Canceled: co-opt

Varysblackfyre321

So it doesn’t appear the Dave Chappell thing was politically charged.

The person who assaulted him is getting charged in a way that seems proportional to the crime they committed.

Which is just, whether you like Chappell or not.

It sucks he wasn’t actually canceled from Netflix. for at least lying about a transwoman committing suicide due to woke Twitter mobs.

On 5/5/2022 at 5:06 AM, Ran said:

I had no idea that these things existed. They apparently look like this. Why would you want one of these rather than just a regular folding knife if you really want to carry a knife? Seems like a novelty item.

The reviews of this are a concentrated sample of pure madness.  

15 hours ago, Heartofice said:

https://variety.com/2022/digital/news/netflix-culture-memo-update-censorship-spending-1235264904/

Netflix tells employees to ‘get on with your goddamn jobs’ and stop complaining about what content is on the platform. Well done Netflix.

It’d be really nice if Netflix could tell Dave Chappell to stop weaponzing a woman’s suicide to stave off criticism for himself.

Least while they platform him.

20 hours ago, Heartofice said:

https://variety.com/2022/digital/news/netflix-culture-memo-update-censorship-spending-1235264904/

Netflix tells employees to ‘get on with your goddamn jobs’ and stop complaining about what content is on the platform. Well done Netflix.

Well in, Netflix! This is how all corporations should deal with the cancel mob.

1 hour ago, cock_merchant said:

Well in, Netflix! This is how all corporations should deal with the cancel mob.

Eh I think it depends on the topic and what the eventual outcomes a particular group is demanding

Disney not listening to a far-right mob cancel mob angry that gay people are shown is a good thing imo.

Netflix platforming Chappell after he’s been demonstrably proven to exploited a real person’s suicide to protect himself from criticism is bad imo.

Though ultimately the decision from the corporation will be down to the perceived profitability. 
Sometimes this may mean taking a progressive stance(ex. Disney Keeping the gays in a movie in America) or a conservative stance(ex.quietly remove the gays when movie is shown in China).

Though I have to say latter example really sucks knowing that there are actual real regular people who’ve been canceled and suffered greatly because they did something totally innocuous but misinterpreted and/or overblown. 

7 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Eh I think it depends on the topic and what the eventual outcomes a particular group is demanding

Disney not listening to a far-right mob cancel mob angry that gay people are shown is a good thing imo.

Netflix platforming Chappell after he’s been demonstrably proven to exploited a real person’s suicide to protect himself from criticism is bad imo.

The latter example really sucks knowing that there are actual real regular people who’ve been canceled and suffered greatly because they did something totally innocuous but misinterpreted and/or overblown. 

Disagree on both examples, mate.

On 4/21/2022 at 2:05 PM, Mlle. Zabzie said:

And this is actually the point and the real leverage they have over Florida.  Also, it isn't clear to me whether Disney has a property right in their special status.  They might.  This may in fact be something of a taking. I don't see why they don't just call DeSantis' bluff and sue Florida.....

I should note this; https://www.thewrap.com/florida-judge-dismisses-taxpayer-lawsuit-over-revoking-disneys-special-tax-district/

Desantis’ probably won’t significantly hurt Disney through this. It’ll probably just mean an increase in taxes to local residents if there’s not a more quiet compromise that’s reached then(which can happen the law doesn’t go into affect for another year).

Still concerning that conservatives are steadily abandoning  economic liberal principles to fight their culture wars.

43 minutes ago, cock_merchant said:

Disagree on both examples, mate.

Ah but you agree with the initial premise? That how a corporation should respond to a call for cancellation depends what’s being called to be canceled and why. Least ideally in terms of morality though I understand it’ll mostly come down to perceived profitability.

If you disagree with the initial premise please elaborate.

If not why not just say corporations should listen to groups trying to cancel things that irk you (gay people in a movie) and not listen to groups trying to cancel things you like?

(Chappell he’s weaponizing a real person’s suicide to stave off criticism for bigotry and bludgeon the trans). 

16 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

(Chappell he’s weaponizing a real person’s suicide to stave off criticism for bigotry and bludgeon the trans). 

Feels like you didn’t watch it. 

Netflix’s stance  is that it’s audience has a wide range of opinions and view points and if you are not ok with that idea then you can go work somewhere else. I think that is entirely reasonable. 

1 hour ago, Heartofice said:

Feels like

It’s easy to demonstrate Chapel lied about the cause of a real human being’s suicide to protect himself against criticism and to attack his opposition.

https://michaelhobbes.substack.com/p/dave-chappelles-some-of-my-best-friends?s=r

If one actually charts the amount of attention any pro-chapel tweets from Daphne  Dorman got before her suicide it was a couple of responses. And she posted them 2 year before her her death.

After the Chapel special there are hundreds of replies to some pro chapel tweets —from people of your political inclinations—to bitch and moan about evil woke mobs.  There’s no note saying she did it over public harassment. There wasn’t a tweet, or Facebook post, or story on instagram from her complaining or referencing her life being ruined because he liking chapel.

The whole affair would be more respectable if he actually did honestly just take the terf position he said was in line with—that he thinks trans people are deluded and/ or sociopaths trying to exploit others that they should stick to their bathrooms of their sex, that doctors should stop giving them hormone and surgery and recommend them to undergo conversion therapy.

Instead of bitching about trans and gay people are white, and then hiding behind the nonexistent persecution of a dead trans woman

1 hour ago, Heartofice said:

is that it’s audience has a wide range of opinions and view points and if you are not ok with that idea then you can go work somewhere else. I think that is entirely reasonable. 

