Ukraine Part 5: war...it never changes

Kalbear

38 minutes ago, JEORDHl said:

Canada has cut off Russia from 'most favored status' meaning 35% tariff on every single Russian product coming in. Is encouraging other nations to do the same.  

Isn't that a violation of WTO rules? 

8 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

I guess I dont understand the reasoning behind the sanctions - for being aligned with Russia in the past?

India was never truly aligned, at least not from their perspective. Actually they headed the non-aligned faction. From the US perspective this was as bad as being aligned with the USSR.  

Same is happening here and I don't think that threatening India would do anything good to the US position. Probably the opposite.

The Putin-Macron call (initiated by Putin) was chilling:

As the number of refugees fleeing the conflict passed a million and Russian forces, backed by heavy shelling, advanced on cities and key ports in the south and east, Russia’s president said in a 90-minute call to his French counterpart he was “prepared to go all the way”, the senior French official said.

Putin – who initiated the call – repeated that Moscow’s objective was the “neutralisation, demilitarisation and de-Nazification” of Ukraine, the official said, adding that Macron had responded that Putin was making a “major mistake” that would cost Russia dearly over the long term.

Doesnt look like he is looking for any kind of off-ramp at all. Although, if Putin initiated the call, maybe he is? Who knows what goes on in the minds of heads of state.

8 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

I guess I dont understand the reasoning behind the sanctions - for being aligned with Russia in the past? Why not sanction China as well, who have a much more active role in this whole conflict?

Well, my understanding is they'd have to be sanctioned for specific transactions - both Turkey and China have been sanctioned under CAATSA for this.  According to the article, Lu claims it's out of concern that technology shared with India can be safeguarded, but yeah I don't really buy that either.  My guess is they're using it as a threat to get India to maintain/take a harder stand against Russia.

5 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

The Putin-Macron call (initiated by Putin) was chilling:

Doesnt look like he is looking for any kind of off-ramp at all. Although, if Putin initiated the call, maybe he is? Who knows what goes on in the minds of heads of state.

Even if he is looking for an off-ramp, it would make sense for him to say that he isn't. He wants to have as much bargaining power as he can.

Talking about gaming studios, I found myself all of a sudden curious about looking up the site of War Thunder again, which has a Russian developer (though the actual state seems to be confusing as they seem to have moved their headquarter to Hungary). Obviously no mention whatsoever and in the forum there are only very scant few threads where users very carefully and under heavy self-censoring dance around the issue (since there apparently seems to be a rule to not mention actual conflicts).

Mmh... I wonder whether after years of memes about Russian bias, Russian tanks get a significant nerf after this...

Also who's up for a game of Defcon?

25 minutes ago, Fez said:

The story I read is that the deal was in limbo rather than completely falling apart, at least for Poland.

This part is interesting

Another: Quite a lot of Polish pilots actually prefer their MiG-29s to U.S.-made F-16s and the Air Force might not want to backfill their familiar Soviet-era aircraft with Uncle Sam's. Technicians also more experienced with MiGs than F-16s.

From what I read long time ago, even the Russian AF was never quite happy with the Mig-29s with them being quite maintenance intensive and generally inferior to the Flankers. They were never able to replace the large number of Mig-21s with sufficient number of Fulcrums.

From the beginning Zelensky has said this isn't a war about Ukraine, it's about a war for Europe.  Unconfirmed tweets have Zelensky saying Putin says he won't stop until he gets to Berlin.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"International Cat Federation bans Russian cats from competitions"

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2022/03/03/russia-cat-ban-ukraine-war/

. . . . The federation, which was established more than 70 years ago, also said it would not allow cats bred in Russia to be imported or registered in any of its pedigree books. Officials said they would be donating funds to assist cat breeders in Ukraine and thanked neighboring countries for their efforts to help Ukrainian refugees.

According to its website, the federation holds more than 700 shows globally each year, with more than 200,000 cats exhibited from Brazil to the United Kingdom. . . . .

2 minutes ago, Zorral said:

From the beginning Zelensky has said this isn't a war about Ukraine, it's about a war for Europe.  Unconfirmed tweets have Zelensky saying Putin says he won't stop until he gets to Berlin.

If that is the case he’s really lost it.  His forces are struggling in Ukraine.  An attack on a NATO member would be suicide.  Will the Russian Military sit by and allow this man to destroy current human Civilization?

I'm not sure if this interview belongs in this particular thread [though it's not completely unrelated] but I was flabbergasted. 

19fucking85

3 minutes ago, JEORDHl said:

I'm not sure if this interview belongs in this particular thread [though it's not completely unrelated] but I was flabbergasted. 

19fucking85

I was born in 1985.  What are you trying to say, that it was a really, really long time ago?  Huh?

This video, and others like it, are making the rounds among the Trumpists, QAnons, anti-Vaxxers, Great Reseters, and other incredibly stupid people -

https://vid8.poal.co/user/AOU/m78pTCF?fbclid=IwAR0R9aq5yEQysb-QO_q7_GZgRTVKDUKpyhJOOKUMcll-E_uar22KGGCpxn8

It's hard to watch and listen to, but its worth knowing what sort of shit people believe. 

Can I just say the atmosphere in Berlin is... strange. Both uplifting and somewhat terrifying. Central station has been turned into a hub for Ukrainian refugees with flag-sporting arrows, signposts and hastily erected handwritten Cyrillic whiteboard information panels everywhere. The ad screens also use the Ukrainian flags as screensavers in between calls to donate blood or money. My mailbox is full of people organizing the collecting of humanitarian supplies to send to the border. Heck, I already donated money and I never donated to anything, mostly because I still got this in the back of my head that I should save up for a home of my own.

On the terrifying side of things every time I travel in the train I'm seeing fully packed up soldiers somewhere. It looks very much like they recalled everyone from vacations or something (I haven't heard anything about reservists mobilizing though). In any case, it feels very much like we are bracing for the worst. Heck, the people in the train are eerily quiet, mostly whispering about Putin's intentions if speaking at all (the horrible screeching "FIND GOD NOW" lady proselytizing with a microphone who annoyed the fuck out of everyone today notwithstanding).

Archived