Eurovision 2022: Turin (May 10, 12, Grand Final 14)

Ran

Right, if you have joined the server in the past, the invitation button on the top left won't work. But if you've never been there before, it'll get you signed up.

That said, here is a temporary invite link. We're in the #eurovision channel.

Damn, I almost missed it and now I gotta play catch-up! Don't know any of the songs yet.

Albania: Nice opening. Yes, I like Balkan trash pop.

Lithuania: hmmm... not bad. Nice dress, too.

Well, my favorites got in.

I'm now catching up with the songs of the second semi.

UK: In the beginning, his voice sounds like... Johnny Logan!

France: Like it a lot.

Romania: nice dance number.

Italy: might become my favorite. Starts out inconspicious and gets better and better. I think I'd like it a bit less... produced, if that makes any sense. Also, interesting video.

Belgium: pretty good...

Wait, are these songs better or am I just in that Eurovision place where I suddenly like every song?!

They left Netherlands for last, and I held my breath. For the most part the people laying bets got it right -- 7 of 10 that were tipped to qualify made it, and the three that didn't were the three with the worst odds... and were replaced by the three that were right after them.

Yes, that was nerve-wrecking!

I really like the Australian song. Wonderful voice, too. Can Australia even get voted for?

Poland ain't half bad, either.

Germany: lame, but at least no need to emigrate this time

For those who missed it, they had Diodato perform "Fai Rumore" -- selected for the 2020 Eurovision which was cancelled due to Covid -- as an interval act. Beautiful performance of a lovely Italian ballad, with the crowd joining in:

I watched Tuesday when I got home from work. Got to see Greece, here's the entry.

Ireland is good, I really liked Moldova on Tuesday. The video for San Marino was also catchy.

There are a bunch of really nice songs that have great vocals but I fear they won't stand out. Among them are; GB, Portugal, Netherlands, and Australia. I'd put Greece in the same category -- as far as I can tell it's the same verse repeated ad nausea. The title line in the song is something you remember though. 

Spain seems to be the only country I've seen sending scantily-clad performers this year. It's a fantastic song. As is Italy, I like the two of them together.

I sorted the discord login thing. It found me problematic for some reason. I may log in tonight when I get back from work.

Lastly, there are a lot of great songs but I believe the eventual winner is already a foregone conclusion. At least it's a good song. 

ETA: What's the process for logging into discord to the specific room?

I got to admit, really looking forward to the finale on Saturday but I can't imagine also watching the semi-finals. That would just make me overdose.

Just saw a report in Greek about volunteers being sexually harassed at the opening party by "dancers from a northern European country". This is the only link to the story in English I could find

The Italian student and volunteer stated that “the Cypriot singer also became the center of attention”, but that those responsible for this incident did not allow themselves to cross the borders.

I'm a big fan of Moldova's entry this year, it's a lot of fun and feels very organic to Moldova / Romania in its style. I think the band are already quite well known in that part of the world and it shows in their performance, the video is also very well done.

It's very strange that Moldova has consistently interesting entries, whereas Romania is generally very weak and generic. For two countries so closely tied its odd how different they are to the approach.

Other than that I think Norway's entry from Subwoolfer is a lot of fun and I think it might be one of those catchy hits. I mean a song that has the lyrics 'So before that wolf eats my grandma, give that wolf a banana!' is one thats really gonna catch peoples attention. I know I laughed out loud when I first saw it. This is what Eurovision is about for me, really stupid songs with a good level of technical quality that don't take themselves seriously. 

I'll also say I initially thought the UK's entry was surprisingly good this year, but having heard it a couple of times now I think it will slide down the rankings and become a non entity like normal.

5 hours ago, dalThor said:

Just saw a report in Greek about volunteers being sexually harassed at the opening party by "dancers from a northern European country". This is the only link to the story in English I could find

I can't seem to see this being repeated on Reddit, but if it's true, not that many countries from "northern Europe" seem to fit. The detail of his having said on the podium that he loves Italian girls seems to rule out Norway (don't know if any of their dancers are black are white -- they're dressed up as bananas :P -- but the performers don't speak on camera, and in any case they talk about a singular 'artist'). Finland, Sweden, Estonia, Germany, Latvia, Austria, the UK, Ireland, the Netherlands, Denmark, Switzerland, and Iceland don't have dancers (or, in Ireland's case, no male dancers, and some of these are female performers as well).

Poland has head-to-toe covered dancers, no idea of their race or gender composition. Belgium does have both black and white male dancers. I'm leaning towards Belgium.

@Mindwalker

The odds certainly seem to be saying it. I feel Eurovision fans are in denial about this one because it's basically no one's #1 choice for favorite song, but I do feel that's the way the winds are blowing.

7 hours ago, dalThor said:

ETA: What's the process for logging into discord to the specific room?

Oh, also. So, if you've never been in our discord before, at the top left (above Latest News) you'll see a Discord button. Click that and it'll give you the invite and even setup your account on the server with your user name here (and I think even your avatar). Once you're on Discord, go to the Westeros server, and there's a #eurovision channel at the bottom of the Text Channels list.

We have the final running order. Of course the hardcore fans are picking it to pieces, trying to divine how various contestants did in the semis (the running order is not completely random; after the semis a draw is held to decide who goes into the first or second half of the final, but then the hosts decide how each half runs).

We Are Domi kicking off the contest is a testament to the high-energy they bring, while Estonia's entry closing the show seems a vote for the performer's charm and staging making a good wrap up. Of course, much grousing about Sweden's sweet 20 spot... and Ukraine's #12 spot  followed by a mess of ballads has convinced many that Ukraine is definitely winning this year.

@Ran can you post a link for the Discord? I thought I would leave and rejoin the server  to see if that lets me view the Eurovision channel but I can’t find the discord link on the mobile site and the one you posted earlier is expired 

8 minutes ago, Maltaran said:

@Ran can you post a link for the Discord? I thought I would leave and rejoin the server  to see if that lets me view the Eurovision channel but I can’t find the discord link on the mobile site and the one you posted earlier is expired 

Did you see what I sent? It's the last channel in the Text Channels category, above the ASoIaF category. You may have to scroll to see it.

ETA: I've attempted to remove your original invite, so that you can use the magic invite at the top left again. Let me know if that works or not.

Archived