GRRM Updates Fans on Multiple Projects

Westeros

I can't decide if it's great or crazy that anyone is still interested in Westeros related stuff when the author appears on track to never finish ASOIAF, and may not even get Winds out.  This for me has killed interest in faux histories, encyclopedias, art books, calendars, novellas and other side stories like D&E whose characters are also left somewhat in limbo.  

Edited by Cas Stark

I recently posted a list on the r/pureasoiaf Discord server of what projects George is working on or involved with. Can some please check that I haven't forgotten something or got something wrong?

Projects of which George is the sole writer:
- The Winds of Winter
- Fire & Blood Volume 2/Blood and Fire
- Dunk & Egg Book 4 (provisionally named “The She-Wolves of Winterfell”)
- Dunk & Egg Book 5 (Provisionally named “The Village Hero”)
TV/film projects and stage play projects, all of which George is probably closely involved with:
- House of the Dragon (HBO)
- A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms/The Hedge Knight (HBO)
- The Sea Snake (HBO)
- Ten Thousand Ships (HBO)
- Yi TI TV Project (provisionally named The Golden Empire) (HBO)
- Multiple animated shows in the world of ASOIAF
- Wild Cards TV Project (UCP/Peacock)
- Sandkings TV Project (Netflix)
-  The Ice Dragon Movie Project (Warners Animation Group)
-  Roadmarks TV Project (HBO)
-  In the Lost Lands Movie Project
- Tuf Voyaging TV Project (HBO)
- Who Fears Death TV Project (HBO)
- Friends Forever Short Film Project
- Dark Winds TV Project (AMC)
- Harrenhall: A Song of Ice and Fire Stage Play
Projects in which George is very minimally involved:
-    Wild Cards book series
- Wild Cards Comic Book Project (Marvel)
-    Condensed version of Fire & Blood
-    “Who’s who in Westeros”

31 minutes ago, $erPounce said:

I recently posted a list on the r/pureasoiaf Discord server of what projects George is working on or involved with. Can some please check that I haven't forgotten something or got something wrong?

- The Winds of Winter
TV/film projects and stage play projects, all of which George is probably closely involved with:
- The Sea Snake (HBO)

unfortunately, I personally only care about the first 4 ,while George seems to be preoccupied with the other 20 ... no wonder he said "I am sorry for you"   

2 hours ago, $erPounce said:

- The Winds of Winter
- The Sea Snake (HBO)

Thanks for this. GRRM certainly isn’t lazy: he clearly loves working and staying busy. Whatever went wrong with Winds was something different—perfectionism, too much pressure, maybe even just boredom at this point. I’ve also considered that TWOW might just be too grim for him now.

The thing is, I’d actually be okay with waiting a decade for a book if I knew for sure we were going to get it. I think a lot of fans would, judging by how the online communities have managed to stay alive. It’s the open-ended uncertainty that drives you crazy. 

2 hours ago, $erPounce said:

People often overstate the amount of time GRRM spends on Wild Cards but I am sure he wouldn't agree that he is "very minimally" involved in them.

On the other hand, while the film/TV list is long, I imagine its only the aSoIaF shows that are taking up a significant amount of time.  And at that, I imagine the actively developed series (HotD) took up the most time.

20 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

I can't decide if it's great or crazy that anyone is still interested in Westeros related stuff when the author appears on track to never finish ASOIAF, and may not even get Winds out.  This for me has killed interest in faux histories, encyclopedias, art books, calendars, novellas and other side stories like D&E whose characters are also left somewhat in limbo.  

If something killed my interest in the continuation of ASoIaF it was GOT.

That said - for me, personally, the history of the world started to play a larger role pretty early. Politically, the historical Targaryens are more interesting than the bland youths Daenerys Targaryen and Jon Snow (not to mention the lad Aegon, who is blander still). And that goes equally for the Starks. I mean, I love Arya and Sansa and Bran - but they are children. In the larger setting there would be truly adult Starks, men and women, fathers and mothers, grandfathers and grandmothers.

But somehow we always get stuck with young teenagers ... just like during the Dance, as it happens.

I certainly am interested in the grand finale, want to know more about the Children and the Others and how exactly the prophecy and 'the savior' work out - and of course also the final fate of many of the main characters.

