Ukraine War 6: what the hell are the Russians thinking?

Ser Scot A Ellison

Although we don't have any Khor vodka at work (the only Ukranian I've ever heard of), I've unofficially renamed one of our popular drinks the Kyiv Mule. Doesn't have the same ring to it. But my regulars seem happy we're swapping to Ketel and not buying any more Stoli. One 30 dollar bottle every week or so doesn't mean much as a strong statement against this Russian invasion, at least it's keeping my small town Midwest people proud of themselves.

Regarding Russian censorship of social and news media platforms, what about web forums? This is a particularly international place, and I have to imagine there are plenty of Russians who enjoy a forum devoted to ASOIAF (and a lively off-topic community with a higher level of discourse than the average fan site I frequent). I can understand millions of skeptical Russian nationals who don't interact online much with non-Russians, but surely many, many Russians read sites like this and hear of the invasion without the thick red filter the state controlled Russian media reports.

Long story short: Is this thread and myriad others like it on every forum on the net blocked in Russia?

12 minutes ago, Argonath Diver said:

Although we don't have any Khor vodka at work (the only Ukranian I've ever heard of), I've unofficially renamed one of our popular drinks the Kyiv Mule. Doesn't have the same ring to it. But my regulars seem happy we're swapping to Ketel and not buying any more Stoli. One 30 dollar bottle every week or so doesn't mean much as a strong statement against this Russian invasion, at least it's keeping my small town Midwest people proud of themselves.

Well, before you take your Vodka embargo too far, I'd just note that export Stoli is made by a Latvian company...

ETA: Actually its a Luxembourg company with its manufacturing in Latvia.  So its more like banning French Fries due to the name.

14 minutes ago, Argonath Diver said:

Although we don't have any Khor vodka at work (the only Ukranian I've ever heard of), I've unofficially renamed one of our popular drinks the Kyiv Mule. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

My brother mentioned to me the other day that Moscow Mules are being renamed in bars all over the place.  Thinking about it, I like renaming it "Kyiv" something, but yeah, "mule" doesn't quite work.  My suggestion - Kyiv Calf.

7 minutes ago, horangi said:

ETA: Actually its a Luxembourg company with its manufacturing in Latvia.  So its more like banning French Fries due to the name.

I'm pretty sure you mean Freedom Fries.

7 minutes ago, DMC said:

My brother mentioned to me the other day that Moscow Mules are being renamed in bars all over the place.  Thinking about it, I like renaming it "Kyiv" something, but yeah, "mule" doesn't quite work.  My suggestion - Kyiv Calf.

Indeed. And Kyiv Cocktail is kind of awkward. I'm not sure why it needs Mule in the title at all; the apocryphal reason was the ginger beer giving the drink a kick. Eh. 

8 minutes ago, horangi said:

Well, before you take your Vodka embargo too far, I'd just note that export Stoli is made by a Latvian company...

Yep, and it's a very minor purchase regardless. I only made a show of it because nice old ladies in my town feel better about their world outlook by drinking a Netherlands labelled vodka. They don't see that all our flavored vodkas are Smirnoff, and my boss won't swap up to a better vodka series or something crappier like Pinnacle. 

1 minute ago, Argonath Diver said:

the apocryphal reason was the ginger beer giving the drink a kick. Eh. 

Ha, didn't know that.  When I think of giving a drink a kick, definitely ain't with ginger beer.

You could've also switched to Polish Vodka. I mean, that stuff is distilled all over the slav countries. Not much of a vodka connoisseur myself (I can't stand that paint thinner taste to be blunt), but if you need to get hammered, the Serbs are producing one with 88%, that should do the trick rather quick.

1 hour ago, Argonath Diver said:

Regarding Russian censorship of social and news media platforms, what about web forums? This is a particularly international place, and I have to imagine there are plenty of Russians who enjoy a forum devoted to ASOIAF (and a lively off-topic community with a higher level of discourse than the average fan site I frequent). I can understand millions of skeptical Russian nationals who don't interact online much with non-Russians, but surely many, many Russians read sites like this and hear of the invasion without the thick red filter the state controlled Russian media reports.

Long story short: Is this thread and myriad others like it on every forum on the net blocked in Russia?

