College Basketball 2022 and 2023: A Hoops Diary

Rhom

10 hours ago, Matrim Fox Cauthon said:

If Roy was still head coach, we know that he would like giving y'all the free easy win. 

How is your fanbase feeling about Davis?  Probably quite good after the past month, but how about before that?  I always liked him as a commentator on ESPN.

1 hour ago, RedEyedGhost said:

How is your fanbase feeling about Davis?  Probably quite good after the past month, but how about before that?  I always liked him as a commentator on ESPN.

I don't know that I've ever seen a coach change the narrative around their first season more than Davis.

That team was an absolute mess in December.  I don't remember ever seeing a worse Carolina team, and I remember Doherty well!  I thought and would assume most thought likewise, that Davis was going to wind up being a mistake hiring someone without head coaching experience.  But he shortened his rotation and found a half dozen guys that worked in their positions and really got them to buy in.  It was an amazing job of coaching.  One of the best I recall ever seeing in the course of a single season.

I think they'll be a little short handed tonight both physically and mentally so I fully expect a comfortable Kansas win; but if I'm a Carolina fan I feel confident going forward that we have the right guy in place. 

23 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Kind of curious, do you guys think this would be an enjoyable in-person viewing experience, assuming you weren't sitting up close?:

Not in the least and I kinda hate that they have the F4 in places like that.

28 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Not in the least and I kinda hate that they have the F4 in places like that.

I don't like going to football games because I'm not going to pay to sit close enough to enjoy it. Otherwise it just feels like paying to watch the game on a giant TV while the action happens below it. Have to imagine it's so much worse for hoops. I'm at the point in life where I won't even go see that live unless I'm sitting close enough to hear the players yelling. 

16 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I don't like going to football games because I'm not going to pay to sit close enough to enjoy it. Otherwise it just feels like paying to watch the game on a giant TV while the action happens below it. Have to imagine it's so much worse for hoops. I'm at the point in life where I won't even go see that live unless I'm sitting close enough to hear the players yelling. 

Yeah.  My sweet spot for cost/location is in the corner of the end area for both football and basketball.

I have never been to a Final Four game but have several friends who have been to multiple.  I don’t get it.

Yeah that is way too far back. I've sat in the upper section, very last row of the Chase Center for Warriors games, and they're much closer than that video. Decent seating, and I don't mind the upper section at all -- though I do prefer the corners or the sides. It is comparable to watching a game on TV but the experience is a lot different, especially when you're going with friends.

9 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Yeah.  My sweet spot for cost/location is in the corner of the end area for both football and basketball.

I have never been to a Final Four game but have several friends who have been to multiple.  I don’t get it.

I'd love to go. Ticket prices for the women's side here were pretty reasonable, but I'm not quite ready to go into an indoor event with that many people yet.

On the flipside, my stepdad and I were more than ready to get Owl tickets when the game was here a few years ago until we found out to get two decent tickets (still upper level) would cost about as much as a new Honda Civic. Fuck that shit. 

11 minutes ago, Rhom said:

I once considered moving to the West coast for good with this actually being a factor. I'd love for my football Sundays to start at 10 and be over in time to still go out for dinner. Idk how people on the East coast do it. Charmed must pay for itself just from basketball fans falling asleep with the TV on.

18 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I once considered moving to the West coast for good with this actually being a factor. I'd love for my football Sundays to start at 10 and be over in time to still go out for dinner. Idk how people on the East coast do it. Charmed must pay for itself just from basketball fans falling asleep with the TV on.

Not quite ready to go that far; but I did consider living in central time zone for similar reasons.  The line is literally at the border of my county.  I have a patient where one end of their house is central and the other end is eastern.  :lol: 

5 minutes ago, DMC said:

Hey it's nice scenery to wake up to!

I do love me some Alyssa Milano.

I went to the 2012 Final Four in New Orleans and definitely wouldn’t do it again unless I had close seats. We were high enough where it was kind of annoying. The arena is obviously huge. Best part of the trip was seeing the city though, and pretty sure I bet Kentucky in all the games too. 

24 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Not quite ready to go that far; but I did consider living in central time zone for similar reasons.  The line is literally at the border of my county.  I have a patient where one end of their house is central and the other end is eastern.  :lol: 

That's so dumb, lol.

I do love me some Alyssa Milano.

I had a big crush on Rose McGowan growing up. Milano is also fire though.