Brandon Sanderson's Towers of Cash

SpaceChampion

No matter exactly how much profit will be made, it will be a shitload of money for 4 unedited, self-published novels.

The kicker is that he won't have to pay the usual 15%-20% fees to his agents on both sides of the pond, which means even more money in his pocket.

So yeah, well done by him.

He mentions Peter Ahlstrom being "Editorial Director" at Dragon Steel, and Ahlstrom did an AMA identifying himself as Sanderson's "in-house editor" while stating this:

I'll be the main editor on three of the secret projects, though I'll also use a combination of in-house and outside line editors, copyeditors, and proofreaders. The fourth will have editing duties shared between me and someone who has edited his books before

Ahlstrom edited up to seven titles monthly for Tokyopop, per an interview. Edited publications + paid for it = professional editor in my book. But sure, the way he came to now editing books for Sanderson is non-typical. Still, money is actually being spent on editing.

The fourth title must be co-edited with whoever has edited his Stormlight Archive at Tor.

Edited by Ran

2 minutes ago, Ninefingers said:

Seems like the main advantage for Sanderson is that he gets to pay fee for service for many of the things needed instead of the "hand the publisher a massive percentage" package deal. 

Right.

And interestingly, on Reddit Sanderson has spoken of already working out details of publishing all the books traditionally. The only sticking point is he wants to make sure the Kickstarter/Backerkit subscribers all get their copies first before the books hit shelves. So he's moving pretty quick.

The amount of press he's gotten from this is a huge boon because you can be 100% sure that next year when the first of these hits shelves, there will be more pieces in national/international media reminding people, "Hey, remember that writer who shattered records and raised $40+ million for books he wrote? The first of those can now be bought on shelves, might be worth seeing what all the fuss was about."

Really smart stuff, honestly. Good for him and his team.

4 minutes ago, Ran said:

Right.

And interestingly, on Reddit Sanderson has spoken of already working out details of publishing all the books traditionally. The only sticking point is he wants to make sure the Kickstarter/Backerkit subscribers all get their copies first before the books hit shelves. So he's moving pretty quick.

The amount of press he's gotten from this is a huge boon because you can be 100% sure that next year when the first of these hits shelves, there will be more pieces in national/international media reminding people, "Hey, remember that writer who shattered records and raised $40+ million for books he wrote? The first of those can now be bought on shelves, might be worth seeing what all the fuss was about."

Really smart stuff, honestly. Good for him and his team.

And I'm pretty sure Hollywood took notice of the amount and the popularity/publicity of this Kickstarter. Given that cinematic Universe are in vogue right now, the Cosmere seems not too far from seeing actual adaptations. I'm betting we see a Mistborn series/movie by 2025/26. 

11 minutes ago, fionwe1987 said:

And I'm pretty sure Hollywood took notice of the amount and the popularity/publicity of this Kickstarter. Given that cinematic Universe are in vogue right now, the Cosmere seems not too far from seeing actual adaptations. I'm betting we see a Mistborn series/movie by 2025/26. 

Didn't even consider this but it makes perfect sense. 

Yeah, he does an annual update on TV and film rights. Most recently(LINK):

Mistborn

I’m still developing (in a hands on way) a Mistborn feature film.  I’ve written a treatment, some actual scenes, etc.  I can’t tell you much about it other than that I feel very good about the motion on this for the first time ever, as I have some really excellent partners on the project.

The Stormlight Archive

Likewise, I’ve been working very hands-on in creating the Stormlight Archive as a premium cable television show.  This is with Dan Mintz and DMG, who has had the rights forever.  I’ve enjoyed my time working with him, and have enjoyed his thoughts as a partner.  I think this will happen someday, though I’m not sure when and with whom.

Edited by Ninefingers
formatting

Am I reading too much into his Stormlight Archive commentary being a bit of "Mormon nice"? Sounds to me like he thinks Mintz and DMG should let go of their option so that someone else can take a crack at it.

Edited by Ran

2 hours ago, Ran said:

Am I reading too much into his Stormlight Archive commentary being a bit of "Mormon nice"? Sounds to me like he thinks Mintz and DMG should let go of their option so that someone else can take a crack at it.

Might be. :dunno: 

• 1 month later...
41 minutes ago, Gigei said:

I never liked the Wax and Wayne covers, but I like the series.

The Wax and Wayne books have been some of the best stuff he’s done IMO.

Hey this is the most hyped book Sanderson's announced, specific to my taste! I absolutely think the Wax and Wayne books are the best version of Sanderson. My opinions of Stormlight sour by year, but I thoroughly enjoy this series. He keeps the pace throughout while weaving in his always interesting magic systems and world building. And his quick character pastiches of his mains come off the pages far more relatable and charming than his ponderous explorations of other his series protagonists' motivations. 

Great timing for a rip-roarin' jaunt to re-read under an early summer sun.