College Basketball 2022 and 2023: A Hoops Diary

Rhom

1 hour ago, Whiskeyjack said:

What a strange thing to say to somebody from Minnesota.

No he’s right, I have been bitter about college hoops since I was in junior high. A time in my life when I could tell you exactly nothing about KU.

Back to the game, I knew UNC had a bad shooting night, but I didn’t realize they shot <32% as a team. They all went full John Starks. And yes I’m still bitter about that too. First grade me just can’t get past it.

:P

• 3 weeks later...

So it looks like Jay Wright is retiring in a very surprising move. One of the best to ever do it. Kyle Neptune to take over. I’ve never heard of him but he was the Fordham coach and former Nova assistant. 

Very disappointed we didn’t get a Rhom post about Tshiebwe returning, even if it’s not that big of a surprise.

1 hour ago, Ramsay B. said:

So it looks like Jay Wright is retiring in a very surprising move. One of the best to ever do it. Kyle Neptune to take over. I’ve never heard of him but he was the Fordham coach and former Nova assistant. 

Very disappointed we didn’t get a Rhom post about Tshiebwe returning, even if it’s not that big of a surprise.

Sorry I didn’t share my Tshiebwe love! Big O is awesome and I’m excited to have him back.  Just a genuinely good kid.  He has ambitions of being a preacher when he returns to the Congo one day.  Has preached guest sermons at churches in Lexington.  He has a very real and abiding faith and he just works hard on the court.  Really likable kid.  If we get Shaedon Sharpe to come “back” then we are a legit dangerous team next year.

I am also stunned that Wright is retiring.  Will be interesting to see if any pro jobs come calling or if he might be tempted back to the sideline after a year or two of retirement in college.  :dunno: 

On today's episode of "As the Wildcat Turns"... Shaedon Sharpe has entered the draft and will not return to Kentucky.  He never played a minute.

If you aren't familiar with the story, and I assume most outside the Commonwealth are not, he was the number one player in next year's class.  He was playing high school ball as late as October when he decided he would rather come to UK, enroll in the Spring semester and prepare to play for next year's team.  The assumption was he would not be eligible for the draft this year.  Cal and his parents met and agreed that he would not play this year.  Then in late January/early February speculation came out that he might be eligible because he finished coursework in the summer.  Speculation began.

Today it was announced that he actually has a diploma from his high school from May... I mean, every kid with a diploma from May goes back and plays high school ball in the fall.  Right?  :rolleyes:  

Anyways, the BBN is in full meltdown mode right now saying that Cal has lied since the beginning.  Personally, I do believe that the plan when he enrolled was as stated.  Circumstances changed and now the decision has changed.  Really wasn't a good PR look for the school now.

I was in the "No harm, No foul" camp until earlier when I was reminded that Arkansas signee Nick Smith was looking at Kentucky but decided there wasn't a spot there with both Shaedon Sharpe and Skyy Clark signed.  Now Sharpe is in the draft and Clark is signed with Illinois.

• 1 month later...

So hey @RedEyedGhost... are there any other teams in the Big XII these days or not?

Because based on who Kentucky gets slotted to play in the Big XII/SEC challenge every. damn. year.  I'm really starting to wonder.  :lol: 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Another Spartan update, apparently Barry Sanders kid is joining Izzo's squad as a walk-on freshman.

He played his High School ball just down the highway over at Detroit Country Day, alma mater to Chris Weber and several (7) NBA players since.

Eta: Barry has already met with the team once, Im sure Izzo will gladly let Barry in for a halftime motivational anytime!

Edited by DireWolfSpirit

• 1 month later...

The new season is upon us, practices have started, there is a new king of Duke...what shall the new year bring?  Kinda hoping after a few years of chasing down my kid that I actually get to watch some games with him rather than just hear snippets here and there.  

7 hours ago, Greywolf2375 said:

The new season is upon us, practices have started, there is a new king of Duke...what shall the new year bring?  Kinda hoping after a few years of chasing down my kid that I actually get to watch some games with him rather than just hear snippets here and there.  

Enjoy these times.  Before you know it, the kid will be telling YOU all the basketball news. :grouphug:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...