GRRM Updates Fans on Multiple Projects

Westeros

Over at Not a Blog, George R.R. Martin has provided fans a lengthy update on The Winds of Winter, HBO’s successor shows, and more… and in the process lets the cat out of the bag regarding one project we here at Westeros.org have been working on for the last couple of years.

We’ll provide a quick summary below:

https://www.westeros.org/Graphics/Images/_medium/2023_Calendar_Chase-Stone.jpg

read on >>>

View the full article

I think we can glean from this post that The Sea Snake has advanced from the "pitch" phase to the "pilot script was ordered" phase, and that A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms has similarly advanced to the pilot script phase as well. We already knew some months ago that Amanda Segel's 10,000 Ships had advanced from pitch phase to pilot script phase.

Compare to the original War of the Five Pitches, when two of them never advanced beyond pitch phase.

Also good that he's confirming these are in fact their formal names - or at least their working titles for now (along with The Golden Empire). 

We heard rumor of three animated projects including Yi Ti. But we'll see what happens.

16 minutes ago, The Dragon Demands said:

...."condensed"? How?

Open Microsoft Word

Load Fire and Blood

Click AutoSummarize

I kid. The brief from our editors was to try and trim the text down to make it more digestable for readers who may find F&B a bit too long, and to make room for many, many illustrations. It's what we did with TWoIaF's account of the Targaryen history, but with much more room, so fewer cuts and compressions. We basically boiled it down to essential details where we could, and tried to keep some of the color.

It is not, in any way shape or form, something that anyone who has already read F&B needs unless they are a completist or they want to see the art, which will includes some maps and other interesting things.

@sifth

Our own project is in copyediting and will get a title, cover, and publication date announced in the near future.

Edited by Ran

@Ran

Can you guys try to get, say, clarifications for certain condensed sections like, you know, the names of Corlys Velaryon's parents, Otto Hightower's brother, wife, parents or something along those lines?

In light of HoD and Sea Snake show that would all be very appreciated ;-).

27 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

@Ran

Can you guys try to get, say, clarifications for certain condensed sections like, you know, the names of Corlys Velaryon's parents, Otto Hightower's brother, wife, parents or something along those lines?

In light of HoD and Sea Snake show that would all be very appreciated ;-).

For that matter....info on Alicent's mother? And remaining few dragon colors? :)

1 minute ago, GuestRights said:

The "Who’s Who in Westeros" book is a printed version of the app?

It's early days yet to talk about it, but it does recapitulate the basic idea of an encyclopedia-like guide to characters. The key difference, I think, would be it would have a lot of new artwork specifically created for it, whereas the app reused art assets from other projects.

4 minutes ago, Ran said:

It's early days yet to talk about it, but it does recapitulate the basic idea of an encyclopedia-like guide to characters. The key difference, I think, would be it would have a lot of new artwork specifically created for it, whereas the app reused art assets from other projects.

Will it include characters from Winds or stop at Dance?

7 minutes ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

What is Sea Snake supposed to be about?

A young Corlys Velaryon and his famous voyages.

1 minute ago, GuestRights said:

Will it include characters from Winds or stop at Dance?

Can't comment on that.

Have GRRM and I become telepathically linked? I recently started saying how I’d prefer if he prioritized DnE, and this blog post makes me think he might be :stunned:

I will happily buy the new FnB just for the illustrations. 

That GRRM is talking about FnB II makes me think that a) he probably realized it’s going to be longer than just two books, and b) HBO probably wants to look into making spin-offs for the post-Dance period. I love FnB, so fingers crossed for the next book!

When you consider just how many ASOIAF characters there are, that encyclopedia is going to be enormous.