Eurovision 2022: Turin (May 10, 12, Grand Final 14)

Ran

Man, did most juries this year have a dull and unimaginative taste. God forbid they vote for anything interesting.

I love how the public vote once again trampled all over the juries, and this time they really deserved it.

Ukraine clearly got a lot of the sympathy votes from the public, but without that it was still one of the songs that stood out. I'll take it over the generic UK pop song any day.

It was nice to see the public vote rule. I agree the jury votes were wholly uninspired.

I am shocked, SHOCKED that Greece was a top 10 -- though that was largely due to the jury votes. I'm glad to see the UK do well for a change. Germany might end up taking their Loser of Losers title away.

I thought Spain would do well, along with Italy. It was nice to see Ukraine get the win. You could see as they annonced the last votes that it meant a lot more to them than it did to the UK guy.

UK coming second ( probably would have won on any other year) is pretty incredible given how awful we are most years. I actually didn’t love the UK song, but he gave a very good performance which is leaps ahead of what he usually put in each year.

It does show how out of step the juries are with the general public however. Didn’t quite understand how Ukraine wasn’t getting points.

Then the massive jump by Moldova really highlights how different tastes are, I thought it’s a great song that will be heard on the beaches of Romania for years to come, the juries barely noticed it.

So many awful dreary ballads this year, that really didn’t deserve to get any points but did. Australia was actually dreadful. 

34 minutes ago, Mentat said:

Since I don't think Ukraine is likely to be able to host Eurovision next year, I definitely think the UK should get dibs as the runner-up.

Which is why for a second I thought the UK will win, it was the pragmatic thing to happen, and they did have a good song.

1 hour ago, Heartofice said:

It does show how out of step the juries are with the general public however. Didn’t quite understand how Ukraine wasn’t getting points.

Because it was a terrible song. Main reason I'm guessing.

2 minutes ago, lessthanluke said:

Because it was a terrible song. Main reason I'm guessing.

Didn’t stop them voting for other terrible songs. Expecting the juries to make decisions based purely on musical merit seems to deny the history of the competition  

1 hour ago, Mentat said:

Since I don't think Ukraine is likely to be able to host Eurovision next year, I definitely think the UK should get dibs as the runner-up.

I think the UK is one of the default hosts if the winning country is unable/unwilling to do it anyway, along with France and Germany. It's also a nice reciprocation as Ukraine did give us 12 points.

The full results of the public vote are up on the Eurovision website. 28 countries gave Ukraine 12 points and only three gave them less than 10, the lowest being 7 from Serbia

I wasn't able to watch it live and I'm spoiled for the result, so... Looks like most of my favorites didn't have a chance. Like in most of my Eurovision history! Maybe I'll give it a watch tonight.

5 hours ago, Heartofice said:

UK coming second ( probably would have won on any other year) is pretty incredible given how awful we are most years.

Sam Ryder scored more points than the last 11 UK Eurovision entries combined. Pretty amazing, and well-deserved.

Because of the hugely outsized support Ukraine gone, it's really impossible to say which of the countries in the top 4 would have won in a "normal" year. 

On the juries:

Semi-final 2 had six countries' juries disqualified because of "unusual voting patterns" (aka collusion and vote trading), leading to an aggregate being created from the other half of the countries voting. And then in the final, three countries were mysteriously not reachable -- Romania, Azerbaijan, and I think Georgia(?) -- and they were part of that six country group. According to a person allegedly working for the Romanian broadcaster, the EBU simply chose not to get in touch with them and presented aggregated  votes for them.

Azerbaijan has been involved in scandals like this before, and I hope the EBU suspends them for a few years.

ETA: Ah, San Marino, Poland and Montenegro were the other three countries who had suspicious voting patterns.. but they appear to have agreed to announce the aggregate vote subsititutes without raising a fuss. I'm guessing the other three refused and the EBU bypassed them. They should all be punished.

• 2 months later...

Archived