Ukraine War 6: what the hell are the Russians thinking?

Ser Scot A Ellison

This is a West Point panel of experts discussing where the Russians are Economically, Politically, and Militarily at this point.  It’s an hour and a half and facinating.

https://mwi.usma.edu/one-week-in-an-operational-assessment-of-the-war-in-ukraine/?fbclid=IwAR2Ko3hmrandeSDYUNolcfPjvzIwQJ3NEsNRwiXIKEuFTLp0S4le0mtvxHw

Just now, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Is it possible we just have less trade with Russia and as a result will have less monetary impact?

No.

No  need to apologize Scot. I mean, the UK I suppose I get [not excusing] as Johnson is/likely is a Russian stooge [amongst other issues, BREXIT demoralization whatever] but the US? The hell, man. 

6 minutes ago, JEORDHl said:

I'm looking at this graph, and wonder what. in the. fuck. is up with the US and UK

The UK Tory party is funded by oligarchs so they’re kindly giving plenty of time for them to move money. Also Russia probably has compromising info on Johnson.

5 minutes ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

The UK Tory party is funded by oligarchs so they’re kindly giving plenty of time for them to move money. Also Russia probably has compromising info on Johnson.

Looks like the oligarchs have completed excising themselves from the UK sanction sitch.

How does Johnson's head not roll over this

12 minutes ago, JEORDHl said:

How does Johnson's head not roll over this

There's no way Johnson's head's going to roll over this. People don't pay enough attention for it to stick. The war in Ukraine's helping him by distracting from the partygate stuff that actually was getting some traction.

ETA: Although to be fair number of entities sanctioned isn't really a good measure of how significant the actual sanctions are. I expect Johnson is doing a shit job of following through on a decent sanctions regime but that's not particularly definitive proof.

Russia's blocked Facebook, Twitter, and many other news/apps.

Can stealth bombers drop info leaflets, or is that too high of an elevation 

Given how these last years have been a weird combination of tragic, horrifying and unbelievably stupid, I wouldn't be surprised if this whole nonsense ends with Putin trying to nuke NATO and finding out that almost the entirety of the Russian nuke arsenal has either rusted stuck, rotted away in moldy boxes or dismantled and the spare parts sold for booze.

5 minutes ago, JEORDHl said:

The old ways are still the best. The BBC already announced yesterday that they are reviving shortwave radio for transmitting to Ukraine and parts of Russia.

Hopefully the info got out there before the cutoff happened.

8 minutes ago, JEORDHl said:

The BBC have put up instructions for how to get to their site on the dark web for people in Russia. Which is a little surreal.

43 minutes ago, JEORDHl said:

No  need to apologize Scot. I mean, the UK I suppose I get [not excusing] as Johnson is/likely is a Russian stooge [amongst other issues, BREXIT demoralization whatever] but the US? The hell, man. 

There were a number of stories before and just after the initial invasion discussing how Wall St. and other large financial institutions were succeeding in lobbying to water down any potential sanctions. 

In America, the moneyed interests tend to get their way. 

6 minutes ago, JEORDHl said:

I know everything is moving super fast and news is flying, and... FUCK THIS GUY

Agreed.  “We have no intention to invade Ukraine”.  Now this bullshit???  Part of me just wants to start calling Kaliningrad Koeingsburg as an act of defiance and to give this fuck a taste of his own medicine.

Archived