, so I suppose I'll just keep playing.

Glad to hear you're having fun! GW2 is one of my most played games overall and is, in my opinion incredibly underrated/unknown in the wider gaming sphere for how good it is (though as a longterm player/fan there are certainly things I have to complain about it).

If you're on an NA world I think I can get you a mount without you having to level boost, and if you're looking for any advice or a tour guide or whatever am happy to offer it in any case. The game has a ton of QoL stuff and useful options but not all of it is immediately obvious to a new player as well as a bunch of systems and stuff that probably make a lot more sense if you've been playing for 10 years than if you just jump in to it fresh so lemme know if you'd want a write-up of my top tips or have any questions.

Regarding the story elements the personal story gets a chapter every 10 levels so if you've been making a lot of alts yeah you wouldn't have seen much of it (originally it was one instance every 2-3 levels instead but for whatever reason they decided to streamline it in to chunks at some point) yeah a lot of the content is in the exploration and the dynamic events/event chains with the hearts to act as kinda signposts around the zones and filler.

Has anyone played Citizen Sleeper yet? I'm curious about it, but I just...cannot figure out what kind of gameplay I can expect. It's an RPG, but...how does it work? Can anyone talk about it at all? I'm super curious to hear thoughts from someone who's spent a bit of time in the game.

11 hours ago, Poobah said:

Glad to hear you're having fun!

Thanks and I likely will have questions at some point. Right now I am enjoying my ignorance. It has been a bit since I started a game like this and it's fun running around not really knowing what is what. I hit the hearts and the triangles and the little squares and then find a scout for more hearts and triangles and little squares. I am on the look-out for transmog tokens. My Asura Necromancer has the calavera type face paint you get when you begin and I don't ever want her to take it off. In the same way, my Mesmer has the smiling mask and it is absolutely unsettling. Genuinely bizarre and it makes her look insane. It's going to be hard for me to give either of those up as far as appearances.

8 hours ago, IlyaP said:

Has anyone played Citizen Sleeper yet? I'm curious about it, but I just...cannot figure out what kind of gameplay I can expect. It's an RPG, but...how does it work? Can anyone talk about it at all? I'm super curious to hear thoughts from someone who's spent a bit of time in the game.

It appears to be a narrative RPG, like Disco Elysium (no combat that I can tell), but a bit more restricted. You roll dice every morning and that determines what you can do during the day.

5 hours ago, Inkdaub said:

Thanks and I likely will have questions at some point. Right now I am enjoying my ignorance. It has been a bit since I started a game like this and it's fun running around not really knowing what is what. I hit the hearts and the triangles and the little squares and then find a scout for more hearts and triangles and little squares. I am on the look-out for transmog tokens. My Asura Necromancer has the calavera type face paint you get when you begin and I don't ever want her to take it off. In the same way, my Mesmer has the smiling mask and it is absolutely unsettling. Genuinely bizarre and it makes her look insane. It's going to be hard for me to give either of those up as far as appearances.

Sure thing. Later on you'll be swimming in transmutation charges (I have ~1700) so don't stress too much, though you might have to give up your preferred skins for a while as you level through a lot of gear on the way up, but fortunately GW2 has a very good/robust transmog and dye system, and once you have a skin or dye unlocked it's unlocked for your account forever so don't worry about losing them.

Diablo Immortal went live today on Apple Store. 

I fooled around with it a bit.  Its basically a slightly dumbed down Diablo 3.  Seems to be set before that game I guess.  Handles about as well as any game on my iPhone X can.  I have not tried connecting a blue tooth controller to it to see if it plays well that way.  I have only played for about 15 minutes, so I have not encountered any microtransactions yet, but I'm sure they're there.

I played a female Crusader.  The early skills are solid.  I havent experienced a screen full of enemies, so I don't know how that will go down just yet.  The equipment system seems like it is a simpler version of what D3 had.

Probably a decent time waster in my pocket.

Played some Wing Commander on GoG.

Played a bit of 1 and 2 but I really dkn’t have the time for them, not when I’ve a ps5. So skipped to 3, will play it, 4 and maybe Prophecy. Played them a lot when I got my first PC, back in ‘98.

3 minutes ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Played some Wing Commander on GoG.

Wing Commander II: Vengeance of the Kilrathi was my very favorite space sim back in the day, thanks to its story and just how fun it was. Loved the branching campaign system it and its predecessor were built around, and loved all the material you'd get in the game box that added additional world-building. 

I never got into the games when they went FMV for cut scenes. Just didn't spark my imagination the same way.

3 minutes ago, Ran said:

Wing Commander II: Vengeance of the Kilrathi was my very favorite space sim back in the day, thanks to its story and just how fun it was. Loved the branching campaign system it and its predecessor were built around, and loved all the material you'd get in the game box that added additional world-building. 

I never got into the games when they went FMV for cut scenes. Just didn't spark my imagination the same way.

The bickering between the player character (Mark Hamill) and Maniac (Tom Wilson - Biff fromBttF) is worth watching alonein WCIII

And the plot-twist in WCIV blew me away.

5 minutes ago, Ran said:

WC1 and 2 dont play that great on a modern machine, but I rememberplaying WC1 on my Amoga. It was slow and jerky on my cousin’s A600, not bad on my A1200, and ran like a dream on my A1200 when I got an accelerator card and Hard disk.

I had my own maneouveere against the Jalthi-class fighters (3 guns on each wing so head to head sisnt end well).

Archived