Daylight saving time sucks donkey balls… final thread?

Ser Scot A Ellison

There are a couple of non-digital watches here, somewhere.  And the ancient, ancient clock-alarm-radio, the audio of which is now prone to short out when a teeny tremor jars it, does require re-setting twice a year or when knocked out its outlet.  Or a hurricane taking out all the power for weeks. It was a Christmas gift from our first year, so there's tremendous, silly, sentimental attachment to it. History of our relationship and so on and so forth. :D

1 hour ago, DMC said:

*Wondering how many domesticated fowl reside with Larry*

Not enough.  I'm trying to work up the nerve to get a flock of peafowl so I have the loudest household in the neighborhood, but I know I'd end up evicted or murdered by my neighbors.   But a boy can dream.  

4 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

The fact that people don't even have one non-digital clock in their home anymore is the true sadness. 

My sparkly brand newish BMW also refuses to acknowledge the existence of daylight savings. Even the weird hyunday, I'm forced to drive right now, at least has a button for switching it on or off. Wtf?

4 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

The fact that people don't even have one non-digital clock in their home anymore is the true sadness. 

My non-digital clock is radio-controlled and refuses to associate with low tech clocks that require the dirty touch of human fingers.

Edited by Luzifer's right hand

Do people not wear wrist watches anymore? I still have an analog one. As well as a battery-powered alarm clock that wakes me up in the morning (as it has for probably close to 15-20 years now; now that I think of it, it has proved very durable and survived many moves). And the flat I am renting has a wall clock that needs to be reset twice a year too, people don't have these on walls anymore? Huh.

(Both my alarm clock and the wall clock tick very loudly and have been called annoying to go to sleep to by people visiting me, but I honestly don't notice the ticking anymore ... as I said, I have been going to sleep listening to my alarm clock for a very long time now.)

In Europe, we got an extra hour of sleep a bit more than a week ago. Now it is not dark when I go to work in the morning, but becomes dark way too soon in the afternoons.

• 4 months later...

Everyone ready for this Sunday? At least we'll be getting to the better time again.

There's another effort in Congress this year to make DST permanent, but there doesn't seem to be as much optimism as last year. https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2023/03/09/daylight-saving-time-bill/

But the prospects for the Sunshine Protection Act remain dim: Neither chamber of Congress has a majority supporting the bill, and there is no clear consensus among voters. Key congressional leaders whose committees would need to review the bill remain publicly undecided. Opponents and sleep medicine experts, meanwhile, warn that when Congress actually succeeded in making daylight saving time permanent in the 1970s, it quickly and ignominiously blew up in their faces, forcing them to end the experiment 10 months later.

And after senators used a legislative maneuver last year to pass their bill with no debate or committee review — shocking many of their colleagues and the White House — wary congressional staff say they’re on alert to block such an effort this year.

Meanwhile, a review of daylight saving time policies by the Department of Transportation, which implements federal time zone rules, is not expected to be completed until year’s end; some undecided lawmakers said they planned to wait for that before making a decision on the Sunshine Protection Act.

43 minutes ago, Fez said:

Everyone ready for this Sunday? At least we'll be getting to the better time again.

There's another effort in Congress this year to make DST permanent, but there doesn't seem to be as much optimism as last year. https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2023/03/09/daylight-saving-time-bill/

:a very flat irritated look:

:angry:

We are in the correct time now. Switching to the permanent DLST is exactly backwards. I favor making the current time permanent, not the "lose an hour of precious off work time" permanent.

DST is not for workers.

On 11/8/2022 at 3:07 PM, Luzifer's right hand said:

My parents recently gifted me two beautiful old antique clocks.

One is a intricately, wood carved cuckoo, the other a very solid mantle piece with a stately chime that can be heard through the home from its loft resting location.

I need to have cuckoo tuned up from a clock repair store, one of the two hands needs replacing. But it looks so perfect on the wall above the LR door.

This said, I still want a big (cant miss) digital for my dressing area when im scrambling to keep my work schedule and so forth.

At work i use  cheap pocket watches because everything else gets smashed working with metal as i do.:D

Edited by DireWolfSpirit

Hey, I suffered the effects of daylight saving time twice this week by traveling to a different time zone one hour earlier than mine. Take hope, it's possibe to survive. Looking forward to the real thing end of the month. Me and my wife both work till 6 every day. Especially for her it's the only chance for sunshine after worj

• 7 months later...

Ugh, my least favorite seasonal trend.

One silver lining about DST ending is that for my current job, it makes the morning commute a little better, for a short while at least.

For people who have SAD who don't already have a light therapy box, I highly recommend considering one. It's not perfect, but it has definitely helped me get through the dark months.

12 minutes ago, Phylum of Alexandria said:

Oh yeah, for people in Canada it's extra rough. Even my wife started to experience some SAD symptoms when we were living in Montreal.

My friends in the north will soon have virtually no light at all. And people just a bit further south see the sun go down by 3:00, so at least it’s not quite as bad!

Maybe it's just because I'm Canadian, but I would switch to permanent DST in a heartbeat. I absolutely hate getting out of work to darkness. I don't care about the extra hour of sleep I just got. Give me back my hour of afternoon sunlight!

This is, honestly, my least favourite day of the year. Four months till March...

Edited by Caligula_K3