I’m sorry man I just think false accusations of persecution  shouldn’t be rewarded with millions of dollars.

They can hurt real people  so Chapel did should not be normalized

Even if one thinks trans people are degenerates—one can reject Chapel’s dishonesty and his exploitation of another’s suffering for his social agenda. 

So some random person looks on Twitter and declares it case closed.. hand waving ‘oh she might have got some DMs but I can’t see them’ , and yet Daphne’s family have come out in support of Chapelle and his special and have never said he’s lying. Hmmmm. I guess I’ll just trust the internet detective.. they always know what they are talking about. 

So you didn’t watch it then I bet.

42 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

So some random person looks on Twitter

If you can find something on Facebook, Reddit, instagram, or really anything where Daphne actually referenced woke mobs ruining her life I would see it.

Or an article from an alternative news site covering the story before the special.

Or a 4chan post with an anon laughing about it before the special. 

Like the level online harassment Chapel claims she’s faced is easy to find when it actually happens 

and yet Daphne’s family have come out in support of him and his special and have never said he’s lying. Hmmmm. I guess I’ll just trust the internet detective.. they always know what they are talking about. 

So you didn’t watch it then I bet.

I don’t remember Chapel bringing on Daphne’s entire family on stage to say anything about her death during the special.

That would be a bit inappropriate for some stand up lol. 

I have to ask; did you actually watch the special?  Or did you see woke people complaining and decide Chapel must be defended because he’s furthering your side on the culture war?

oh she might have got some DMs but I can’t see them’

Wait You’re contending a massive woke mob on Twitter.

Takes deep breath to laugh

didn’t retweet and quote tweet someone they were ganging up and just took their complaints with an individual privately in the DMs?

:mellow:

Robbing them each individually of being able to showcase on how great and virtuous and enlightened they are to the world(or at least other woke).

:mellow:

Omg no,:P dude, with how alternative your right wing views tend to be you can’t possibly believe this is a realistic prospect.  

Thank you for the laugh but false accusations of persecution are no laughing matter.

Yet nobody close to Daphne has disputed Chapelles version of events. Nobody has said he’s lying, except some random off the internet. Doesn’t occur to you that might be a signal that digging for tweets doesn’t give you access to someone’s life or emotional state? No real critical thinking from you here at all, not surprising.
Anyway, not sure I want to get into protracted conversation with a troll about the circumstances of someone’s suicide so I’ll leave it there.

Either way, Netflix has made the right decision here, I think we are slowly seeing pushback to the years of overly sensitive outrage mobs scaring the life out of companies, with companies like Basecamp and Coinbase banning political activism at work, hopefully this trend will continue

For anyone curious she actually left a suicide note on Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/DaphneAlexandraDorman/posts/10156751918998473

She never mentioned massive online harassment even here due to her relationship with Chapel.

Or again anywhere.

Not on Facebook, Instagram, Reddit, or any place she posted on or talked about.

Now, I’m speaking to anyone further to the right concerned/fearful about woke mobs destroying peoples lives—think of the worst horror stories you’ve ever seen of such a thing happening—when have the mob as a group uniformly only took their harassment to the Twitter Dms? They’d deprive themselves chance  of virtue-signaling to the other wokists(in public)  on how enlightened they are for pointing out how the villain of the hour is a worse monster than Ted Bundy? 
They all dmed each other individually letting to spread the word of how awful the villain is instead of quote-tweeting them to all their woke followers who’d do the same to their followers?

The more right-wing someone is politically quite frankly the more asinine this proposition should be.

33 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Either way, Netflix has made the right decision

I’m sorry dude, false accusations of persecutions like rape, shouldn’t be rewarded. They hurt real people.

Regardless of one’s politics It’s disgusting to distort a real tragic event just to further your specific social agenda.

I think you'll find that many of the people who want to see politics kept out of regular, day-to-day discourse are those whose politics are abhorrent to much of civiized society.

That has certainly been my experience with my mother, and the main reason why she hides her political views from every single one of her friends. 

3 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

https://www.npr.org/2021/05/07/994812274/basecamp-blowup-banning-politics-at-work-prompts-over-a-dozen-employees-to-quit

Oh here’s the story of one the places @Heartofice is applauding for canceling their employees for expressing a wide variety of differing viewpoints.

One of the former employees remarks how there’s a fear of the policy being used to quash any specific talks Of problems within the company. Which is reasonable.

A neat trick from the  the far right is demanding censorship to stifle progressive/ left wing thought under the guise of neutrality. 

It is interesting how those people who those people who quit are trying to portray the situation, like their actions were eminently sensible, and just about equality, and not comparing laughing at peoples names to Genocide! Honestly I’m sure Basecamp would be more than happy to lose the sort of people who lose their minds in these situation, in fact having read the CEOs comments, they are more than happy to be rid of them. 

3 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

It is interesting how those people who those people who quit are trying to portray the situation, like their actions were eminently sensible, and just about equality, and not comparing laughing at peoples names to Genocide! Honestly I’m sure Basecamp would be more than happy to lose the sort of people who lose their minds in these situation, in fact having read the CEOs comments, they are more than happy to be rid of them. 

Ah, the event  you’ve just described doesn’t seem to warrant a broad crackdown of all political discourse within a company dude lol.

It sounds cringeworthy but so long as it’s kept to specific company forums and mostly off work time(around breaks lunch) I see no problem quite frankly.

Archived