College Basketball 2022 and 2023: A Hoops Diary

Rhom

• 3 weeks later...

HowTF did Missouri get ranked??  They looked absolutely horrible when we played them.  I know they have a lot of wins, but their schedule is laughable.

I typed that and then looked at their schedule, so I didn't know that Dec 28th probably played a role in that...  Sorry, Rhom.

9 hours ago, Rhom said:

And Texas has shaved Chris Beard.

Definitely the right move there.  Will be interesting to see what his next step is, but honestly I can't be bothered to care much.

3 hours ago, Ferrum Aeternum said:

Saw this post last night and thought of you. :lol: 

On Saturday, my dad and I were sitting in a small gym watching my son play in a local league.  We were checking the score periodically on the beating UK was taking from Alabama.  Dad made the comment, "I used to think that the sun wouldn't come up the next day if I missed a UK game.  I'm glad I don't get that worked up anymore."

Its just an unhealthy mindset that we can get into.  I'm not proud of it, but I know that I get grumpy when UK loses.  I am much better than I once was.  All kidding aside, the Wisconsin game in 2015 broke something inside me.  And its a sentiment that isn't uncommon amongst other UK fans I know.

2 minutes ago, Rhom said:

On Saturday, my dad and I were sitting in a small gym watching my son play in a local league.  We were checking the score periodically on the beating UK was taking from Alabama.  Dad made the comment, "I used to think that the sun wouldn't come up the next day if I missed a UK game.  I'm glad I don't get that worked up anymore."

Its just an unhealthy mindset that we can get into.  I'm not proud of it, but I know that I get grumpy when UK loses.  I am much better than I once was.  All kidding aside, the Wisconsin game in 2015 broke something inside me.  And its a sentiment that isn't uncommon amongst other UK fans I know.

Nothing to be ashamed of. Sports fandom is a lot like a (toxic?) long-term relationship, with all the highs and lows therein. The emotional push and pull can make you a wreck. It’s natural and healthy to eventually recognize that these are literally just games that we as fans have no control over, and there are a lot of more important things in life. 

it’s also easy for me to say that as a person whose CBB team lost to frickin’ UNA last month. :lol:  My dad and I had a good laugh over that one at Christmas. 

3 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

Little embarrassing at first, but I think I got my message across.  :lol: 

The rollercoaster ride of fandom is funny shit. I absolutely don’t miss the days of taking every single loss to heart, and missing events just because I couldn’t miss the game. Pure silliness. 

Speaking of rollercoasters- the Uconn forum has gone from holy shit way may actually be good, to we’re a contender this year, to we’ll probably go undefeated and win the championship, to pure panic and we can’t beat good teams on the road and we’ll probably be bounced in the first weekend. Classic stuff.

1 hour ago, Ramsay B. said:

The rollercoaster ride of fandom is funny shit. I absolutely don’t miss the days of taking every single loss to heart, and missing events just because I couldn’t miss the game. Pure silliness. 

Speaking of rollercoasters- the Uconn forum has gone from holy shit way may actually be good, to we’re a contender this year, to we’ll probably go undefeated and win the championship, to pure panic and we can’t beat good teams on the road and we’ll probably be bounced in the first weekend. Classic stuff.

Around and around she goes… where it stops… nobody knows!!!

Ugh… Kyle Tucker at The Athletic has a mailbag on the UK situation.  It’s… not a good look.

@RedEyedGhost will love this snippet:

Cal to Texas seems to have some smoke around it. If it comes true, who does Barnhart call right at this moment to be the next coach? — Wyatt J.

Scott Drew, followed by Scott Drew, and then one more call to Scott Drew. I’m not saying that would necessarily be my list, but I’m fairly confident it is Barnhart’s. The 52-year-old Baylorboss, a strong recruiter and three-time Big 12 Coach of the Year who won a national title in 2021 is Barnhart’s dream candidate. The question is whether he’d leave the peace and pressure-free life of coaching basketball in Waco, Texas, for the intense scrutiny of Kentucky. And if not, who’s next on the list?

:stillsick: 

13 hours ago, Rhom said:

Ugh… Kyle Tucker at The Athletic has a mailbag on the UK situation.  It’s… not a good look.

@RedEyedGhost will love this snippet:

:stillsick: 

The problem with losing Calipari is that you have to find somebody else.  As much as I'd laugh if you all hired Drew (how is he anything but a worse version of Cal??), I can't imagine him leaving Baylor (at least until the Big XII collapses and if Baylor gets left out of joining a good conference).  I mean he brought them back from a literal murder to a championship, his job security is as stress free as it could possibly be for a very long time.

Dammit… I had a long post typed up and somehow fat fingered my comment away.

So anyway, short version.  If Cal left today, here’s what I think you have to do.

Make the home run calls you know will turn you down; but you gotta try. Stevens.  Donovan.  Jay Wright.

Once that’s out of the way; then you get down to business.  For UK AD, apparently that means Drew. :stillsick: And if he can’t get that, then I think he calls Nicholasville, KY native (just outside Lex) Chris Holtmann at Ohio State.  That also doesn’t excite me.

I don’t think he likes Nate Oats’ brash attitude, but for me, that’s where I go.  

I like Musselman, but he’s a lot older than I realized.

Uconn went from looking like world beaters the first month and a half, to a mediocre .500 Big East team(which they are).

They got absolutely punked at home to a not very good St. John’s team that can’t shoot. Hurley better figure some shit out because the BE teams are on to them. 

• 2 weeks later...