But I must say that the political conflict in ASoIaF never much interested me. I always wanted to skip ahead to the War for the Dawn or at least the Targaryen restoration plot. The other plotlines are interesting, but Robb and Tywin were just a diversion.

18 hours ago, $erPounce said:

- The Winds of Winter
- The Sea Snake (HBO)

I think the whole show stuff shouldn't take that much time from his writing time. He isn't writing or actively developing, others do that for him and he reads and comments on that stuff. That can be done reasonably fast.

Honestly, I think George running a cinema might eat up more of his time than consulting with studio executives and developers.

If George were heavily involved he would - and should - have written a number of scripts for House of the Dragon, perhaps even running the show himself. After the success of GOT he certainly could have had a more active hand in all the successor show projects. That is the really heavy-lifting. But he didn't do that - just as he stopped writing scripts for GOT ... although the reason there might have indeed more to do do with the direction the show took than his limited timetable.

In fact, the actual tragedy is that ASoIaF is not yet finished because that means George cannot be deeply involved in any of the other shows ... or come up with a completely new setting for another show, or finish Black and White and Red All Over, etc.

16 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

The thing is, I’d actually be okay with waiting a decade for a book if I knew for sure we were going to get it. I think a lot of fans would, judging by how the online communities have managed to stay alive. It’s the open-ended uncertainty that drives you crazy. 

The last couple of years I went through a pretty big process to track down and collect all of George's short fiction ... and what you learn just from reading Dreamsongs is that the guy rarely finished anything aside from novels and short stories which were intended to be standalone works.

There are quite a few aborted series in his earlier works, and while he fleshed out the Thousands Worlds setting for quite some time, the picture is hardly that of a finished fictional universe.

Even stories like 'Sandkings' and 'The Skin Trade' were supposed to be first installments in a series (a fact that actually harmed the ending of the latter, since the protagonist survived), and Haviland Tuf got at least a couple of pretty good novellas - but, alas, no proper ending.

If I had known about that trend of postponed endings, I'd have never picked up AGoT. Just as I've so far not picked up The Name of the Wind.

Edited by Lord Varys

2 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

That said - for me, personally, the history of the world started to play a larger role pretty early. Politically, the historical Targaryens are more interesting than the bland youths Daenerys Targaryen and Jon Snow (not to mention the lad Aegon, who is blander still). And that goes equally for the Starks. I mean, I love Arya and Sansa and Bran - but they are children. In the larger setting there would be truly adult Starks, men and women, fathers and mothers, grandfathers and grandmothers.

But somehow we always get stuck with young teenagers ... just like during the Dance, as it happens.

I certainly am interested in the grand finale, want to know more about the Children and the Others and how exactly the prophecy and 'the savior' work out - and of course also the final fate of many of the main characters.

But I must say that the political conflict in ASoIaF never much interested me. I always wanted to skip ahead or at least to the War for the Dawn or at least the Targaryen restoration plot. The other plotlines are interesting, but Robb and Tywin were just a diversion.

I think the whole show stuff shouldn't take that much time from his writing time. He isn't writing or actively developing, others do that for him and he reads and comments on that stuff. That can be done reasonably fast.

Honestly, I think George running a cinema might eat up more of his time than consulting with studio executives and developers.

If George were heavily involved he would - and should - have written a number of scripts for House of the Dragon, perhaps even running the show himself. After the success of GOT he certainly could have had a more active hand in all the successor show projects. That is the really heavy-lifting. But he didn't do that - just as he stopped writing single scripts for GOT ... although the reason there might have indeed more to do do with the direction the show took than his limited timetable.

In fact, the actual tragedy is that ASoIaF is not yet finished because that means George cannot be deeply involved in any of the other shows ... or come up with a completely new setting for another show, or finish Black and White and Red All Over, etc.

The last couple of years I went through a pretty big process to track down and collect all of George's short fiction ... and what you learn just from reading Dreamsongs is that the guy rarely finished anything aside from novels and short stories which were intended to be standalone works.

There are quite a few aborted series in his earlier works, and while fleshed out the Thousands Worlds setting for quite some time, the picture is hardly that a finished fictional universe.

Even stories like 'Sandkings' and 'The Skin Trade' were supposed to be first installments of a series (a fact that actually harmed the ending of the latter, since the protagonist survived), and Haviland Tuf got at least a couple of pretty good novellas - but, alas, no proper ending.

