Jump to content

The missing Northmen


Recommended Posts

Where is 3500 soldiers Robb brought to the Twins? Will we see them later? 

They can't all have been killed as historically only small numbers die in battle and 90-95% flee. Can the Boltons and Freys really have killed all the 3500, how would they even know who to kill and how would no one let it slip if ALL the Boltons and Freys knew?!??

I imagine the majority of the 3500 (3000 I predict) will form the bulk of Jon's Stark Army vs Ramsay. I imagine them arriving to help Jon to tell them that fought with the Young Wolf and now they will loyally fight and die for him if needs be. They will have great battlefield skill being veterans of half a hundred battles like Whispering wood, oxcross and more. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If we’re going to talk about missing Northmen, there are so many worthier examples to discuss. We know that most - if not all - of the 3500 Northerners (and Rivermen) are dead.

I’m still curious about the missing 600 men commanded by Kyle Condon and Ronnel Stout. And what about the Karstark horsemen combing the Riverlands looking for Jaime? What became of the expedition sent by Robb into the Neck? Did nobody survive Duskendale or the Ruby Ford?

Edited by Canon Claude
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The 600 men from the Rills were probably defeated by the Freys after the Red Wedding when the Freys sent men to defeat Seaguard and bring them to bay.

The Karstark men in the Riverlands probably joined the Boltons in betraying the Starks after Roose Bolton sent them a raven to explain the situation.

The expedition to the Neck will probably yield a rather large army of Crannogmen (they are the only Northern House at 100% strength) who will join the new Stark Army lead by Jon, Lyanna Mormont and Ned Umber

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Mark O'Kane said:

The 600 men from the Rills were probably defeated by the Freys after the Red Wedding when the Freys sent men to defeat Seaguard and bring them to bay.

The Karstark men in the Riverlands probably joined the Boltons in betraying the Starks after Roose Bolton sent them a raven to explain the situation.

The expedition to the Neck will probably yield a rather large army of Crannogmen (they are the only Northern House at 100% strength) who will join the new Stark Army lead by Jon, Lyanna Mormont and Ned Umber

 

Ned Umber's a show character.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Canon Claude said:

If we’re going to talk about missing Northmen, there are so many worthier examples to discuss. We know that most - if not all - of the 3500 Northerners (and Rivermen) are dead.

I’m still curious about the missing 600 men commanded by Kyle Condon and Ronnel Stout. And what about the Karstark horsemen combing the Riverlands looking for Jaime? What became of the expedition sent by Robb into the Neck? Did nobody survive Duskendale or the Ruby Ford?

Some karstark men joined roose. But I doubt theyd be many.

The expedition I’m guessing they stayed with Mormont and glover having a little holiday at greywater watch. We might hear about them in winds.

About the stout and Cerwyn men at the ruby Ford. I’m guessing Martin forgot about them, including the karstark horsemen that are scattered around the riverlands.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Mark O'Kane said:

 

The expedition to the Neck will probably yield a rather large army of Crannogmen (they are the only Northern House at 100% strength)

 

Skagos would like a word.

Also, I’m pretty sure that the crannogmen don’t have a considerable force, given their culture and their lifestyle. They’re a great defensive force when they’re on home turf and that’s about it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Mark O'Kane said:

Macey was killed the Red Wedding, Maege is with Robbett Glover and the other sister must needs defend their borders surely?

Sure but I still don't get why that would precipitate a 10 year old girl leading an army. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Mark O'Kane said:

Macey was killed the Red Wedding, Maege is with Robbett Glover and the other sister must needs defend their borders surely?

Dacey is dead, yes, but Lyanna Mormont still has three living sisters. Two of them, Lyra and Jorelle, are with their mother Maege. The eldest living sister, Alysanne, is with Stannis Baratheon's army, leading the Mormont faction. If anyone's leading an army, it's going to be her while Lyanna stays home with Alysanne's two children. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Actually, Lyra, Jorelle, and Lyanna are at Bear Island, while Maege is officially MIA, having been sent with Robbett Glover by Robb to be found by Howland Reed.

I strongly suspect that Howland, Robbett, Maege, and a decent-sized hand picked force of Northerners are currently hiding in the lower levels of the Winterfell Crypts. (The crypts that are "longer than Winterfell itself" whose lower levels are supposedly flooded, so no one goes down there. Yeah, right.) They are conspiring with the northern lords to take down Roose when the time is ripe. Why else would Lady Dustin make sure the door to the crypts is shoveled clear and unstuck?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Floki of the Ironborn said:

Are you saying that Alysanne was lying to Asha, then?

I guess I'm assuming Alysanne is mistaken. Robb never mentioned Maege's younger daughters when he sent Maege to the Neck. (It seems unlikely Maege would take them with her, since the trip was considered to be quite risky, and no one around Robb suspected the Red Wedding.) Nor did we see them in Catelyn's ASoS POVs while Robb traveled to The Twins. Perhaps they were sent to Seagard. Perhaps they are hostages at The Twins. Perhaps this a GRRM screw-up. Or perhaps you are right, and I should stand corrected. If so, thank you for correcting me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Ibbison from Ibben said:

(It seems unlikely Maege would take them with her, since the trip was considered to be quite risky, and no one around Robb suspected the Red Wedding.) 

That's true, nobody suspected the Red Wedding, and Dacey still went with Robb. I imagine that Lyra and Jorelle are significantly younger than Dacey and Alysanne ( but still older than Lyanna, obviously). 
I don't understand what the risk is for Maege, though. Why was it a risk for Northerners to travel into the Neck? They have nothing to fear from the crannogmen, surely? Robb doesn't think it'll be difficult at all to take Moat Cailin with Howland Reed's help. And nobody fears for Glover and Mormont's safety, far as I remember, they just worry over whether the crannogmen will be useful against the Ironborn, which is just prejudice against the crannogmen's lack of traditional war prowess. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...