Ukraine War Part 7: Delete your army

Kalbear

50 minutes ago, Larry of the Lake said:

Maybe.  Oil does wonders to change perspective on atrocity.  It's not as if this would be the first time a country did something horrific and then things went more or less back to normal.  

Some will be quicker to drop sanctions and begin normalization than others, but this situation is not going to end quickly. Russia has seriously broken peace in Europe, shattered any good will they had and even if the war ends today this will be felt in Europe for years to come. Putin is delusional if he thinks he can smooth this over quickly, especially with most of the major parties (Germany will be interesting to watch).

Public Radio news reports that Russia announced it has anti-aircraft missiles etc. covering All of Ukraine air space, so anyone in it that isn't them will be shot down.

Will that equipment work as well as other of the equipment has failed to do?  I don't know about these matters so I depend on those who do.

1 hour ago, Zorral said:

Public Radio news reports that Russia announced it has anti-aircraft missiles etc. covering All of Ukraine air space, so anyone in it that isn't them will be shot down.

Will that equipment work as well as other of the equipment has failed to do?  I don't know about these matters so I depend on those who do.

Can the fighters be moved across the border by train?

1 hour ago, Lord of Oop North said:

Fucking disgusting.

Putin must fall.

What makes it even worse are the Putin water carriers here in the States claiming this atrocity was conducted by Ukranians to help drag America into a shooting war...

1 hour ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

What makes it even worse are the Putin water carriers here in the States claiming this atrocity was conducted by Ukranians to help drag America into a shooting war...

Yes, it will be interesting to see the information war that will continue to unfold. Already Russia and China are pushing the narrative that the US has bioweapons labs in Ukraine (which is potentially an ominous forecasting of Russia's own intentions).

11 hours ago, Fez said:

The amount is so tiny that it's strictly symbolic, but this would seem to me to be a warning to Putin:

China has given several soft warnings to Russia, despite their carfully curated neutral statements. I'd guess that the highest levels of government are a lot less pleased with this war then many in the West think, but they surely also see the opportunity of weakened Russia becoming more dependent on them. 

1 hour ago, Darzin said:

China has given several soft warnings to Russia, despite their carfully curated neutral statements. I'd guess that the highest levels of government are a lot less pleased with this war then many in the West think, but they surely also see the opportunity of weakened Russia becoming more dependent on them. 

They could pull the plug any time they want, Xi telling one of his underlings to call Putin, they will join the sanctions if he doesn't put a stop to it within 48 hours would most certainly do the trick.

However, whether a weakened Russia is in their long term interest is another question. They wanted a partner in reshaping the world order, and this Russia could turn out to be more of liability. Sure, the resources are nice and the discount on those are nice. But long term China would arguably prefer a stronger less dependant Russia as a partner.

7 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Can the fighters be moved across the border by train?

In pieces. It is probably not an option, it would be hard to stitch them back together in Ukraine in this circumstances.

Lithuania and Latvia have renamed the streets the Russian embassies are on. 
Lithuania has renamed it “Ukranian Heroes”, and Latvia has renamed it “Independent Ukraine Street”.

Glasgow Council did this to the South African consulate in the 80’s durign Apartheid - renamed the street it was in to Nelson Mandela Place.

1 hour ago, Filippa Eilhart said:

I'm beginning to think the whole Mig thing was some sort of a power play and noone ever seriously considered handing them over.

It's the same as early in the war when a number of countries were said to have agreed to send planes (Bulgaria, Poland, etc.) and then the next day they all said that was ridiculous, of course they wouldn't/couldn't just give planes away.

I think there are people who are genuinely interested in doing this, but their hands are tied by the gravity of the situation or by others who are less willing, so you get one person saying "Maybe that could work" turned into an announcement that an agreement has been made and then someone has to swat it down.

42 minutes ago, Filippa Eilhart said:

I'm beginning to think the whole Mig thing was some sort of a power play and noone ever seriously considered handing them over.

As far as I remember it all started as a conception of UE (Borrell). Then, after Bulgaria, Romania and Slovakia dropped off, USA encouraged Poland to pass the planes by public (!) speaking about talks being held on the matter. Several times. Poland was avoiding declarations, but when finally publicly declared readiness and the hot potato was thrown back, it turned out USA find the whole project unnecessary and dangerous :rolleyes:

I do hate PiS, but this time - chapeau bas.    

Archived