GRRM Updates Fans on Multiple Projects

Westeros

I remember seeing an interview that Alicent’s actress did where she implied that there’d be less sexual assault than on GOT, which is a relief. I don’t think the show will be without controversy though. Right now people have their panties in a wad over the Velaryons being Black, but if I know the internet like I think I do, then there are going to be a lot of people angry that the one gay character dies in the first season and that the one Asian woman is a sadistic sex worker.

And of course, there’s the Targaryen queen who is betrayed by everyone, becomes paranoid, and is killed by her male relative. It wouldn’t surprise me if they tweaked this a bit for the show.

Edited by The Bard of Banefort

1 hour ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

I remember seeing an interview that Alicent’s actress did where she implied that there’d be less sexual assault than on GOT, which is a relief.

Yes that show was a bit too much on the sexual content part. I had a work colleague that hadnt watch the show nor read the books and he told me a friend said that a brother rapes his sister in a church. Lol what a way to scare people off.

I heard a rumour that one of the producers was the creep that loved to add these scenes.

1 hour ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

Right now people have their panties in a wad over the Velaryons being Black, but if I know the internet like I think I do, then there are going to be a lot of people angry that the one gay character dies in the first season and that the one Asian woman is a sadistic sex worker.

And of course, there’s the Targaryen queen who is betrayed by everyone, becomes paranoid, and is killed by her male relative. It wouldn’t surprise me if they tweaked this a bit for the show.

Yes they definitely will tweak some things. One of the major ones is the whole Targaryen queen gone mad and killed off in an horrific way. Not to forget at the end she shows a mothers heart (people will see it as portraying a weak woman) when she tries to run and save her only child.

I have always said that I want both factions to be portrayed as evil. Especially in a way that it forces the tv viewer to choose between green or blacks. This path would legit make them more money and generate more viewership.

I know its hard to portray the greens as good guys or at-least support them on some way. But if D&D were able to whitewash Cersei and Tywin fucking Lannister, than im sure this new show can pull it off.

14 minutes ago, The Young Maester said:

Yes that show was a bit too much on the sexual content part. I had a work colleague that hadnt watch the show nor read the books and he told me a friend said that a brother rapes his sister in a church. Lol what a way to scare people off.

I heard a rumour that one of the producers was the creep that loved to add these scenes.

D&D were genuinely surprised the audience correctly identified it as a rape scene. The writing was on the wall with those two for years and we just ignored it. At least I did. 

4 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

Especially the Corlys show has little actual potential for normal story-telling, being basically the story of a guy making nine journeys to the far ends of the world, meaning the core cast can reasonably only Corlys himself and his crew, with family members at home or folks based at places he visits repeatedly (Qarth, say, although I don't want to see the GoT Qarth ever again as I notice while writing this) as recurring or guest characters.

What's crazy is that Bruno Heller the creator of HBO's Rome is heading up that show. Really curious to see what he does with it. 

20 minutes ago, The Young Maester said:

Yes they definitely will tweak some things. One of the major ones is the whole Targaryen queen gone mad and killed off in an horrific way. Not to forget at the end she shows a mothers heart (people will see it as portraying a weak woman) when she tries to run and save her only child.

I have always said that I want both factions to be portrayed as evil. Especially in a way that it forces the tv viewer to choose between green or blacks. This path would legit make them more money and generate more viewership.

I know its hard to portray the greens as good guys or at-least support them on some way. But if D&D were able to whitewash Cersei and Tywin fucking Lannister, than im sure this new show can pull it off.

Yeah, apparently the Battle of the Blackwater director was told to add more nudity to the episode (which George wrote, as it would happen).

I feel like if they make both sides evil the show will end up going full-nihilist. I expect Corlys to be the hero of the show since he “wins” (i.e. survives the war) and since they want to make a prequel about him.

2 minutes ago, Sotan said:

What's crazy is that Bruno Heller the creator of HBO's Rome is heading up that show. Really curious to see what he does with it. 

I trust that Heller can make the show interesting ... although it might still be weird. I'm watching his Pennyworth right now, and I really cannot wrap my head around what this show is supposed to be. It isn't bad, but weird on so many levels.

3 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

I trust that Heller can make the show interesting ... although it might still be weird. I'm watching his Pennyworth right now, and I really cannot wrap my head around what this show is supposed to be. It isn't bad, but weird on so many levels.

Pennyworth is weird! I get the sense it's unintentional. Unlike Raised by Wolves which has taken the WTF Is This? Flag and run with it. 

5 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

Yeah, apparently the Battle of the Blackwater director was told to add more nudity to the episode (which George wrote, as it would happen).

I feel like if they make both sides evil the show will end up going full-nihilist. I expect Corlys to be the hero of the show since he “wins” (i.e. survives the war) and since they want to make a prequel about him.

Or he might just be seen as the opportunistic schemer that he was. But I agree they will make him a hero because of the spin off series. Plus he is black and they  don’t need that criticism atm.

2 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

This is another reason why I think DnE could be a success. Aside from just being a good story, more earnest shows like Stranger Things, Ted Lasso, and Cobra Kai are big now. 

The problem with Dunk & Egg is that Aegon V is, in the end, just another mad monarch and a failure. We know who brings the dragons back, so that part of his quest is a dead end ... as are his reforms, which are nowhere in sight when the council of mobsters and pimps takes over Westeros at the end of GoT.

And I'd also expect that the impression Dany and Jon made in the final seasons of GoT - that of madwoman and boring dude who didn't do anything important - shouldn't really make folks interested in the adventures of their (great-)great-granddad and his pet knight.