I can't speak to Russia but almost no web forums are blocked in China. In general Chinese censorship seems to focus on new social media and news sites. Basically every forum I can think of is free from restrictions. You can even go to to 4chan without a VPN. It just seems this kind of niche legacy social media completely escapes the censors here. Is Russia the same? Maybe their internet blocking is a lot less severe than China's or was at least a week ago. On the other hand Russia is more in tune with Western culture and might be more aware or care more about a place like this. 

:( On a global web forum for translators, a Ukrainian poster tells some horrifying tales from their closest city, Kherson. Ukrainian/intl aid is taken by Russian forces and passed off as their own, so that people have to "come to Russia" for emergency supplies. People being shot at for setting foot outdoors. Mines planted inside public buildings, and even on sidewalks and in schools. The TV tower has been taken, and now only Russian propaganda is being broadcast. Propaganda is created for home use as well, with displays of people, bussed in for the occasion from Crimea, acting grateful and happy to see Russian troops.

Trigger warning, r___

Spoiler

Worst of all, the age-old horror of rape as a weapon of terror. Young women are targeted, some don't survive.

4 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

You could've also switched to Polish Vodka.

Finnish would be better, surely? It;s still two fingers to the Russians and better than Polish, in general.

Speaking of cocktail rebranding, I'm mildly disturbed to hear a rumour that the Ukrainians are referring to petrol bombs as Bandera Cocktails instead of Molotov Cocktails. Again, Bandera was a fascist himself.

2 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

Are we sure the Russian nukes aren't just tin cylinders filled with straw? 

I don't think we want to find out.

Anyway, that tweet is probably inaccurate. Yuzhmash made some of the silo-based ICBMs that Russia still utilizes as well as space rockets. But many others aren't made there, in particular none of the submarine based ones or the mobile launched. They launch systems have been continuously tested, some just weeks ago. 

The health of the warheads is a valid concern and that is true also for US. No warhead has been tested in decades and thus you don't know if they are working (of course there are quality controls regularly but the point still stands). IIRC US tested a dud (without the nuclear fuel) some time in the 90s drawing outrage from Russia. In the 80s some people in the US wanted to fully test the Trident system, that is with a live warhead, something not done since (maybe) early 50s. The rationale is that you don't fully know if the whole system will work together. 

Notice that of the 4000 or so warheads attributed to Russia only 1500 are strategic ones, mounted on ICBMs. The rest are tactical ones on short range missiles or gravity bombs.

58 minutes ago, mormont said:

Finnish would be better, surely? It;s still two fingers to the Russians and better than Polish, in general.

Speaking of cocktail rebranding, I'm mildly disturbed to hear a rumour that the Ukrainians are referring to petrol bombs as Bandera Cocktails instead of Molotov Cocktails. Again, Bandera was a fascist himself.

Like I said, Vodka is not my booze. If you rate Finnish Vodka higher, I'll take your word for it.

On the other hand...

53 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

:angry2:

Round 1. Fight!

Almost forgot what I actually wanted to post, before this Vodka discussion sidetracked me.

Looks like Sergej Karjakin is getting black listed by tournament organizers right now.

London Chess Classic organizer Malcolm Pein said, chances of inviting Karjakin in the future are somewhere between 0-1%

Norwegians have announced they won't invite him in the future. The Grand Chess tour has kicked him off from their participationn list. 

The organizers of Wijk are atm playing on time. They are playing in January, so there's still some time, but I suspect they will eventually announce, that he won't be playing there in the foreseeable future either. That leaves only very few top events that haven't declared him a persona non grata. St. Louis (Sinquefield will eventually follow suit) and the Gashimov memorial in Azerbaijan. The Gashimov memorial is presumably his best bet. He was good friends with the late Vugar Gashimov, and gets along very well with the Azeri organizers. Altho, Rauf Mamedov had basically told him to drop dead after some of his more horrific tweets. So that could also spell bad news for Karjakin.  

There's also still a disciplinary hearing for him at FIDE, worst case scenario for him, he gets kicked out of the candidates tournament (for which he qualified). I doubt FIDE will go that far, but his twitter account didn't exactly help his career.

I wouldn't be too surprised at this point, if his Russian team mates refused to participate in events with him (not relevant for now, as team Russia and team Belarusk are suspended atm).

vodka series or something crappier like Pinnacle.

odd. Isn't all vodka is chemically identical, added flavor notwithstanding?

the renaming thing is about as silly as tryna cancel tolstoy on the basis of national origin, though.

Archived