Daylight saving time sucks donkey balls… final thread?

Ser Scot A Ellison

People are mostly dumb sheep, this makes me think.

If you really like extra sunlight at the end of your day, go to work an hour earlier.  

If you really like extra sunlight at the start of your day, go to work an hour later.

Really, apart from defending the integrity of the union's borders, what does the federal government do besides transfer money from the unorganized to those who hire lobbyists?

11 hours ago, Larry of the Lake said:

Do US highschools anywhere still do the 7-8 classes a day scheduling?  Mine (1998-2001) was the "block" or semester scheduling where it was four 80 minute classes for half the year, then new ones in January.  

Wondering if schools using the 8 classes a day have a longer day.  

Fwiw you had to be there at 7:15, school was out at 2:25.

Had to be at am bus stop at 6:30.  Which was sort of dark in the winter but I don't remember that being an issue.  

I can't speak to how things work today, but I always found it so odd how the school district over was entirely different. We had seven periods on a trimester system. They had four blocks on a quarter system. I have no idea why they were so different, just like how the private art school nearby only had classes for five hours a day and I'm not sure if anyone had to take math or science course after ninth grade general studies. 

:dunno:

7 hours ago, DMC said:

Yeah, this is the pretty obvious reason it doesn't happen.

It honestly didn't interfere with our schedules at all unless we needed to be let out early for a game that required a long bus ride. Football practice got out a bit before six, basketball a little earlier and baseball and track were random depending on what we were doing but never went as late as football. Each still left plenty of time to eat dinner, kick it with friends for a while and then do homework for a few hours. You could get all that done by 10 on most nights.

But I think our generation got it easy. My cousins' kids are all in sports or theater (or both) and they sound like they eat up way more time, especially if they're about to put on a play. Poor kids might put in 25 hours a week for that on top of school and they're not old enough to drive yet.

They always bandie about the worst possible solution. Having stolen our hour they want to permanently stay as is now (make the daylight savings/hour theft permanent.

Notice there is never a bill to leave us alone back in our rightful fall back hours.

First give us back our damn hour and THEN make it permanent!

14 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

What is the psychology of the winter blues and daylight exposure? Is it better to have daylight in the AM to help you get going, or is it better to go longer in the afternoon with daylight to keep your mood up? Or is winter blues only down to the fact it is cold and wet for most of the winter?

I believe that the research on people who do have Winter Seasonal Affective Disorder shows that adding full spectrum ligh exposure is better done in the early morning hours just after one awakens.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-procedures/light-therapy/about/pac-20384604#:~:text=Light therapy is a way,called a light therapy box.

11 hours ago, mcbigski said:

People are mostly dumb sheep, this makes me think.

If you really like extra sunlight at the end of your day, go to work an hour earlier.  

If you really like extra sunlight at the start of your day, go to work an hour later.

Really, apart from defending the integrity of the union's borders, what does the federal government do besides transfer money from the unorganized to those who hire lobbyists?

hmm, curious since I believe it was the government that imposed DST to begin with. And there are plenty of jobs out there where attempting to show up to work early or stay late is not allowed; usually it's for hourly workers.

What I don't like is having to remember to change all the clocks in my house twice a year. Minor nuisance, but nuisance nonetheless and sunlight has nothing to do with it. 

Lol at this one: https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/paulmcleod/daylight-saving-time-senate

Turns out while is bipartisan support in the senate for permanent DST, probably enough to overcome a filibuster, there are opponents (most notably Tom Cotton). But there was apparently a whole lot of communication breakdowns and a lot of senators on both sides had no idea Rubio was about too ask for unanimous consent to pass the bill. So it was by accident, rather than intentional, that this happened. And now those senators who were caught off guard are apparently now lobbying the House to not vote on the bill.

37 minutes ago, Fez said:

Lol at this one: https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/paulmcleod/daylight-saving-time-senate

Turns out while is bipartisan support in the senate for permanent DST, probably enough to overcome a filibuster, there are opponents (most notably Tom Cotton). But there was apparently a whole lot of communication breakdowns and a lot of senators on both sides had no idea Rubio was about too ask for unanimous consent to pass the bill. So it was by accident, rather than intentional, that this happened. And now those senators who were caught off guard are apparently now lobbying the House to not vote on the bill.

:sob:

12 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

:sob:

I wouldn't worry too much Scot. Pelosi has no reason to listen to the likes of Tom Cotton, and the article has quotes from plenty of House Republicans who want to pass the bill.

The bigger issue is if House Democratic leadership decides it looks "frivolous" to vote on a bill like this while there's issues like Ukraine and inflation dominating the news.

6 minutes ago, Fez said:

The bigger issue is if House Democratic leadership decides it looks "frivolous" to vote on a bill like this while there's issues like Ukraine and inflation dominating the news.

Yeah it doesn't look like there's gonna be a vote anytime soon:

But other members say the proposal is not a priority as lawmakers continue to focus on the devastation unfolding in Ukraine.

