Future of Edric Dayne

What future do you think that Ned Dayne, Beric Dondarrion's squire who bonded to some extent with Arya, will have following his departure of the main branch of the Brotherhood Without Banners as he did not want to follow Lady Stoneheart ? 

What role could he have in the future ? Will he reunite with Arya and meet other members of the Stark family, including Jon who he says was his milk brother due to them both having been nursed by the woman called Wylla ?

I'm gonna copy my posts in "Baseless Prediction" thread about him:

Bloody Ben Blackwood is supposed to be a parallel to Edric "Ned" Dayne, as young leaders who have to grow up and experience war too fast, fighting in Riverlands! and oh.. Ned is the leader of another faction of brotherhood without banners, he will be the one who fights lady Stoneheart rescuing Jaimie. but her mortal ending will be a mercy in the hands of Arya. Ned -like his uncle Arthur- will be a friend of the smallfolk and the Sword of the Morning. he is helping out the smallfolk in repairing their homes and having their last harvest. he and his men protect villages from thieves, broken men ,etc . the reason we haven't heard of him yet is LSH's hangings have caught everyone's attention. and he and Sansa will end up falling in love , becoming a more fortunate version of Ashara & Ned .

However , I currently think Dawn and the title Sword of the Morning goes to Jon Snow (Dayne or not) ... I mean .. if Brienne and Jaimie get to wield Stark Ice , why can't Jon wield Dawn leading the battle for the Dawn?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/5/2022 at 5:10 PM, Lord Lannister said:

I really think his role in the story has mostly run his course. He was there mostly as a red herring to detract from R+L = J. 

Many fans believe that he was originally supposed to have whatever role Darkstar has now. Personally, I have a hard time seeing that, given how different they are as characters, in terms of personality.

2 hours ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

Many fans believe that he was originally supposed to have whatever role Darkstar has now. Personally, I have a hard time seeing that, given how different they are as characters, in terms of personality.

Add a five year gap of him hanging out with the BWB and Stoneheart and it's not inconceivable young Ned Dayne could have gone dark.

35 minutes ago, Lord Lannister said:

Add a five year gap of him hanging out with the BWB and Stoneheart and it's not inconceivable young Ned Dayne could have gone dark.

The brotherhood is not a lawful party with authority to carry out justice.  What they have been up to have so far been the farthest from justice.  Young Dayne is unlikely to grow up a good man in such company.  

On 4/1/2022 at 9:52 AM, Lord Lannister said:

I don’t think he necessarily needs to have been the same character to accomplish w/w Martin wants him to do. I think GRRM just decided to give the new guy a very distinct persona, whereas I think Edric was originally going to essentially be Arthur II. Gerald is like the antithesis. 

On 4/1/2022 at 10:29 AM, Rondo said:

The brotherhood is not a lawful party with authority to carry out justice.  What they have been up to have so far been the farthest from justice.  Young Dayne is unlikely to grow up a good man in such company.  

Personally, I disagree with that theory.  From what we've seen of Edric, given his circumstances, he seems fairly well grounded - else he might be following Lady Stoneheart.  

I really hope we do see him again, and that he has a significant role to play.  Although he's unlikely to ever develop the prowess with a sword that his uncle Arthur had; I think has the making of fine Lord/leader.   

I don't have any predictions for what happens to him; but, that is one mystery I am looking forward to as much as anything else among the minor/overlooked sub-plots (along with:   What's up with Hal Mollen and Ned's bones?,  where is the Blackfish going? - Jason Mallister - if Patrek can be freed/the Frey's get distracted, does he rise up - or is that where the Blackfish is headed? - imagine some kind of alliance with the Blackfish, Jason Mallister, and Edric Dayne stirring things up in the Riverlands).  

On 4/8/2022 at 9:47 PM, Lord of Brewtown said:

Personally, I disagree with that theory.  From what we've seen of Edric, given his circumstances, he seems fairly well grounded - else he might be following Lady Stoneheart.  

I really hope we do see him again, and that he has a significant role to play.  Although he's unlikely to ever develop the prowess with a sword that his uncle Arthur had; I think has the making of fine Lord/leader.   

I don't have any predictions for what happens to him; but, that is one mystery I am looking forward to as much as anything else among the minor/overlooked sub-plots (along with:   What's up with Hal Mollen and Ned's bones?,  where is the Blackfish going? - Jason Mallister - if Patrek can be freed/the Frey's get distracted, does he rise up - or is that where the Blackfish is headed? - imagine some kind of alliance with the Blackfish, Jason Mallister, and Edric Dayne stirring things up in the Riverlands).  

Well-grounded he may be now but his understanding of justice will be distorted.  

On 4/5/2022 at 9:47 AM, Moiraine Sedai said:

He did not really bond with Arya. They had a conversation. 

No, it's like Hollywood movies. If a guy and a girl appear on screen together that is automatically a firm basis for there being a romantic love interest. It doesn't matter why they're onscreen together, what their interests are, or even if there was any chemistry between them. On screen together = bonding/future love interest. So, @Rondo is correct. Edric and Arya will inevitably fall in love but, tragically, he will mistakenly sacrifice her trying to light his sword. Oh, I almost forgot. Gendry is the third part of the mandatory love triangle. He will try to convince Arya that he can just make the sword without anyone dying but she'll find out he's the son of the king and feel betrayed that he never told her. She'll think he's no longer the angry somewhat dangerous hunk she first fell for. I could go on but the story practically writes itself.

7 hours ago, tallTale said:

Someone has to be worth of wielding the sword of the morning during the final battle against the white walkers, why not a Dayne? Snow isn't a Dayne, and Darkstar is too much of a turd to be ultimately worthy.

akh ..see?...  that's why it would have been better if Snow was a Dayne bastard.. say, bastard of a guy who ,like Jon, swore vows of celibacy :closedeyes:

On 3/4/2022 at 9:50 AM, Terrorthatflapsinthenight9 said:

What future do you think that Ned Dayne, Beric Dondarrion's squire who bonded to some extent with Arya, will have following his departure of the main branch of the Brotherhood Without Banners as he did not want to follow Lady Stoneheart ? 

What role could he have in the future ? Will he reunite with Arya and meet other members of the Stark family, including Jon who he says was his milk brother due to them both having been nursed by the woman called Wylla ?

To give the sword Dawn to Jon Snow ,

Archived