If I had known about that trend of postponed endings, I'd have never picked up AGoT. Just as I've so far not picked up The Name of the Wind.

Oof. Well, if he’s able to at least finish novellas, then hopefully DnE still has a chance.

I also haven’t picked up The Kingkiller Chronicles for that reason. My problem though is that I mostly read histories. That’s what interests me, and when I do occasionally read fantasy, it’s usually the urban/supernatural variety. I tried reading LOTR but couldn’t get into it. So I haven’t felt inclined to read other high fantasy series because that’s not really what I’m reading ASOIAF for. It’s these characters in this universe that have me hooked.

9 hours ago, $erPounce said:

Sandkings is a movie directed by Gore Verbinski. We don't know who's developing Tuf Voyaging TV. There're also Tuf Voyaging comic by Raya, NIGHT OF THE COOTERS and other short films, pitches of other fantasy TVs, theater, book shop, stage coach, writing class, Meow Wolf, railroad, library tower, etc.

12 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

Thanks for this. GRRM certainly isn’t lazy: he clearly loves working and staying busy. Whatever went wrong with Winds was something different—perfectionism, too much pressure, maybe even just boredom at this point. I’ve also considered that TWOW might just be too grim for him now.

Yeah, I just hope that Winds doesn't become the fantasy equivalent of Half Life 3.

On 3/12/2022 at 7:58 PM, The Bard of Banefort said:

We seem to have collectively left the denial stage of grief and moved on to anger. Bargaining’s next, right? “We can live without ADOS, all we need is Winds!” Oy vey. 

LOL  I passed the bargaining one about getting Winds and living without ADOS a long time ago.  No doubt, I'd like to get Winds, I had come to acceptance I won't get Dream, basically.....but now, I think I've back tracked to just about accepting (believing and being ok with) not even getting Winds at this point.  I do, I do, I don't I don't.  

23 hours ago, Padraig said:

People often overstate the amount of time GRRM spends on Wild Cards but I am sure he wouldn't agree that he is "very minimally" involved in them.

On the other hand, while the film/TV list is long, I imagine its only the aSoIaF shows that are taking up a significant amount of time.  And at that, I imagine the actively developed series (HotD) took up the most time.

Well, kudos to you for remaining optimistic. :)

2 hours ago, Lady Fevre Dream said:

LOL  I passed the bargaining one about getting Winds and living without ADOS a long time ago.  No doubt, I'd like to get Winds, I had come to acceptance I won't get Dream, basically.....but now, I think I've back tracked to just about accepting (believing and being ok with) not even getting Winds at this point.  I do, I do, I don't I don't.  

Yeah me too.  I'm fine with it.  I didn't love much of the developments that happened in Winds, didn't love most of the sample chapters either content or writing, with some exceptions, didn't love the admittedly bastardized GOT ending, and in fact, have not loved the story itself, again with some exceptions, since Storm of Swords.  It's a shame, and to me, it's crazy on some level that he would work on anything else at this point until he finishes Winds. But, so be it.

On 3/15/2022 at 1:19 AM, Lord Varys said:

But I must say that the political conflict in ASoIaF never much interested me. I always wanted to skip ahead to the War for the Dawn or at least the Targaryen restoration plot. The other plotlines are interesting, but Robb and Tywin were just a diversion.

If George were heavily involved he would - and should - have written a number of scripts for House of the Dragon, perhaps even running the show himself. After the success of GOT he certainly could have had a more active hand in all the successor show projects. That is the really heavy-lifting. But he didn't do that - just as he stopped writing scripts for GOT ... although the reason there might have indeed more to do do with the direction the show took than his limited timetable.

There are quite a few aborted series in his earlier works, and while he fleshed out the Thousands Worlds setting for quite some time, the picture is hardly that of a finished fictional universe.

Even stories like 'Sandkings' and 'The Skin Trade' were supposed to be first installments in a series (a fact that actually harmed the ending of the latter, since the protagonist survived), and Haviland Tuf got at least a couple of pretty good novellas - but, alas, no proper ending.

I don't know if I would.,

I certainly would not have bought DVD's of the Show, had I any idea how it would finish up.

