GRRM Updates Fans on Multiple Projects

Westeros

1 hour ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

Would you say that you think FnB2 will probably come out sooner now, judging by George’s blog post?

Yes, probably so, though I admit to not understanding exactly how that will work. I've not asked George about it as of yet.

More generally, I think those watching the interview will understand how the Spanish fan who tried to give a translation really failed to convey that a lot was opinion. And in some places they chose technically okay translations (assuming difficulty with English) but they give a wildly different meaning than what was intended.

For example, "we don't care about HotD" and the implication that it's because they're going to make up a lot of stuff, whereas what we actually said is that we've a lot less expectations for  HotD because it's a much more sketched out story (like a menu for a great meal rather than the meal itself) and there's a lot of different ways to skin the proverbial cat in regards to decisions they're going to ahve to make like how to deal with multiple versions of events, motivations of characters which can only be inferred, etc.

The Dance that we have is great for what it is, fake history, but the show will have to fill in a lot of stuff, magnitudes more than what GoT had to do, and that means it will be very firmly its own thing rather than something that can be directly compared to its source material.

I'm hopeful it's a great show. If it's mediocre, well, so be it -- I can't say, "Well, if they just did it how George did it, it'd have worked a lot better", when there is no "how George did it", unlike with ASoIaF.

Edited by Ran

7 minutes ago, Ran said:

Yes, probably so, though I admit to not understanding exactly how that will work. I've not asked George about it as of yet.

Remember that appearence George had a million years ago where George said it would be six books and Paris was standing behind him holding up seven fingers? Right now I'm standing behind you holding up three. 

4 hours ago, Black of Hair and Heart said:

Remember that appearence George had a million years ago where George said it would be six books and Paris was standing behind him holding up seven fingers? Right now I'm standing behind you holding up three. 

This seems to be the growing consensus. Which is good, because that means he can release the next book without worrying about spoiling DnE, and it gives us more to read. 

16 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

This seems to be the growing consensus. Which is good, because that means he can release the next book without worrying about spoiling DnE, and it gives us more to read. 

The thing is - in addition to myself being pissed that the author would spoil huge parts of Dunk & Egg for me, I'd actually expect him losing motivation/interest in writing more Dunk & Egg novellas if he were writing and subsequently publishing an in-depth and detailed historical account of the reigns of Maekar and Aegon V.

George isn't the kind of author who likes to write (detailed) outlines he then has to turn into detailed chapters. That's not how he writes at all.

Sure enough, there might be a couple of story ideas for minor Dunk & Egg novellas - other stories of the kind of TSS, for instance, the story of Rohanne Webber's disappearance - that wouldn't exactly be central parts of Gyldayn's Targaryen history.

But most crucial events in Dunk & Egg's lives - as well as the lives of Egg's children and other family as well as whatever family Dunk might still have - would fill pages and pages of such a history. It couldn't be any other way.

Thus he should write out the reigns of Aegon III to Daeron II in great detail and only bother with Aerys I to Aerys II if and when Dunk & Egg are completed - or at least mostly completed.

The one great thing about Dunk & Egg was that each novella tells you more tidbits and details about the Westeros of that era - it would spoil all the fun if we knew pretty much everything about the Third Blackfyre Rebellion before reading a hypothetical novella or series of novellas taking place during that war.

6 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

The thing is - in addition to myself being pissed that the author would spoil huge parts of Dunk & Egg for me, I'd actually expect him losing motivation/interest in writing more Dunk & Egg novellas if he were writing and subsequently publishing an in-depth and detailed historical account of the reigns of Maekar and Aegon V.

George isn't the kind of author who likes to write (detailed) outlines he then has to turn into detailed chapters. That's not how he writes at all.

Sure enough, there might be a couple of story ideas for minor Dunk & Egg novellas - other stories of the kind of TSS, for instance, the story of Rohanne Webber's disappearance - that wouldn't exactly be central parts of Gyldayn's Targaryen history.

But most crucial events in Dunk & Egg's lives - as well as the lives of Egg's children and other family as well as whatever family Dunk might still have - would fill pages and pages of such a history. It couldn't be any other way.

Thus he should write out the reigns of Aegon III to Daeron II in great detail and only bother with Aerys I to Aerys II if and when Dunk & Egg are completed - or at least mostly completed.

The one great thing about Dunk & Egg was that each novella tells you more tidbits and details about the Westeros of that era - it would spoil all the fun if we knew pretty much everything about the Third Blackfyre Rebellion before reading a hypothetical novella or series of novellas taking place during that war.

Rohane Webber’s disappearance is something I’d love to get the answer to.  Did she sell her soul to become Lady of Casterly Rock, and the infernal powers claimed their due?  Was it a magical experiment gone wrong?

5 hours ago, SeanF said:

Rohane Webber’s disappearance is something I’d love to get the answer to.  Did she sell her soul to become Lady of Casterly Rock, and the infernal powers claimed their due?  Was it a magical experiment gone wrong?

It'll be interesting to see if there's a similar escalation of magic in the D&E stories the way there is in the main series. The only clear magic I think we see in the three stories so far are Daeron and Daemon's dragon dreams and Bloodraven's glamour. 

Obviously the series will end at Summerhall, and further appearences by Bloodraven might bring some magic as well, but I'm looking forward to seeing if/how Martin works magic into what seems to be a fairly grounded series by design.

7 hours ago, SeanF said:

I never thought magic could have played a role there and find the idea not very convincing. I expect that it is the culmination of whatever continuous Rohanne plot we would get throughout the Dunk & Egg stories (I'd expect to see her again in multiple stories before and after she becomes Lady of Casterly Rock). Something about an enemy they made during the years in-between, a debt Rohanne had to pay causing her to leave her family, something along those lines.

Considering the fact that Gerold Lannister apparently loved Rohanne very much and continued to support Egg at the Great Council and afterwards we either have to assume Dunk & Egg are total asses and never told Gerold what happened to his wife ... or he knows and doesn't blame them for whatever happened to her.

Either way a long night series wouldnt have succeeded. It sounds very depressing and its just ice demons.

House of the Dragon might succeed. It has that intrigue element of GOT. Although I worry they’ll just make it an action fest.

I don’t remember who or where. But I do remember reading a quote from someone that works in hbo. They said something like “This new tv series will have all the dragons you loved and more”. People liked the dragons but it wasnt the sole reason it attracted new viewers.

Edited by The Young Maester

3 minutes ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

But it's very uncommon to completely scrap a project that was this far along. I guess it must have been insanely bad.

Thats the purpose of a pilot. You show it to the big bosses and other professionals that can determine whether it’s good. And if its not they get it cancelled.