Daylight saving time sucks donkey balls… final thread?

Ser Scot A Ellison

Back when the Senate passed the bill to go to permanent Daylight time in the USA I somehow got the idea that this would soon be a "done deal", and I am rather surprised to find out the House has never taken the issue up and so this will probably NOT be the last year we change clocks.  Personally, I think I'd slightly prefer being on Standard year round instead of Daylight, but I do think it would be better not to change given the rise in accidents that occurs right after the time changes every year. 

1 hour ago, Ormond said:

Back when the Senate passed the bill to go to permanent Daylight time in the USA I somehow got the idea that this would soon be a "done deal", and I am rather surprised to find out the House has never taken the issue up and so this will probably NOT be the last year we change clocks.  Personally, I think I'd slightly prefer being on Standard year round instead of Daylight, but I do think it would be better not to change given the rise in accidents that occurs right after the time changes every year. 

I greatly prefer standard time

1 hour ago, Ormond said:

Yeah it doesn't look like it's happening in the House:

U.S. Representative Frank Pallone, who chairs the Energy and Commerce Committee that has jurisdiction over the issue, said in a statement to Reuters the House is still trying to figure out how to move forward.

"We haven’t been able to find consensus in the House on this yet. There are a broad variety of opinions about whether to keep the status quo, to move to a permanent time, and if so, what time that should be," Pallone, a Democrat, said, adding that opinions break down by region, not by party. [...]

"We don’t want to make a hasty change and then have it reversed several years later after public opinion turns against it — which is exactly what happened in the early 1970s," Pallone said.

I wouldn't be optimistic about Speaker McCarthy passing it in the next Congress either.  Wouldn't be surprising in the least if MAGA people find some reason to fuck it up.

In terms of which time setting to remain on permanently I personally prefer standard time. However I would defer to mental health experts to advise what time setting would be least detrimental to seasonal affective disorder sufferers. Is daylight at the beginning of the day more beneficial, or is it more beneficial at the end of the day to moderate symptoms? Or does it not really matter and it's just the fact of short days that's the problem and fiddling with clocks has no effect on the condition? And even for people who do not have SAD what is the general effect on mood.

At the very high latitudes does it make much difference since the days are so long and so short? In the tropics too where the day doesn't vary all that much from 12 hrs regardless of season? In the temperate zones the time change has a noticeable effect.

8 hours ago, Week said:

I appreciate the extra hour this morning to get right before family activities... But now every day until March I'm going to be upset at 4pm when it is dark.

So what you're saying is you don't think you're a vampire? 

Only one way to be safe.

17 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

The fact that people don't even have one non-digital clock in their home anymore is the true sadness. 

Even analog clocks were a sad and disgusting technological development.  Sun dials, water clocks, and domesticated fowl are the only ethical methods of horology.