Raised by Wolves

Gronzag

I could have sworn we had a Raised by Wolves thread, but I can't find it so I'm starting a new one, while the second season is still on.

The show is right up my alley, SciFi with a mystery element. Great thing about it is that it isn't based on any previous material, so anything can happen. And 'anything' indeed does happen.

Ridley Scott is an executive producer and has directed few episodes but I don't think he is in really in charge of the show.

I’ve never had a harder time deciding if I like a show. I spent all of season 1 perpetually on the fence. It’s right up my alley too, but there’s just something so … flat about it all. Two robots and some children aren’t quite enough in the way of protagonists. I’ll check out Season 2 I imagine though.

53 minutes ago, DaveSumm said:

I’ve never had a harder time deciding if I like a show. I spent all of season 1 perpetually on the fence. It’s right up my alley too, but there’s just something so … flat about it all.

I'd say it's because it has all the codes, tropes, and aesthetics of a show seeking to offer some deep lesson about humans, humanity, history... etc, but it ends up saying nothing.

I was personally skeptical for the first half of the first season, hoping that the story would eventually start. But it never did. What I mean by that is that there is a succession of events taking place on screen, but they don't offer much meaning to the viewer. Yeah, "anything can happen," because the show has no sense of direction. I wouldn't even say there is a "mystery," because at the end of the season, even though you get some answers, you're still not sure what the point of most scenes or characters was. It's entirely up to the viewer to find meaning in what they have seen. Lazy writing in my book.

Sorry, I just hate shows that pretend to be deep, but do so by avoiding having any clear scenario and any clear "answer" to the questions it raises. As far as post-apocalyptic stuff goes, I'd rate The Nevers ten times higher than Raised by Wolves. Or the finale of Battlestar Galatica.

It isn't a good show at all. The dialog is atrocious, the characterization is poor and serves the plot as needed, the world appears to be made by an 8 year old.

But it is definitely weird as shit and is pretty, so I keep watching it. 

Yeah, I'm definitely on the fence as to whether it's a good show or it's a bad show and I just enjoy it enough to make up for that fact. Ultimately it's goodness, I think, will be decided by its ending, whether the weird shit and mysteries mean anything or are just being thrown at a wall to see what sticks.

But, whatever, I enjoy it so I guess all of the above doesn't matter that much... for now.

• 2 months later...

Sad. It took so long to find out whether it will be renewed or canceled that it alone almost damaged the show's prospects.

I hope they find a new home and that HBO max execs get turned into trees.

Archived