Announcing The Rise of the Dragon

Westeros

As promised, we can now discuss in more detail our forthcoming book, The Rise of the Dragon, as it has not been posted about at Not a Blog. The book will hit shelves in October, both in the US and in the UK as HarperVoyager announced they’ve picked up the rights (and shown off their own cover).

https://www.westeros.org/Graphics/Images/_medium/Cover_RiseOfTheDragon.jpg

read on >>>

View the full article

The one thing that could make this really interesting is if it were to include updated or new family trees.

The Targaryen family tree could include the known ancestors and kin of the various people marrying into the family, and in addition there is certainly potential for a Velaryon, Baratheon, Hightower, and Stark family tree.

But I guess we won't be getting that, no?

While the illustration of the Fishfeed looks great, I think the implication of the narrative actually is that you couldn't see it from Harrenhal. Prince Aemond only learned of it because he received a report after the fact - if he or his men had seen it from the walls of Harrenhal it wouldn't have happened because Vhagar would have descended on the Blacks, turning the whole thing into a decisive Green victory.

1 hour ago, Ran said:

Yes, we know. It's artistic license. And no, no new family tree stuff.

A pity. That would be a really good reason to buy the book. Now the artwork has to be really stunning.

40 minutes ago, Ran said:

Not in this book, no, I'm afraid!

That's not to be read as confirmation that you guys cut all the Daynes that are mentioned in FaB, right?

I really wonder what the one or two new details (apart from dragon colors) are. Not sure artwork alone justifies the $60 price tag for those of us that already own F & B. As for family trees, its a crime that we still don't know the names of Daemon's stillborn son by Laena and Viserys's first living son by Aemma.

@Ran

If the artwork includes depictions of characters' lacking an official description (Harwin Strong, Alicent Hightower) should we take those to be canon?

By the way - who is the Dragon in the title supposed to be? I misread the title immediately as 'The Rise of the Dragons' - which would make sense. 'The Rise of the Dragon' implies the rise of a single person, and that's not really what happens.

I guess one can pretend it refers to the three-headed heraldic dragon, but that thing isn't exactly the object of the history. As a dynasty, the Targaryens are 'the dragons', not 'the dragon'.

4 minutes ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

Has GRRM ever explained why he is so secretive about them? We don't even know the name of the current lord of Starfall.

Ran has told us that there is a Dayne appendix or notes for something like that among George's papers. They are of considerable significance to the later plot of the main series.

That said - it is not surprising that FaB featured few Daynes. They are Dornishmen, after all, and the Targaryens were mostly at peace with Dorne during the time covered in the book. If George had bothered to write in more detail about the Dornish Wars, adding proper wars after the First Dornish War rather than small campaigns and skirmishes they could also have featured more prominently. But the Daynes played a significant role in the First Dornish War.

Also, if the reign of Viserys I and the later reign of Jaehaerys I had been covered in more detail we could have gotten reports of feasts and tourneys at KL which Martells and Daynes attended - or vice versa an extended visit of certain Targaryens to Dorne (Viserys I feels like the guy who could have toured Dorne with a young Rhaenyra at his side, being on very friendly terms with his brother monarch at Sunspear).

12 minutes ago, The Grey Wolf Strikes Back said:

If the artwork includes depictions of characters' lacking an official description (Harwin Strong, Alicent Hightower) should we take those to be canon?

No on characters. They were passed by George's art director and I know that he personally looked at all the art, but George had always given artists liberal freedom to depict what's in their mind's eye and we've followed suit.

Thinking about Dorne more - I think it might have been much more intriguing if Daemon's first wife had been a Dornish heiress, possibly even the heiress of Sunspear. That would have been the kind of match outside the family the Targaryens would have made for one of the princes, and the whole conciliatory aspect of Jaehaerys' reign could or should have include smart marriage alliances ... which are actually nowhere to be seen during his reign, especially not for his grandchildren.

The marriage being a complete failure could have caused another rift between Sunspear and the Iron Throne. Also, it would have made more sense for Daemon to not get out of his marriage if he was married to the heir of Dorne than to Lady Royce - insulting Runestone should have no consequences for the Targaryens, whereas humiliating or slighting the future ruler of Dorne and her family could easily lead to another war.

5 minutes ago, Ran said:

No on characters. They were passed by George's art director and I know that he personally looked at all the art, but George had always given artists liberal freedom to depict what's in their mind's eye and we've followed suit.

Was hoping we'd get an "official" look for Alicent, Harwin, and Aemma but oh well.

22 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

By the way - who is the Dragon in the title supposed to be? I misread the title immediately as 'The Rise of the Dragons' - which would make sense. 'The Rise of the Dragon' implies the rise of a single person, and that's not really what happens.

I think it refers to house Targaryen as a whole. 

27 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

I guess one can pretend it refers to the three-headed heraldic dragon, but that thing isn't exactly the object of the history. As a dynasty, the Targaryens are 'the dragons', not 'the dragon'.

This is insanely pedantic, even by your standards. Bravo.

14 minutes ago, The Grey Wolf Strikes Back said:

Was hoping we'd get an "official" look for Alicent, Harwin, and Aemma but oh well.

Alicent is pretty much always depicted as a brunette, including in FnB. Rhaenyra’s three Velaryon sons were all said to look like Harwin, so he presumably had brown hair and eyes, and a pug nose.

The real surprising one is Dunk, whose appearance we don’t know anything about besides his height. There’s only the comics. 

A lot of people never name their stillborn children, so it wouldn’t be too surprising if most of the characters never did either.

I love fanart, so I’m very excited for this book. Since it’s coming out in October, I’m guessing that’s around when HOTD will premiere.

The only new family tree I want to see is the Velaryons, since I refuse to let go of my headcanon that they intermarried with the Ironborn at some point. It’s just too perfect.

Has George ever said how long it usually takes him to write a DnE novella? I’ve decided to start pinning all my hopes on FnB2 and DnE now. (Don’t worry, I’m not someone who sends George angry emails when it inevitably takes longer to write than expected. I get the impression that he gets quite a few of those).

Archived