GRRM Updates Fans on Multiple Projects

Westeros

19 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

I think DnE has the potential to both bring in new fans and create an enormously passionate fan base. That said, I don’t think it will be anywhere near as big as GOT. It just doesn’t have enough spectacle.

I'm afraid that they will pull a Hobbit by going beyond the existing material and put in a bunch of nonsense to stretch out the runtime.

One big problem with the spin-offs though is that, because the show surpassed the books for the original series, there’s no reason to believe that the same won’t happen with DnE. I’d like to think they’re easier to write, but it has been at least a decade since the last one was released. . .

5 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

One big problem with the spin-offs though is that, because the show surpassed the books for the original series, there’s no reason to believe that the same won’t happen with DnE. I’d like to think they’re easier to write, but it has been at least a decade since the last one was released. . .

IIRC, George said a while ago that there were no plans for a D&E adaptation. I wonder why he changed his mind.

On 3/24/2022 at 11:31 PM, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

But it's very uncommon to completely scrap a project that was this far along. I guess it must have been insanely bad.

Scrapping a show after filming pilot happens numerous times a year. It's nothing unusual.

My suspicion about why the Longest Night pilot was shut down was because it may have had some elements from GoT that people liked (the White Walkers, the North, the Starks, Winterfell) but it lacked a lot of others. I suspect the political intrigue would have been much more pared back, and the setting is a lot more primitive (5,000 years before the events of GoT itself). Also, no dragons. I do wonder if it was envisaged as a 2-3 season project and the new guard at HBO decided it wasn't worthwhile.

There's also the fact that a completely new regime took over HBO after GoT was completed and after the Longest Night pilot was commissioned. It's not uncommon for a new regime to shut down projects from the prior management and clean house for their own projects, of which House of the Dragon seems to have been the preferred option.

24 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

An animated show about Flea Bottom :huh: What would the plot even be?

Probably ruffians knifing each other in alley ways.

My biggest theory is it will be about gangs plus random stories of poor smallfolk trying to live. Im not gonna put much thought into it since i dont really care much about it. But thats what first came to mind.

12 hours ago, The Young Maester said:

Probably ruffians knifing each other in alley ways.

My biggest theory is it will be about gangs plus random stories of poor smallfolk trying to live. Im not gonna put much thought into it since i dont really care much about it. But thats what first came to mind.

Given that the Sea Snake show is about a young Corlys Velaryon, maybe Flea Bottom was supposed to be about a young Davos?

1 hour ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

Given that the Sea Snake show is about a young Corlys Velaryon, maybe Flea Bottom was supposed to be about a young Davos?

So they’re making THREE boat shows then? But they won’t make a pirate show about the Ironborn :bs:

Edited by The Bard of Banefort

I finally got HBO back, and I was looking at their popular/trending titles. GOT is still on there, so maybe it has passed into the realm of being a popular show that people are too embarrassed to admit that they watch. 

Then again, Euphoria is big right now, especially among teen girls, which is the demographic that loves rewatching and analyzing shows, and it’s not trending, so maaaybe HBO puts their thumb on the scale a bit?

Either way, I think that season one of HOTD will do well. After that, all bets are off. But I’m not sure if they’re going to be able to make another Targaryen show after that, at least not for a while. When all the characters have the same names and the same wigs, fatigue is bound to set in.

14 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

I finally got HBO back, and I was looking at their popular/trending titles. GOT is still on there, so maybe it has passed into the realm of being a popular show that people are too embarrassed to admit that they watch. 

The ending of the show was broadly considered a disappointment, but the idea that the show isn't still wildly popular only really exists within the bubble of this site, the subreddit and other places where die-hard book fans congregate. The show is still enormously popular. That's why they're making half a dozen spinoffs. 

10 minutes ago, Black of Hair and Heart said:

The ending of the show was broadly considered a disappointment, but the idea that the show isn't still wildly popular only really exists within the bubble of this site, the subreddit and other places where die-hard book fans congregate. The show is still enormously popular. That's why they're making half a dozen spinoffs. 

The dip in merchandise sales is noteworthy though. I suppose GOT may have gone from being a hit like Stat Wars to a hit like the Sopranos or the West Wing, where lots of people still watch it but there isn’t as much of a “fandom” (T-shirts, mugs, posters, board games, cosplay, etc.) around it anymore. Before season 8, that stuff was everywhere.

35 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

The dip in merchandise sales is noteworthy though. I suppose GOT may have gone from being a hit like Stat Wars to a hit like the Sopranos or the West Wing, where lots of people still watch it but there isn’t as much of a “fandom” (T-shirts, mugs, posters, board games, cosplay, etc.) around it anymore. Before season 8, that stuff was everywhere.

I kind of just think that's how...time works? And people's interest? Like, Breaking Bad was hugely popular during its 2008-2013 run, and people broadly liked the ending. But would you rather have been selling Breaking Bad merch in 2012 during the run up to the finale, or in late 2013 after it was over and all anyone was talking about was the Red Wedding?

Tens of millions of dollars in marketing, press tours by the actors and creators, people speculating on what's going to happen; all of this drives "popularity" or whatever you want to call it, and all of it goes away once a show is over, whether people liked the ending or not. 

Star Wars is an anomaly (or used to be, before they started cranking out new content monthly under Disney) in that it's a once-in-a-lifetime property in terms of popularity. And even that was more or less fashioned by Lucas himself to sell merch, to say nothing of it now being part of the all consuming Disney empire. You can't really use that as a metric for something like this. 

1 hour ago, Black of Hair and Heart said:

I guess the worst thing about the MCU is that it made Hollywood believe that there is no such thing as oversaturation.

Just now, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

I guess the worst thing about the MCU is that it made Hollywood believe that there is no such thing as oversaturation.

For sure. It's almost strange that the whole shared universe approach took as long to take off as it did. But it's perfect for maintaining the level of popularity we're talking about. Now instead of having a hit show or movie where you need to maintain word of mouth/popularity for years until there's a second season or a sequel, you have something adjacent to it to immediately follow it and make sure that people never stop talking about the wider franchise.

Marvel has more or less perfected it now that they have the Disney+ shows. Moon Knight is going to wrap up the week Dr. Strange 2 comes out and I'm sure by then we'll know that Ms. Marvel will be starting in June and wrap just in time for Thor Love and Thunder

HBO will have a tougher time making the same thing with GoT since the different spin-offs aren't set at the same time or directly overlapping, but I don't know that they're necessarily going for the same carpet-bomb approach that Disney does.