GRRM Updates Fans on Multiple Projects

Westeros

The Sea Snake show sounds interesting a lot of Essos really lends itself to an adventure story.

I really really hope one of the animated series is set in one of the free cities, I'd love something like Aryas chapters that just explores one if them inside and out could be Braavos could be another but I really like the idea of a more narrow city focused story. 

George wrote this is his blog post from yesterday:

The other book mentioned in that post of 3/9, the Who's Who of Westeros, is coming as well, but not this fall. That one is a way off. Might be a year or two. Lot of work to be done. (As my editors complain, it is hard to inventing characters).

I’m guessing that this is only going to include characters from the published books, so wouldn’t they already have all they need for established characters by now? Unless he’s planning on publishing new material sometime within the next year?

18 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

I’m guessing that this is only going to include characters from the published books, so wouldn’t they already have all they need for established characters by now? Unless he’s planning on publishing new material sometime within the next year?

WINDS characters would be my guess. Plus Ran said they can't comment on whether the scope of the Who's Who book will encompass WINDS or not (that's a dead giveaway in my book; if it doesn't, then it's an easy no).

Edited by GuestRights

56 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

a couple of months ago , I would have taken that as a sign of getting a little bit closer to either Winds ,FnB2 or DnE ... but I am in a highly pessimistic mood and my best guess is that he is inventing fates for some side characters; characters like half Tyroshi daughter of Rogar's exiled brother .( which I do appreciate , but not as much as main books) 

Edited by EggBlue

21 minutes ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

Since he's talking about inventing charaters, I guess they will be completely new ones that have never been mentioned before?

The thing is he's not done. He keeps adding characters up to the last chapter. WINDS sample chapters include new characters that never appeared in any of the other books.

1 hour ago, GuestRights said:

WINDS characters would be my guess. Plus Ran said they can't comment on whether the scope of the Who's Who book will encompass WINDS or not (that's a dead giveaway in my book; if it doesn't, then it's an easy no).

Ooh interesting. Where did Ran say that?

Granted, if it includes historical characters, then it could mean FnB2 is on the horizon.

44 minutes ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

Reddit is going nuts over the interview @Ran and Linda did with a Spanish Youtube channel. I might be wrong, but it seems most of it was speculation, and not actual spoilers?

Oh, my goodness, I was just coming here to ask about that hahaha. 

I noticed the interview is from January, so I’m curious if they feel differently about FnB not coming out until after the series ends now, since the blog post that this thread is about made it sound like he plans on releasing it sooner than that.

The person who posted it has not done a great job of translating. Moreover, yes, much of what we discussed were our own theories, opinions, and views -- a detail the person really failed to convey.

Same thing happened with an AMA we did on Reddit years ago. We started sharing opinions and people got in a tizzy about it thinking they were spoilers until we clarified that of course they're our opinions.

Edited by Ran
Phone typos

On 3/17/2022 at 5:41 PM, The Bard of Banefort said:

A lot of people seem to be coming around to a similar conclusion. The show managed to kill a lot of enthusiasm, in a way that’s fairly unprecedented.

If the book series were completed, and were to finish similarly to the show, I’d take the view that the author had been trolling us over several decades.  So, yes, I’d probably consider it better the series should not be finished.

If, on the other hand, the author has worked out a satisfying ending, it would be a real shame if we never get it.

4 hours ago, SeanF said:

If the book series were completed, and were to finish similarly to the show, I’d take the view that the author had been trolling us over several decades.

I believe he just thought it was a cool and subversive idea, but one that doesn't make sense once you put pen to paper. I think that's one of the main reasons he is struggling with the writing. 

Edited by Takiedevushkikakzvezdy

51 minutes ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

I believe he just thought it was a cool and subversive idea, but one that doesn't make sense once you put pen to paper. I think that's one of the main reasons he is struggling with the writing. 

well, add that to a billion assumptions about why George is struggling! it's a long shot , but I hope George first finishes his books (all the way to Dream and FnB3) and then publishes a book about why it took so long for him to write*. god knows we almost have as much theories about that as we have about book events.

* I just realized that if George does finish the series ,it might be more than 30 years since he started! the only book I can think of that has taken 3 decades to be written is Ferdowsi's Shahnameh which is a Persian poetry book that is known as the book that revived Persian language in a time where Persians had to speak Arabic for generations! 

9 hours ago, Ran said:

The person who posted it has not done a great job of translating. Moreover, yes, much of what we discussed were our own theories, opinions, and views -- a detail the person really failed to convey.

Same thing happened with an AMA we did on Reddit years ago. We started sharing opinions and people got in a tizzy about it thinking they were spoilers until we clarified that of course they're our opinions.

Would you mind sharing the english version of the chat?