College Basketball 2022 and 2023: A Hoops Diary

Rhom

That was a really bad turnover at the end there for Virginia.  Really can't imagine what he was thinking in that spot.  Did he think there was way less time left, and if he just threw it up in the air that the game would be over?  There were almost 8 seconds left when he threw it, so that's never gonna work.  Did he think that Furman had all 5 guys in the press, and if he just threw it downcourt there would be no one?  I have to think that's what he saw.  He had a teammate very open for the swing pass, with a throwing lane to get him the ball.   

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Are there any interesting narratives/storylines this year? As a casual fan this seems like one of the most nameless, faceless tournaments I can remember. 

I mean… Brandon Miller might be an accessory to murder. :dunno: 

1 hour ago, Ramsay B. said:

@Rhom I haven’t really looked at the bracket as a whole until now. I see they put Bryce Hopkins against your boys to open it up. That’s pretty intriguing. He was a beast this year. Providence really struggled down the stretch though. 

Yeah… the selection committee doesn’t look at story lines when making the bracket… :rolleyes:

Hopkins has been great for them, but he’s a volume shooter and not the kind of guy we usually have problems with this season.  (Smaller quicker guards.) As you say, Providence has last 4 of 5.  So we shall see.

It’s really a must win game for the Cats though.  Tourney cancelled in 20.  Abortion of a season in 21.  Upset in first round by St Pete’s in 22.

If we don’t win against the Friars, it will be the first time in school history that a student could have enrolled and graduated in four years without ever seeing a NCAA tournament win. :stunned: 

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Are there any interesting narratives/storylines this year? As a casual fan this seems like one of the most nameless, faceless tournaments I can remember. 

You know, in all seriousness… that’s an interesting feeling because with the extra COVID year and the transfer portal there are more upperclassmen in this tournament than any time in the last couple of decades.

But some of the top players in this freshman class elected for GLeague Ignite and such which killed some of the star power.

Really shows that people may bitch about one and done, but what they really want is stars for however long they can have them.

25 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Might be?  I think the only might about it is whether they're charge him or not.

Looks like there is a little fight left in the Illini.

Wow, Princeton looks like they've got this.

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

And as a casual fan he's the only player I know anything about. I never watched a ton of college ball over the years (expect when I was at Minny), but typically in past years I could tell you a good amount about the top players.

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

Really shows that people may bitch about one and done, but what they really want is stars for however long they can have them.

There's no way to go back to the old system and it would be wrong to do so even if the product might benefit.