Brandon Sanderson's Towers of Cash

SpaceChampion

21 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Has anyone seen the new Stormlight miniatures Kickstarter? It's raked in over $1 million in like two days, but the miniatures look pretty poor.

I saw it pop up in one of my feeds, but didn’t look much at it.  The one image I saw didn’t impress, but I’m not very familiar with miniatures and what should look good and what doesn’t.

I still reserve three days a week solely for writing, but that’s down from four days a week in previous years.   

Looks like the Sanderson machine will only be 75% as prolific going forward?

Miniatures are nice and all, but I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that his fans would prefer 33% more writing than swag and side projects. 

The miniatures look fine to my eye, but the paint work on them for the advertising/marketing were a  bit too flat on the faces, IMO.  Unless the characters are supposed to be that uniformly skin toned, if they're not-quite-humans or something?

I always assumed this thread was about a series and thought it funny how it could also refer to Sanderson making a mint. I never clicked into it until now. Nice to see the title was always intended as the joke.

The packaging is definitely exploitative, as discussed before, but I'm not sure I care enough to say it's truly a problem. I certainly won't be buying but I've only ever read the original Mistborn and liked it but didn't connect to it well enough to search out the rest of his works. I do enjoy the Writing Excuses podcast, however.

5 hours ago, Rhom said:

I saw it pop up in one of my feeds, but didn’t look much at it.  The one image I saw didn’t impress, but I’m not very familiar with miniatures and what should look good and what doesn’t.

They're made from PVC which is an odd choice. PVC miniatures can be okay but they can be soft (and thus easily marked by accident) and tricky to paint. The larger pieces, which are made of resin, look a lot better but I'm guessing it's cost-prohibitive to make them all out of resin, although that would be the way to go for the best results.

I've never read any Sanderson book except Elantris myself, but readers of this thread might like to know that Kaladin (and alternative spelling Caladin) and Adolin are now names regularly being given to newborn boys in the USA, especially Utah. They are still far from being common -- there'd probably have to be a TV show or movie for them to make the top thousand list -- but nevertheless it's a sign of how popular Sanderson is that invented character names from his novels are showing up enough to be noticed at all. 

14 hours ago, Ninefingers said:

Looks like the Sanderson machine will only be 75% as prolific going forward?

Miniatures are nice and all, but I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that his fans would prefer 33% more writing than swag and side projects. 

I mean, it's not like Sanderson fans are hurting for writing content, so.

• 2 months later...

Tor, of course, publishing all the books from this Kickstarter.

In Spring 2022, Brandon Sanderson launched a Kickstarter campaign to announce four secret, brand-new novels: three set in the Cosmere universe and the other something completely different. The campaign was Kickstarter’s most successful campaign to date.
Tor Books is proud to be exclusively publishing commercial editions of the Secret Projects three months after each premium edition is distributed to Kickstarter backers. Pre-order all four novels now for quarterly delivery beginning April 2023!
#TressoftheEmeraldSea: Go deeper into the Cosmere universe with this rollicking, riveting tale that will appeal to fans of The Princess Bride. Coming 4.4.2023.
#TheFrugalWizardsHandbookForSurvivingMedievalEngland: Jason Bourne meets epic fantasy in a captivating adventure that throws an amnesiac wizard into time travel shenanigans—where his only hope of survival lies in recovering his missing memories. Coming 6.27.2023.
#YumiandtheNightmarePainter: A gripping story set in the Cosmere universe told by Hoid, where two people from incredibly different worlds must compromise and work together to save their worlds from ruin. Coming 10.3.2023.
#TheSunlitMan: In a future in the Cosmere universe, a perpetual planetary wanderer must decide whether to keep running or stay and make a difference on a struggling planet. Coming 1.2.2024.
Guarantee your copies and pre-order today! https://static.xx.fbcdn.net/images/emoji.php/v9/tf4/1/16/2728.png

Edited by SpaceChampion

1 hour ago, SpaceChampion said:

Tor, of course, publishing all the books from this Kickstarter.

Pretty much what was expected. This whole Kickstarter thing has proved a wild success, and I fully expect to see this become a regular thing for Sanderson.

• 3 weeks later...

Stopped in Barnes and Noble the other day to see if the newest Dresden Files were in MMPB (so they match the rest of the shelf)... they weren't. (Or at least weren't in stock.)  Edit:  (Hmmm... looks like I may be misremembering things.  Looks like Battle Ground is still the most recent book and I do have that in paperback.)

However, I discovered that The Lost Metal (book 4 of Mistborn era 2) featuring Wax and Wayne was available.  Somehow that release completely passed me by.  I picked it up and finished the book I was reading last night.  So now I'm trying to decide if I dive into TLM, or if I should try to find a summary online of what has happened.  I don't remember hardly anything of the other W&W books other than that I generally thought they were a fun read.  I do remember a cool climactic fight that made use of a time bubble, but I think that was in book one.  :dunno:  I certainly don't have time to reread the books.

Edited by Rhom

20 hours ago, Rhom said:

Everything you need to know before reading The Lost Metal

Handy guide I have found.

ETA:  Okay, I have read the guide... I remember precisely none of that.  :lol: 

Tell me if the book is worth reading.  I have it, but I lost enthusiasm after 10 pages or so in favor of something else, but it may pick up?

Edited by Gaston de Foix

1 hour ago, Gaston de Foix said:

Tell me if the book is worth reading.  I have it, but I lost enthusiasm after 10 pages or so in favor of something else, but it may pick up?

It's pretty standard Sanderson, mainly, so if you like his other stuff (especially the previous Wax & Wayne books) you'll like this. It does get more into cosmere stuff but I don't think you'll lose anything if you haven't read any non-Mistborn novels. (The particular short stories/novellas/whatever relevant to The Lost Metal are Mistborn: Secret History and The Emperor's Soul).

51 minutes ago, Denvek said:

(The particular short stories/novellas/whatever relevant to The Lost Metal are Mistborn: Secret History and The Emperor's Soul).

Okay... I'm intrigued now.  That is my favorite piece of Sanderson writing and the one thing I thought that genuinely stepped outside of his standard formula.

2 hours ago, Gaston de Foix said:

That's funny... because I think I hit page 15 last night and put it down and decided I had other things to do.  :lol:  I do plan to read more of it tonight though!