GRRM Updates Fans on Multiple Projects

Westeros

1 minute ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

Have GRRM and I become telepathically linked? I recently started saying how I’d prefer if he prioritized DnE, and this blog post makes me think he might be :stunned:

I will happily buy the new FnB just for the illustrations. 

That GRRM is talking about FnB II makes me think that a) he probably realized it’s going to be longer than just two books, and b) HBO probably wants to look into making spin-offs for the post-Dance period. I love FnB, so fingers crossed for the next book!

When you consider just how many ASOIAF characters there are, that encyclopedia is going to be enormous.

Can GRRM publish F&B 2 without spoiling D&E? I think the 200 pages he mentioned are D&E stuff he wrote to help the show runner, and we won't see F&B 2 not until D&E is done. 

Hopefully the new show nudges GRRM to wrap up the two stories he partially wrote years ago.

@$erPounce

Other than one or two trivial details George clarified for us, IIRC, the main "new lore" is that all dragons are depicted based on the official and unpublished list of dragons and their respective colors. We are not publishing the list, it was used solely to give direction to the artists for how each dragon should look.

2 hours ago, sifth said:

So basically nothing new. GRRM is working on all these projects, and aside from the up coming tv show, non of them are near completion. That's all I got out of that article.

me too ... :wacko:

I wonder what the Who and Who book is gonna be.. I mean , if it's just the app info , it's not exactly .. exciting (sorry for saying that) 

13 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

Have GRRM and I become telepathically linked? I recently started saying how I’d prefer if he prioritized DnE, and this blog post makes me think he might be :stunned:

how about sending him some Winds of Winter positive energy then , Bard?:bang:

25 minutes ago, Ran said:

@$erPounce

Other than one or two trivial details George clarified for us, IIRC, the main "new lore" is that all dragons are depicted based on the official and unpublished list of dragons and their respective colors. We are not publishing the list, it was used solely to give direction to the artists for how each dragon should look.

But you know all the colors now? Even for Vermax, Arrax, Morghul, Shrykos?

17 minutes ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

As far as I know, GRRM hasn't written much about Yi Ti. Does that mean that The Golden Empire is a completely original idea, or is it based on some notes of his?

There was actually a few thousand words GRRM wrote for Yi Ti that got cut from the World book due to length.

1 hour ago, GuestRights said:

Can GRRM publish F&B 2 without spoiling D&E? I think the 200 pages he mentioned are D&E stuff he wrote to help the show runner, and we won't see F&B 2 not until D&E is done. 

Hopefully the new show nudges GRRM to wrap up the two stories he partially wrote years ago.

I think 136-209 is the smartest move for F&BII. It allows him to cover 75 more years while still not spoiling any D&E stories. Also, while the page to time ratio could be lopsided in the first volume (Aegon I's reign after the First Dornish War is covered in a few pages; the first dozen years of Jaehaerys' reign vs. the rest) Martin was pretty good at having the pace match what was narratively intersting. But when you think about how much gets teed up at the end of F&BI plus the things we know Martin could write a lot about over the next 75 years (the Conquest of Dorne, the reign of the Unworthy, the First Blackfyre Rebellion, all the crazy shit going on with the Starks in the second half of the second century), it seems pretty clear that there's no way he could do this all in one more volume. Unless of course he skimps on the 209-283 period in favor of D&E stories, but that kind of defeats the in-world premise of it being a complete history of the Targaryens. 

He has kind of made an interesting challenge for himself, telling the same story via multiple perspectives and series of books. I'm curious to see what his solution is. 

4 hours ago, zionius said:

Is the new F&B edition (beside two TV tie-ins) to be published this year, as GRRM says? I haven't found any info in edelweiss and amazon.

Yes. More information to come, not sure ready to announce the specific date.

9 hours ago, Black of Hair and Heart said:

I think 136-209 is the smartest move for F&BII. It allows him to cover 75 more years while still not spoiling any D&E stories.

I think that the fact that he is considering to name the second volume Blood & Fire is a big clue suggesting that he doesn't plan to do that.

10 hours ago, Ran said:

Yes.

That's very cool.

Since Martin was fine with Amok sharing his character descriptions for the Targaryen portraits, and he has allowed other artists to make his guidelines public, do you think that you could share with us Martin's notes on the dragons that we have already seen depicted in officially licensed art?

28 minutes ago, The hairy bear said:

Since Martin was fine with Amok sharing his character descriptions for the Targaryen portraits, and he has allowed other artists to make his guidelines public, do you think that you could share with us Martin's notes on the dragons that we have already seen depicted in officially licensed art?

Maybe after the book is published. I don't think we managed to get every single dragon depicted in the course of it, but many of them, anyways.