That said - anyone who actually read Dunk & Egg might be very interested in a faithful adaptation of the stories so far. They are pretty good, and especially THK has a very interesting twist in the end.

5 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

I hope they stay true to the leaders of the factions Alicent/Aegon and Daemon/Rhaenyra being terrible people. It's the supporting cast especially on team Black that is awesome and the audience will root for. I don't remember thinking Corlys was a main character when I read F&B, but he was listed as one of the five leads way back in Dec 2020 when the casting was announced. So you may be on to something about his characterization.  

2 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

The problem with Dunk & Egg is that Aegon V is, in the end, just another mad monarch and a failure. We know who brings the dragons back, so that part of his quest is a dead end ... as are his reforms, which are nowhere in sight when the council of mobsters and pimps takes over Westeros at the end of GoT.

And I'd also expect that the impression Dany and Jon made in the final seasons of GoT - that of madwoman and boring dude who didn't do anything important - shouldn't really make folks interested in the adventures of their (great-)great-granddad and his pet knight.

That said - anyone who actually read Dunk & Egg might be very interested in a faithful adaptation of the stories so far. They are pretty good, and especially THK has a very interesting twist in the end.

I think they could make the ending bittersweet if they play up Jaehaerys’ spirit and bravery (the world book made it sound like he was able to earn respect for his persistence despite his ailments because of this) and if they write Rhaella as a lovable character. That way, even with DnE dead, J will live to succeed his father and Rhaella and her baby will be saved by Dunk.

1 minute ago, Lord Varys said:

I would love a dunk n egg series. Id prefer it over house of the dragon.

As you said, those that read dunk and egg are more likely to watch it. But your average viewer wont find it as interesting.

4 minutes ago, The Young Maester said:

Or he might just be seen as the opportunistic schemer that he was. But I agree they will make him a hero because of the spin off series. Plus he is black and they  don’t need that criticism atm.

I don't think his race will have anything to do with it. Corlys being an opportunistic schemer who cheats on his wife is still light years better than Daemon and Rhaenyra. In another show Corlys would come off terrible, compared to his former son and daughter in law he's a saint. 

Just now, Sotan said:

I don't think his race will have anything to do with it. Corlys being an opportunistic schemer who cheats on his wife is still light years better than Daemon and Rhaenyra. In another show Corlys would come off terrible, compared to his former son and daughter in law he's a saint. 

Thats very true. Later we will see how people react to corlys. 

3 minutes ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

To be fair, the book scene was weird as well. At least I didn't understand it at all when I read it.

They made it super clear in the show with Cersei resisting saying, "No, its not right, STOP!" and Jamie proceeding to rape her. It's disturbing that they didn't think that was rape. 

6 minutes ago, Sotan said:

I hope they stay true to the leaders of the factions Alicent/Aegon and Daemon/Rhaenyra being terrible people. It's the supporting cast especially on team Black that is awesome and the audience will root for. I don't remember thinking Corlys was a main character when I read F&B, but he was listed as one of the five leads way back in Dec 2020 when the casting was announced. So you may be on to something about his characterization.  

FnB made Rhaenyra more sympathetic than the novellas did. There was less talk about her being spoiled and more instances of her being manipulated (like when Mysaria convinced her that Nettles betrayed her).

2 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

FnB made Rhaenyra more sympathetic than the novellas did. There was less talk about her being spoiled and more instances of her being manipulated (like when Mysaria convinced her that Nettles betrayed her).

You're right. I just think we're culturally primed to dislike women who seek power for themselves. Dany had the whole great emancipator thing going for her, Rhaenyra doesn't even have that.  Now that I think about it, you're probably right they might soften her up in the show. 

1 minute ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

I think they could make the ending bittersweet if they play up Jaehaerys’ spirit and bravery (the world book made it sound like he was able to earn respect for his persistence despite his ailments because of this) and if they write Rhaella as a lovable character. That way, even with DnE dead, J will live to succeed his father and Rhaella and her baby will be saved by Dunk.

Jaehaerys II was cut from the 'show universe', at least the English iteration thereof.

They could still have him as Mad Aerys' elder brother and predecessor, I guess, but if they do not retcon established facts from GoT then Jaehaerys II wouldn't exist in a Dunk & Egg adaptation. And they most definitely would have to make both Aerys II and Rhaella Egg's children ... which can only further reflect badly on Dunk & Egg since they apparently raised one of the worst monsters in Westeros history and were unable to prevent his rise to the Iron Throne.

In the books Aerys is still pretty young when Egg dies ... and he is merely Jaehaerys' heir and Egg is not directly responsible to turn him into a good king.

Just now, The Bard of Banefort said:

In the end, both queens descend into what could be called madness. Rhaenyra because of the Nettles affair, and Alicent for her behavior during the Regency era (trying to force Jaehaera to murder Aegon III, tearing up her clothes).

The only way to make this story work is to make it a tragedy. That works for the reign of Viserys I ... but not so much for the Dance as such which has very little interaction between the different factions.

I do expect them to change Rhaenyra's death scene. If they keep her being eaten by a dragon, I expect Alicent to command this, not Aegon, so that the message isn't 'the rightful king executed the evil pretender' but rather one woman killed the other.

If Aegon is still responsible they change it to Rhaenyra being less impotent/passive in the scene, perhaps by having her return to Dragonstone coincide with Aegon's attack on the castle. It wouldn't surprise me if they even gave they turned the Moondancer vs. Sunfyre battle into Syrax vs. Sunfyre.