“I’m really thinking about dying people and I’m thinking about what’s going on in Ukraine. We just had the president here. I don’t give a damn about what people think about it,” Rep. Maxine Waters (D-Calif.) said Wednesday, referring to the Senate-passed proposal.

“To be candid, it’s not been on my radar. We got other things that have been more front and center,” House Minority Whip Steve Scalise (R-La.) told The Hill on Wednesday afternoon, adding lawmakers remain “focused on Ukraine,” following Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky’s recent address to Congress.

Still, I'm sure they'll get around to it eventually, not like there's a huge rush.

538's weekly pollapalooza is all about daylight savings.  Easily my favorite tidbit - old people hate time changes the most:

Older Americans, it turns out, are also much more likely than younger Americans to dislike the time changes. The Economist/YouGov poll found that an overwhelming majority of respondents 65 and over (77 percent) wanted to eliminate the twice-yearly time change compared with less than half of respondents age 18 to 29 (42 percent). To be clear, those younger people aren’t strongly in favor of keeping the clock change: They were just about as likely to say they didn't want to change the clocks (27 percent) as they were to say they weren't sure (31 percent). But they were also less in favor of permanent daylight saving time than older people were, by 30 percent to 54 percent.

3 hours ago, DMC said:

538's weekly pollapalooza is all about daylight savings.  Easily my favorite tidbit - old people hate time changes the most:

I resemble that remark… but I’ve been attempting to die on this hill for so long that my prior statement wasn’t always true.

:)

Edited by Ser Scot A Ellison

2 hours ago, DMC said:

I think I have found it more of a nuisance as I age. Though personally I think I'd slightly prefer keeping standard time year round rather than DST. 

40 minutes ago, Larry of the Lake said:

Standard time is winter time?  I'd say that's preferable to keeping summer time the whole year.  

Agreed.  Or, if we ever really do stop observing daylight savings, why not simply average them out?  For example, we just moved our clocks forward an hour so we could just move them back a half-hour and leave it alone?  Or however it would need to be done when/if it actually happens.   

• 2 weeks later...

We changed it yesterday and now I have to go to work and the sun hasn't even risen yet. :angry: This is ridiculous.

My workplace has ridiculous hours anyway. Starting classes at 7 AM for high schoolers is not in line with their biological clock, and I am pretty sure it is not in line with most of the adults' biological clock either. They explain it with the bus and train schedules, as most students live quite far away and the public transport is so poor that a lot of them are/would be in town where the school is before 7 AM anyway - as there isn't a later transport available, even on days they start later. Which I suppose I can understand, but it is still stupidly early.

4 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

We changed it yesterday and now I have to go to work and the sun hasn't even risen yet. :angry: This is ridiculous.

My workplace has ridiculous hours anyway. Starting classes at 7 AM for high schoolers is not in line with their biological clock, and I am pretty sure it is not in line with most of the adults' biological clock either.

No, it's not.

A good read on the subject here: 

https://www.abc.net.au/news/science/2022-03-26/daylight-saving-time-year-round-senate-health-sleep-metabolism/100927106

My problem with having standard time in the summer is that you now basically require a lighted field for any kind of evening activities - golf, baseball, & softball come to mind immediately, but I'm sure there are others.  You could combat that with starting everything an hour earlier in the summer, but then it's just DST for anybody doing after work/school activities anyway.

I also find it kind of funny that people complain about going to work when it's dark.  In the north we go to work when it's dark most of the year.  In the winter I go to work in the dark and by the time I get home it's dark.  When I was in school, we caught the bus in the dark.

I'm starting to see why this will likely never go away.  Everybody hates switching times, but everybody seems to also hate the idea of staying on the same time too.  Easier to leave things as they are and have everybody uniformly hate the status quo that's been around forever than risk trying something new that some people will love and some people will hate.

25 minutes ago, aceluby said:

My problem with having standard time in the summer is that you now basically require a lighted field for any kind of evening activities - golf, baseball, & softball come to mind immediately, but I'm sure there are others.  You could combat that with starting everything an hour earlier in the summer, but then it's just DST for anybody doing after work/school activities anyway.

I also find it kind of funny that people complain about going to work when it's dark.  In the north we go to work when it's dark most of the year.  In the winter I go to work in the dark and by the time I get home it's dark.  When I was in school, we caught the bus in the dark.

I'm starting to see why this will likely never go away.  Everybody hates switching times, but everybody seems to also hate the idea of staying on the same time too.  Easier to leave things as they are and have everybody uniformly hate the status quo that's been around forever than risk trying something new that some people will love and some people will hate.

Give it a year after eliminating the change, whether we stick with winter time or summer time, and the complaints will be minimal.  

Also, the golf thing is easy, just get rid of golf courses and golf altogether.  

Eta: the real problem is that we live in a society that wants you working half your waking life.  Switch to a 30 hour work week and all of a sudden the time change or not doesn't really matter as much.

Edited by Larry of the Lake