4 hours ago, The hairy bear said:

I think that the fact that he is considering to name the second volume Blood & Fire is a big clue suggesting that he doesn't plan to do that.

The fact that literally every aspect of this series gets orders of magnitude bigger than Martin initially plans feels like an even bigger clue. :D I'm sure he'll change his tune when he hits 1000 MS pages in Blood & Fire and he's still writing about Aegon the Unworthy. 

1 hour ago, Black of Hair and Heart said:

The fact that literally every aspect of this series gets orders of magnitude bigger than Martin initially plans feels like an even bigger clue. :D I'm sure he'll change his tune when he hits 1000 MS pages in Blood & Fire and he's still writing about Aegon the Unworthy. 

That’s what I was thinking too. He apparently considered writing a book just about Aegon IV at one point (which was presumably enveloped by FnB). I find it very like that FnB will be a trilogy, with the second volume ending somewhere around Aegon IV’s death. The DnE novellas will probably keep getting longer too.

1 hour ago, Black of Hair and Heart said:

it does sound like him to write 1000 pages and doesn't get passed Aegon Lusty Unworthy . not to mention , without a third book he'll have to include Aerys II's reign , Robert's rebellion and Harrenhall in detail , too.  

however , if he wants to call the second book Blood and Fire instead of Fire and Blood 2 , what will he call the third books? Flood? besides, Blood and Fire being the inverse of Targaryen words might suggest the end of their dynasty..

now, I'm lost again! @Ran can you tell us if there will be a third F&B book?

55 minutes ago, EggBlue said:

it does sound like him to write 1000 pages and doesn't get passed Aegon Lusty Unworthy . not to mention , without a third book he'll have to include Aerys II's reign , Robert's rebellion and Harrenhall in detail , too.  

however , if he wants to call the second book Blood and Fire instead of Fire and Blood 2 , what will he call the third books? Flood? besides, Blood and Fire being the inverse of Targaryen words might suggest the end of their dynasty..

now, I'm lost again! @Ran can you tell us if there will be a third F&B book?

To be honest, I think Blood and Fire would be kind of confusing to consumers. They’d be better off with numbers.

I've always said that three volumes of 'Fire and Blood' would make the most sense, especially since Dunk & Egg should be continued in novella form without a history book spoiling key details of the reigns of Aerys I to Aegon V.

The obvious way to go would be to have FaB II cover the reign of Aegon III up to the Great Spring Sickness or, perhaps, all the way to the end of the Second Blackfyre Rebellion. That would definitely be sufficient material for an entire history book especially if George were to take his time with the key events of that era, namely the Conquest of Dorne, the weird exploits of Baelor the Blessed, the colorful biography of Aegon IV (the book could cover his entire life in detail, not just his twelve-year reign), and the First Blackfyre Rebellion.

The reign of Aegon III should also be covered in great detail considering how detailed the account of the Regency was. And we later would also want to have an in-depth take on Elaena Targaryen's adventures as well as the relationship and character of Myriah and Maron Martell.

Everything taking place after 212 AC could be part of the third volume - which would make sense if George is actually writing more novellas sooner rather than later - something that would make sense if the Dunk & Egg show is moving forward.

2 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

I've always said that three volumes of 'Fire and Blood' would make the most sense, especially since Dunk & Egg should be continued in novella form without a history book spoiling key details of the reigns of Aerys I to Aegon V.

The obvious way to go would be to have FaB II cover the reign of Aegon III up to the Great Spring Sickness or, perhaps, all the way to the end of the Second Blackfyre Rebellion. That would definitely be sufficient material for an entire history book especially if George were to take his time with the key events of that era, namely the Conquest of Dorne, the weird exploits of Baelor the Blessed, the colorful biography of Aegon IV (the book could cover his entire life in detail, not just his twelve-year reign), and the First Blackfyre Rebellion.

The reign of Aegon III should also be covered in great detail considering how detailed the account of the Regency was. And we later would also want to have an in-depth take on Elaena Targaryen's adventures as well as the relationship and character of Myriah and Maron Martell.

Everything taking place after 212 AC could be part of the third volume - which would make sense if George is actually writing more novellas sooner rather than later - something that would make sense if the Dunk & Egg show is moving forward.

I think it would probably end with Aegon IV’s death, since GRRM seems to be deliberately sprinkling details about the first Blackfyre Rebellion throughout DnE. For instance, we still don’t know who Quickfinger was, the story behind Lord Lothson’s betrayal, etc. Those will probably come up in future stories, just like how Fireball’s death was explained in The Mystery Knight after first being mentioned in The Sworn Sword.