GRRM Updates Fans on Multiple Projects

Westeros

As far as the shows go, I wish they’d make an Ironborn pirate show. Instead we’re getting sailing shows about Corlys Velaryon and Nymeria, which are. . . odd choices, in my opinion. With Nymeria, I think HBO is probably desperate to capture the pop culture phenomenon that was Daenerys Targaryen, this time with a happier ending. I fear it is all in vain, however. You can’t catch lightning in a bottle twice, and the pop-feminist moment of the 2010s has passed.*

*Which reminds me of a funny video that Ryan Long (Canadian comedian) made, if anyone wants a laugh: https://youtu.be/wEFgreHjs8E

(And yes, I realize that Nymeria isn’t technically white. Still funny).

1 hour ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

As far as the shows go, I wish they’d make an Ironborn pirate show. Instead we’re getting sailing shows about Corlys Velaryon and Nymeria, which are. . . odd choices, in my opinion. With Nymeria, I think HBO is probably desperate to capture the pop culture phenomenon that was Daenerys Targaryen, this time with a happier ending. I fear it is all in vain, however. You can’t catch lightning in a bottle twice, and the pop-feminist moment of the 2010s has passed.*

*Which reminds me of a funny video that Ryan Long (Canadian comedian) made, if anyone wants a laugh: https://youtu.be/wEFgreHjs8E

(And yes, I realize that Nymeria isn’t technically white. Still funny).

Need I remind everyone that a Nymeria show is also a "Valyria at its height" show? Battle of Volantis has THREE HUNDRED dragons in it.

13 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

I think it would probably end with Aegon IV’s death, since GRRM seems to be deliberately sprinkling details about the first Blackfyre Rebellion throughout DnE. For instance, we still don’t know who Quickfinger was, the story behind Lord Lothson’s betrayal, etc. Those will probably come up in future stories, just like how Fireball’s death was explained in The Mystery Knight after first being mentioned in The Sworn Sword.

I'd not count on it that the future Dunk & Egg stories bother much with details on the Blackfyre Rebellion. As time progresses, folks participating in that war should be fewer and fewer and people should be more concerned with more recent events. The big Blackfyre Rebellion story is TSS ... but that's because one of the main characters is an old guy whose allegiance during the Blackfyre Rebellion is a crucial plot point. Fireball is of equal importance in TMK because an alleged son of his play a pivotal role in that story.

I also think that the stories could be better if George had to give less general background details in the novellas.

But, of course, I could see George ending a second volume earlier if he were to get to about 1,000 pages before reaching the First Blackfyre Rebellion or the death of Daeron II. But conceptually I think he could easily go all the way to the Second Blackfyre Rebellion because it is after that particular event that forthcoming Dunk & Egg stories will take place.

George would also not have to go into the minutiae of the First Blackfyre Rebellion if he were intending to reveal certain details about events or characters only in specific Dunk & Egg stories. FaB Vol. 2 should focus mainly on the Targaryens and Blackfyres (and Bittersteel & Bloodraven) and their intentions, motivations, actions, etc., not so much on what every general and captain in their employ did.

Dunk & Egg are not particularly likely to flesh out Daeron the Good or Daemon Blackfyre in great detail. They are already dead, and I don't think we are going to get another monologue about Daemon of the sort Eustace Osgrey gave. Daeron II could come up in greater detail if Egg, his siblings, Aerys I, or Maekar ever talk in greater detail about their (grand)father, but the way to tell about his reign is the history book, not Dunk & Egg.

I noticed the Tourney of Harrenhal play wasn’t mentioned here. Perhaps it’s stalled?

Something I do find striking is that George still hasn’t indicated that the series is going to be longer than seven books. Maybe he just thinks that would be more bad news, but I am very curious as to how he plans on fitting the rest of the story into only two more books.

1 hour ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

Something I do find striking is that George still hasn’t indicated that the series is going to be longer than seven books.

I mean, the series can't be longer than seven books if we don't get volumes 6 and 7.

Edited by Takiedevushkikakzvezdy

This article in Japanese is intriguing (use auto-translate):

https://popposblog.com/grrm-prequel-title/

An article in Japanese, reacting to the possibility that a "Golden Empire of Yi Ti" show would introduce this fantasy world's analogue of Asia, and it points out it's mostly based on the World of Ice and Fire...

...and it states there is no Japanese-language translation of The World of Ice & Fire?

What languages has The World of Ice & Fire officially been translated into?

5 hours ago, The Dragon Demands said:

This article in Japanese is intriguing (use auto-translate):

https://popposblog.com/grrm-prequel-title/

An article in Japanese, reacting to the possibility that a "Golden Empire of Yi Ti" show would introduce this fantasy world's analogue of Asia, and it points out it's mostly based on the World of Ice and Fire...

...and it states there is no Japanese-language translation of The World of Ice & Fire?

What languages has The World of Ice & Fire officially been translated into?

I thought the reason they took out the ink-stained Summerhall page in TWOIAF was because of the Japanese publishers?

Oh my god. This man has completely lost the plot. So much for finishing Winds before starting Fire and Blood part 2, or his promises to stay focused on Winds vs. other projects.

I've felt for a long time that while the series itself might never get finished, since it would realistically take 8-9 books total, Winds was guaranteed to be published at some point. Now I'm not so sure. I wish I could go back in time and tell my 16 year old self that if I read A Feast for Crows, I'd be waiting 17 years+ - more than double my life at that point - for its cliffhangers to be resolved. And I wish GRRM would just hire a ghostwriter and be done with it.

People online are really upset about this blog post, more so than I’ve ever seen from book fans (the closest probably being Sansa’s season five plot). I think this post drove home the likelihood that we won’t be getting Winds, but George’s tone seems to be what’s really setting people off. I generally find him pretty amiable, but he does sound pretty resentful here, considering that it’s been almost eleven years since AFWD came out. 

There’s the evergreen argument that GRRM doesn’t owe us anything, and while I can agree in theory, unless you’re sending him angry emails, I don’t think there’s anything wrong with fans being disappointed and discussing that disappointment among themselves. These are spaces specifically designed for fans, after all.

57 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

People online are really upset about this blog post, more so than I’ve ever seen from book fans (the closest probably being Sansa’s season five plot). I think this post drove home the likelihood that we won’t be getting Winds, but George’s tone seems to be what’s really setting people off. I generally find him pretty amiable, but he does sound pretty resentful here, considering that it’s been almost eleven years since AFWD came out. 

There’s the evergreen argument that GRRM doesn’t owe us anything, and while I can agree in theory, unless you’re sending him angry emails, I don’t think there’s anything wrong with fans being disappointed and discussing that disappointment among themselves. These are spaces specifically designed for fans, after all.

He made a very angry post when people were nagging him about ADWD in 2009. The latest one seems to be fairly mild in comparison.

https://grrm.livejournal.com/75053.html

Edited by Takiedevushkikakzvezdy

3 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

It’s not fair to leave us with cliff-hangers that never get resolved.

2 hours ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

He made a very angry post when people were nagging him about ADWD in 2009. The latest one seems to be fairly mild in comparison.

https://grrm.livejournal.com/75053.html

I can understand being angry when the last book came out only three years earlier. 10.5 years, though. . . 

4 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

I can understand being angry when the last book came out only three years earlier. 10.5 years, though. . . 

I think he feel like people will be angry at him no matter what he says, so he wants to avoid talking about Winds entirely.