The Last Kingdom - new season out today

The Young Maester

Just saw that season 5 just came out today on Netflix and probably bbc player. Personally I was disappointed with season 4 since it deviated too much from the books. But anyways wanted to start a thread about the show for any of those that watch it.

3 hours ago, The Young Maester said:

Just saw that season 5 just came out today on Netflix and probably bbc player. Personally I was disappointed with season 4 since it deviated too much from the books. But anyways wanted to start a thread about the show for any of those that watch it.

Season 5 is much better than 4.

It has its silly moments, but in the end you will feel  that the whole story of the show makes sense. 

It is the kind of feeling you would want to have after watching GoTs8. 

One and a half episodes in.  Gosh, as usual, just the way this series looks is so satisfying. Like the books, there is starting to be repetition, such as women hiding under floors.  Unlike the books though, Uhtred still seems not to have learned not to become outraged w/o thinking through or even considering he might know everything.

The people galloping the 57 miles between Aylesbury and Winchester (more like 90 by road) and York and Aylesbury (about 180 miles by road) in 10 minutes each time is quite amusing.

But not quite as amusing as scenes involving Eliza Butterworth (28) having conversations with her daughter Millie Brady (28) and granddaughter Phia Saban (23), and nobody has made any attempts whatsoever to make them look their age (Uhtred should also turn 60 during the events of this season). This has been a perennial problem since the show started and it's now getting very silly.

7 hours ago, Werthead said:

The people galloping the 57 miles between Aylesbury and Winchester (more like 90 by road) and York and Aylesbury (about 180 miles by road) in 10 minutes each time is quite amusing.

Sadly its just part of every tv show. Everyone seems to be fast pacing long travels for the sake of the plot. It really makes it feel like England is the size of London.

8 hours ago, Werthead said:

But not quite as amusing as scenes involving Eliza Butterworth (28) having conversations with her daughter Millie Brady (28) and granddaughter Phia Saban (23), and nobody has made any attempts whatsoever to make them look their age (Uhtred should also turn 60 during the events of this season). This has been a perennial problem since the show started and it's now getting very silly.

Agreed. I really think they shouldve aged the characters with maybe some makeup.

They really missed on some Uhtred character development. Like it amazes me how from the first book he turned from being an entitled youngster that was prone to anger into a cynical mature man. You really feel like your part of the journey of his life.

Also really sad they didnt include Uhtreds second son.

Book spoiler, before season 5

Spoiler

Was looking forward to the scene where he renames his firstborn (priest boy) to Judas (The apostate that betrayed Jesus).

It's a bit bemusing why they didn't at least dye Eliza Butterworth's hair or give her a wig to look like a youngish 60-something. I think they did make some minor efforts with Millie Brady, but more 

Spoiler

because of her illness rather than her age.

Also a little disappointed at this point (just finished episode 7):

Spoiler

They seem to be skipping Aelfwynn's one-year reign of England, or Mercia-Wessex, and skipping straight to her being deposed. Aethelflaed passing power to Aelfwynn remains the only example of female-to-female inheritance in English or British succession history (haven't double-checked to see about the rest of Europe).

4 hours ago, Werthead said:

Also a little disappointed at this point (just finished episode 7):

Reveal hidden contents

They seem to be skipping Aelfwynn's one-year reign of England, or Mercia-Wessex, and skipping straight to her being deposed. Aethelflaed passing power to Aelfwynn remains the only example of female-to-female inheritance in English or British succession history (haven't double-checked to see about the rest of Europe).

I have not started this yet. So what is your rating for this season?  Out of 10 how much would you give it?

They have aged the show's Uhtred -- into late 40's or 50's maybe?  Not anywhere near as old as he would look according to his age in the final novel in the series.  But I've still only watched two episodes.

I am overwhelmed trying to schedule programming for a conference, while tracking the next developments for both covid and the war, both necessary for attempting decisions about future stuff, as well as this weekend's big storm.  Sigh.

39 minutes ago, Zorral said:

They have aged the show's Uhtred -- into late 40's or 50's maybe?  Not anywhere near as old as he would look according to his age in the final novel in the series.  But I've still only watched two episodes.

This is adapting Books 9 and 10. A condensed version of 11-13 will form the basis for a final movie (which they're shooting right now). Uhtred turns 60 during the events of those books (9 and 10), and Alexander Dreymon is and looks his age of 39, if anything maybe a few years younger (he was 32 playing 18 in Season 1).

2 hours ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

I have not started this yet. So what is your rating for this season?  Out of 10 how much would you give it?

I’ve watched the first 3 episodes only.

From the perspective of an average tv show viewer id give it a 6 maybe 7.

And from a book readers perspective, a 3.

57 minutes ago, Werthead said:

This is adapting Books 9 and 10. A condensed version of 11-13 will form the basis for a final movie (which they're shooting right now). Uhtred turns 60 during the events of those books (9 and 10), and Alexander Dreymon is and looks his age of 39, if anything maybe a few years younger (he was 32 playing 18 in Season 1).

Thanks!  I should have known / realized that.  Not paying the kind of attention I should be -- though it being tv, this isn't much of failing, compared to other matters to which must pay attention! :cheers:

42 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

The writing and acting seems a little bit off.

We could well be seeing the effects of on-again production, off-again production, including getting to Hungary, etc. from both Covid and BREXIT?  We've certainly seen this with other shows.  It's very hard to stop and start a production that depends on creative process, and keep the momentum, which includes the development of the rapport and building of confidence among the actors.

And yes, obviously, I'm inclined to make excuses for this, still my favorite show of just about all time.  I mean, I loved The Musketeers, but I've yet to re-watch any of the seasons or episodes, whereas I've re-watched all the seasons (so far) several times of The Last Kingdom.  :D  Yes, indeed, you too may laugh at me!

On 3/10/2022 at 4:40 PM, Werthead said:

Oddly, I’ve sometimes thought Bernard Cornwall has problems with English geography, maybe as a result of living in the USA for so long.

Archived