Video Games - Storage Space Blues

Rhom

A bunch of new Warhammer 40K games are on their way.

Boltgun looks fun. It's a retro-FPS, so basically 40K Doom and it looks great.

Rogue Trader is the most interesting. It's a full-on CRPG with you playing a bunch of Imperial servants on a trade ship, going around making money and doing the Emperor's will. It's made by the same team behind the very well-received Pathfinder games.

9 minutes ago, Babblebauble said:

What is CRPG?

I'm elderly

You must be much older than I thought then... 

What does CRPG mean?

The acronym CRPG, which had traditionally stood for Computer Role Playing Game, expanded its meaning over time to include RPGs for different platforms. Now, it has adopted a new meaning. 

The history of CRPGs began in the 1970s with the release of the earliest video game adaptation of the tabletop RPG Dungeons & Dragons, Dungeon. 

Yet, going against the trend in today's video game industry of going for graphic realism, came a fresh wave of CRPGs. Old-school, or Classic, RPGs heavily influence these games and they make an emphasis on gameplay mechanics and immersion, rather than visuals.

They are generally isometric games, with either real-time pausable, or turn-based tactical battles. These CRPGs also do their best to be as immersive as possible, providing you with somewhat large blocks of well-crafted prose and a solid back-story.

Most of them rely on text rather than voice acting for most of the dialogues, much like old school CRPGs. Some of these CRPGs include Pillars of Eternity, Divinity: Original Sin, or Pathfinder: Kingmaker.

These games also emphasize battle-tactics, character progression, decision-making, and encourage exploration, just like old-school CRPGs did. For these reasons, we consider them as more closely related to Classic RPGs than to most modern RPGs.

6 minutes ago, Babblebauble said:

That's just a fucking RPG man. Why are we adding letters to everything 

Get off my lawn

Well, as the article says, originally it was Computer RPG to differentiate from Table Top RPG.  Now it is more to differentiate between the Action RPGs like Witcher, the JRPGs, and these more Classic RPGs.

46 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Rogue Trader is the most interesting. It's a full-on CRPG with you playing a bunch of Imperial servants on a trade ship, going around making money and doing the Emperor's will. It's made by the same team behind the very well-received Pathfinder games.

Very excited by this one. Owlcat said a few days ago that everyone's assumption that they were making a Starfinder game (which I posted in this thread as well) was incorrect; leaving everyone guessing what it might be.

I wonder if they're adapting the old Rogue Trader ruleset or are creating a new game system.

15 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Well, as the article says, originally it was Computer RPG to differentiate from Table Top RPG.  Now it is more to differentiate between the Action RPGs like Witcher, the JRPGs, and these more Classic RPGs.

With all due respect- 

Now remember I'm saying With All Due Respect 

That idea is not worth a velvet painting of a whale and a dolphin gettin' it on

I can't say I'm not interested but it remains very amusing to me that Sega saw Breath of the Wild and thought 'you know what'd be a good fit for that aesthetic? Sonic!'. 

Also I know it's not a final version but some of the pop-in is brutal there.

20 minutes ago, Babblebauble said:

With all due respect- 

Now remember I'm saying With All Due Respect 

That idea is not worth a velvet painting of a whale and a dolphin gettin' it on

That's amazing... I have that exact painting hanging over the couch in the living room. :stunned:

2 hours ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

WC1 and 2 dont play that great on a modern machine

I think GOG's version have been tweaked for it, or come with one of the processer slowdown utilities that help keep it going at the intended speed. I remember when I loaded up WCI on like the second or third Pentium I had and yeah, just zooooooooming along until I used DOSBox or something.

2 hours ago, polishgenius said:

I can't say I'm not interested but it remains very amusing to me that Sega saw Breath of the Wild and thought 'you know what'd be a good fit for that aesthetic? Sonic!'. 

Also I know it's not a final version but some of the pop-in is brutal there.

Nothing goes better with Sonic than slow piano music!

4 hours ago, Ran said:

I think GOG's version have been tweaked for it, or come with one of the processer slowdown utilities that help keep it going at the intended speed. I remember when I loaded up WCI on like the second or third Pentium I had and yeah, just zooooooooming along until I used DOSBox or something.

Heh. So you tried it once without the slowdown? Where everything moved at like 18,000 frames a second? Like being caught in Stuck in Hyperdrive: The Game.

8 hours ago, Rhom said:

Diablo Immortal went live today on Apple Store. 

I fooled around with it a bit.  Its basically a slightly dumbed down Diablo 3.  Seems to be set before that game I guess.  Handles about as well as any game on my iPhone X can.  I have not tried connecting a blue tooth controller to it to see if it plays well that way.  I have only played for about 15 minutes, so I have not encountered any microtransactions yet, but I'm sure they're there.

I played a female Crusader.  The early skills are solid.  I havent experienced a screen full of enemies, so I don't know how that will go down just yet.  The equipment system seems like it is a simpler version of what D3 had.

Probably a decent time waster in my pocket.

Had a bit of a test with it - it looks damn impressive for what it is. And that sweet sweet Sanctuary audio and strumming guitar. Just can't beat it.

The PC version will be unlocking at 2am tomorrow for us here in Kangaroostan. Looking forward to seeing how it plays on the PC, as even my poor Android phone coughed a bit trying to render the zombies in Wertham.

I'm still enjoying D2R for the moment. I have absolutely no interest in playing Immortal. It's a dumbed down version of the already atrocious D3, with p2w features thrown in. Was watching one fellow estimate a thousand dollars for a decked out character, with most of the very tippy tip BiS gear being nearly impossible to achieve without paying. Vomit.

That said, I re-installed D3 a few months ago for a new ladder, as I do every couple years. Within one weekend I had my character geared to the gills doing 50 trillion damage or whatever completely ridiculous numbers achievable now in their neverending powercreep. People say D3 was awful on release, but I sure as shit enjoyed it in all its buggy, unbalanced glory back then vs the abomination that it is now. If I want to play a dopey, colorful arcade ARPG I'll stick to Torchlight 2. 

Got my first Stone of Jordan on the new D2R ladder last night, which fired every dopamine and seratonin throughout my brain. Damn did that feel good.

1 hour ago, Argonath Diver said:

I'm still enjoying D2R for the moment. I have absolutely no interest in playing Immortal. It's a dumbed down version of the already atrocious D3, with p2w features thrown in. Was watching one fellow estimate a thousand dollars for a decked out character, with most of the very tippy tip BiS gear being nearly impossible to achieve without paying. Vomit.

Hey hey hey hey! You're being mean to poor ole fun, colorful, ambient as heck Diablo 3! I think you hurt its feelings! It's over in the corner crying now!

I'm clearly not a big fan of the general direction of the franchise these days! Other than playing their reskinned 20 year old game. I will say that a lot of what I'm seeing in D4 looks very cool. I just hope they make the itemization somewhere pleasantly in between the joke that is D3 (sorry I did it again!) and the Masters-in-Theoretical-Physics that is POE's. 

1 hour ago, Argonath Diver said:

I'm clearly not a big fan of the general direction of the franchise these days! Other than playing their reskinned 20 year old game. I will say that a lot of what I'm seeing in D4 looks very cool. I just hope they make the itemization somewhere pleasantly in between the joke that is D3 (sorry I did it again!) and the Masters-in-Theoretical-Physics that is POE's. 

Hey at least Diablo 2 is finally playable in a way that doesn't make me loathe it! 

Between D2R, Diablo: Belzebub, and D:I, the franchise is providing me with hours of fun! 

*C'mere Diablo, don't you listen to that mean Argonthan Diver, he doesn't love you like I do!*

Archived