20 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

Yeah me too.  I'm fine with it.  I didn't love much of the developments that happened in Winds, didn't love most of the sample chapters either content or writing, with some exceptions, didn't love the admittedly bastardized GOT ending, and in fact, have not loved the story itself, again with some exceptions, since Storm of Swords.  It's a shame, and I  it.

HI!!  I saw you post a couple times and was going to say HI, but I've had a crazy few weeks and thought I might not do it justice......but:  HELLO!!  

It is a damn shame.  The funny thing is.....I can forget about the show, for the most part, remember how I do love so many characters, would like some answers, some resolution, but also:  I do wonder if I'm better off without it, HA  What limbo would be worse:  Limbo now, or limbo after Winds?  I think that's where I'm at, and ck worry about being left in limbo after Winds.....when I'm okay now, is maybe the only thing that makes me think we MIGHT get Winds, someday.  Murphy's Law and all.  

I just think it's best to look at it this way.  I get something I do, I don't..then I don't.  I certainly can't do anything about it, right?  

(Luckily, I backbuttoned out of your quotes, not my response.  Sorry about that)

17 hours ago, SeanF said:

I don't know if I would.,

I certainly would not have bought DVD's of the Show, had I any idea how it would finish up.

This gets back to the question of GRRM’s legacy, and whether future generations will continue to pick up ASOIAF. Are there any other series that have been left unfinished like that? I know Wheel of Time was originally, but it was finished by another author, and George has been pretty adamantly against having a successor.

That said, I suspect many fanfic writers are going to start writing their own versions of TWOW and ADOS now, to the extend that they haven’t already.

15 hours ago, Lady Fevre Dream said:

HI!!  I saw you post a couple times and was going to say HI, but I've had a crazy few weeks and thought I might not do it justice......but:  HELLO!!  

It is a damn shame.  The funny thing is.....I can forget about the show, for the most part, remember how I do love so many characters, would like some answers, some resolution, but also:  I do wonder if I'm better off without it, HA  What limbo would be worse:  Limbo now, or limbo after Winds?  I think that's where I'm at, and ck worry about being left in limbo after Winds.....when I'm okay now, is maybe the only thing that makes me think we MIGHT get Winds, someday.  Murphy's Law and all.  

I just think it's best to look at it this way.  I get something I do, I don't..then I don't.  I certainly can't do anything about it, right?  

(Luckily, I backbuttoned out of your quotes, not my response.  Sorry about that)

Hey!!  You know, all of this stuff has been litigated to death.  How he got stuck, the Starks were too young, needed the story to jump a few years and started expanding the characters....which created a huge muddle that he hasn't and at this point, probably never will recover from.  I don't ever need to read about Summer's death or Dany getting her dragons killed.  I'm over it. I only want Winds if the story is ended by the author.  Otherwise, I am happy to leave it with my own ideas of how the Stark restoration will go, that includes no more wolf deaths and no more Stark children deaths.  And so on.

I've said this before, but even IF, which is now a big if, Winds does come out, I don't think I will read it.  The show showed me how depressing most of it is, and I don't need that, without any expectation of a pay off.  But, I don't think he'll finish Winds, if he didn't finish it during the pandemic, I can't see how he ever does.

2 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

Hey!!  You know, all of this stuff has been litigated to death.  How he got stuck, the Starks were too young, needed the story to jump a few years and started expanding the characters....which created a huge muddle that he hasn't and at this point, probably never will recover from.  I don't ever need to read about Summer's death or Dany getting her dragons killed.  I'm over it. I only want Winds if the story is ended by the author.  Otherwise, I am happy to leave it with my own ideas of how the Stark restoration will go, that includes no more wolf deaths and no more Stark children deaths.  And so on.

I've said this before, but even IF, which is now a big if, Winds does come out, I don't think I will read it.  The show showed me how depressing most of it is, and I don't need that, without any expectation of a pay off.  But, I don't think he'll finish Winds, if he didn't finish it during the pandemic, I can't see how he ever does.

A lot of people seem to be coming around to a similar conclusion. The show managed to kill a lot of enthusiasm, in a way that’s fairly unprecedented.

15 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

A lot of people seem to be coming around to a similar conclusion. The show managed to kill a lot of enthusiasm, in a way that’s fairly unprecedented.

A good way to create enthusiasm for all these new projects would be... releasing a book called The Winds of Winter. If only someone would pitch George that idea. :rolleyes: