Can you make a list of the top 10 most brutal and evil historical characters who have lived before the events of ASOIAF?

boltons are sick

I have read The World of Ice and Fire some time ago and I must say that there are a lot of brutal deeds commited there. But who in your opinion was the most brutal and evil character that doesn't appear in the main ASOIAF series? Please, make a list of them and write a few sentences of what they have done that's so barbaric that they have earned a spot on the list.

Lord Unwin Peake.  He had a ten year old girl murdered in an exceptionally cruel manner.

Blood and Cheese, who forced Queen Helaena to choose which of her children they would kill.

Harren the Black, a mass murderer and slaver.

Aegon IV, a man of monstrous appetites, cruelty, and selfishness. 

Maegor, a man who revelled in blood.

Tyanna of the Tower, traitress and torturer.

Aegon II, weak,  vicious, and a kinslayer.

Hagon Hoare who had his own mother brutally tortured and mutilated.

Lord Gargon the Gross, serial rapist.

Androw Farman, serial poisoner.

SeanF's list is perfect. if I may , I'll just add Aegon II and Aegon IV's worst moments (so no one comes defending them!) :

Aegon IV : forcing Bethany Bracken to witness her lover's torture and slow death , killing her afterwards.

Aegon II : he chose an exceptionally gruesome way to kill his sister . feeding her alive to his dragon in front of her 10yr old son. 

I'd also add Aemond instead of Andrew . killing Luke for something he accidentally had done in a fight in the age of 5 was obscene , especially if you'd believe the tale that he also took out his eyes as souvenir. all in all , Aemond and Aegon II kinda seem to have some sociopathic traits . I mean ..they've got zero empathy even for their own father..  

1. Theon Stark.  His brutality knows no equal. 
  2. Bran's ancestor.  The woman who cut the prisoner's throat a long time ago.  She was fertilizing the weirwood with that man's life blood. 
  3. The slavers of Ghis.
  4. Aegon II
  5. In general, the First Men.
  6. The people of Skagos are cannibals to this day.
  7. Argillac, the lord of Storms End.
  8. The White Walkers
  9. The owners of the fighting pits of Meereen.
  10. Lord Peake.  Gormon Peake. 

5 hours ago, boltons are sick said:

I have read The World of Ice and Fire some time ago and I must say that there are a lot of brutal deeds commited there. But who in your opinion was the most brutal and evil character that doesn't appear in the main ASOIAF series? Please, make a list of them and write a few sentences of what they have done that's so barbaric that they have earned a spot on the list.

The Faceless Men

I can excuse Androw Farman because he had a miserable marriage, and it was payback against his wife and her cruel friends.

Princess Saera, who keeps tormenting the court jester and caused a sex scandal that got her friends dragged down (one of them killed, even). When attempts were made to straighten her out, she ran off.

The woods witch who foretold the Prince That Was Promised prophecy. All the shit that goes on in the books happens thanks to her.

Jaehaerys II and Shaera, who ditched their intended spouses for each other, somehow not setting off a war, then later forcing their two kids to marry each other against their own (which makes them hypocrites). Plus one of their kids turns into a tyrant who brutally abuses his sister-wife, so they (J&S) are at fault for causing her misery.

17 hours ago, Bowen Marsh said:
  2. Bran's ancestor.  The woman who cut the prisoner's throat a long time ago.  She was fertilizing the weirwood with that man's life blood. 

Possibly...

She also could have been marrying the man to the tree.

LML has a great breakdown of Cat's death during the red wedding and the role of Aegon the Fool. He posits that Cat represents a wierwood tree (red hair, red hands -wounded red hands even, pale skin) and Aegon the antlered fool is representative of an early would be greenseer.  Anyway the payoff of all of this is in Cat's actions after slitting the throat. She raked her own face with her finger nails (likened fittingly to raven's talons) 'carving it' and then she began to laugh madly as though crazy Aegon the Fool had infected her with his madness.

I think this metaphor is compounded by the fact that the risen Cat takes the name Lady Stone Heart because we all know that a weirwood tree doesn't die but eventually petrifies. 

I would recommend checking out a few of Lucifermeanslightbringer's essays, especially the ones he wrote before the abomination ended. It's been a while since I've checked it out and I may have screwed up some of the details in my synopsis but this was I think in his wierwood goddess series.

Anyway, that was a little more longwinded than I had intended but I just wanted to point out that the woman in question might have doing something other than sacrificing the guy, despite what we see and even though Bran does taste his blood.

The cult of faceless assassins are at the top of the brutality pyramid.  It doesn't matter if they do it without emotion.  It's still murder.  

Sorrowful Men

The Masters of Astapor

Magicians of Asshai

Red Priests and Priestesses

The Children of the Forest

Ironborn

Dothraki

Wildlings

Lords of Westeros

9 hours ago, Jon Fossoway said:

Are we intentionally avoiding the mention of Gregor Clegane?

it's about historical characters , not the ones in the main series . otherwise , ser Gregor would have won the brutality crown

24 minutes ago, EggBlue said:

it's about historical characters , not the ones in the main series . otherwise , ser Gregor would have won the brutality crown

I think Ramsay Bolton might outdo him.

On 3/15/2022 at 8:33 PM, Rondo said:

The cult of faceless assassins are at the top of the brutality pyramid.  It doesn't matter if they do it without emotion.  It's still murder.  

Sorrowful Men

The Masters of Astapor

Magicians of Asshai

Red Priests and Priestesses

The Children of the Forest

Ironborn

Dothraki

Wildlings

Lords of Westeros

It’s too easy to fill the list with institutions and organizations. The question was about individuals.

Archived