GRRM Updates Fans on Multiple Projects

Westeros

On 3/19/2023 at 10:03 PM, Ran said:

That was the initial pitch we had for a book when they wanted us to write something, but then with HBO picking up House of the Dragon the publisher pivoted to our doing Rise of the Dragon. This idea was that It would be an abridged, heavily-illustrated character guide or something like that, was the notion, but admittedly Ten Speed Press had some reservations about that.

So... what I can say is that it's certainly what we think we may end up working on next, right now because of various timelines (TWoW, HotD season 2), it's a topic we'll be revisiting next year. Like, if George gets TWoW out, the character guide might make more sense, or if he also/instead gets the s second volume of F&B, maybe we'll just leap straight into the follow-up to Rise of the Dragon. It would give us a much longer lead time to get together the art for the project, which was a huge pain point towards the end.

Cnsidering that:
1)the authors are considering revisiting the topic next year, depending on George R.R. Martin's progress on The Winds of Winter and a potential second volume of Fire & Blood and
2)this would give them more time to work on the art, which was a difficult aspect of their previous project
Tell me please what are your thoughts on the direction they're taking with this potential book? (I like your visions, please don't consider me an odd for that)

1 hour ago, GZ Bloodraven said:

This might be a futile question, but how long do you think F&B 2 would take?

Hard to say! I will say the Targaryen history that he wrote for TWoIaF, that became F&B (except for the Jaehaerys section, which he wrote fresh for F&B) took maybe a couple of months? Maybe the same for the Jaehaerys material? So in theory I imagine that if George did nothing but write F&B 2, he could get it done in a few months as well. That said, he's clearly not sitting down and just writing F&B 2, so we don't really know when that'll be done, or how it will relate to TWoW being completed.

47 minutes ago, JoffreyBthebest said:

Tell me please what are your thoughts on the direction they're taking with this potential book? (I like your visions, please don't consider me an odd for that)

Who is "they['re]"? I'm afraid I'm not following your question. Are you more wondering about the art side of things and what we would like to see in a follow-up to Rise of the Dragon?

@Ran

Do you think one book will be enough to finish the Targaryen history? F&B only covered the reign of 6 kings and the regency of another. Eleven kings are left to go including the Blackfyre and Robert's rebellions. 

Seems to me we need two books not one. 

Edited by Quaithe from Asshai

17 minutes ago, Quaithe from Asshai said:

@Ran

Do you think one book will be enough to finish the Targaryen history? F&B only covered the reign of 6 kings and the regency of another. Eleven kings are left to go including the Blackfyre and Robert's rebellions. 

Seems to me we need two books not one. 

It covered very nearly half of the Targaryen dynasty's reign. I don't really see an issue with George finishing F&B in one more volume, especially if he holds back on Robert's Rebellion and matter he wants to use for Dunk & Egg, which could curtail the level of detail of some substantial chunks of the history.

• 9 months later...
On 3/19/2023 at 4:03 PM, Ran said:

So... what I can say is that it's certainly what we think we may end up working on next, right now because of various timelines (TWoW, HotD season 2), it's a topic we'll be revisiting next year. 

Happy New Year, Ran. Since it is technically 'next year' now, are there any updates on these projects, if you are allowed to share, of course?

• 2 weeks later...

I think generally speaking, if that project is moving at all, he probably wouldn't be able to say without the publisher announcing it first. Especially since it would likely come out close to the release of TWoW. If it were right before it would probably become dated pretty fast, so maybe at the same time or a little after.

On 1/24/2024 at 5:06 AM, kewl0210 said:

I think generally speaking, if that project is moving at all, he probably wouldn't be able to say without the publisher announcing it first. Especially since it would likely come out close to the release of TWoW. If it were right before it would probably become dated pretty fast, so maybe at the same time or a little after.

Are we talking about F&B part II?

On 1/28/2024 at 11:19 AM, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

Are we talking about F&B part II?

No, this was about the "Who's Who in Westeros" illustrated character guide book. Ran said that may be their next project but it depends on if TWoW is almost done or not. Else if Fire and Blood II is almost done they may work on a Rise of the Dragon II type of book (Which is probably not going to be until after WINDS unless George changes his mind).

Judging by his latest blog post, I wouldn’t expect a new book anytime soon. He’s clearly not in a good headspace. The most we can do is pray for another Miracle Mets season, because I think that’s the only thing that would be able to considerably lift his spirits at this point.