Announcing The Rise of the Dragon

Westeros

17 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

How long ago did he say that?

"In addition to turning out new chapters, I’ve been revising some old ones (some very old)… including, yes, some stuff I read at cons ages ago, or even posted online as samples". 

https://georgerrmartin.com/notablog/2020/11/08/back-to-westeros/

6 minutes ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

"In addition to turning out new chapters, I’ve been revising some old ones (some very old)… including, yes, some stuff I read at cons ages ago, or even posted online as samples". 

https://georgerrmartin.com/notablog/2020/11/08/back-to-westeros/

Thanks. That’s what I was getting at when I was saying that he may have to change earlier chapters to match newer ones, although it could just be perfectionism at work.

I find it interesting that he was on a roll in Summer 2020, because that was not a pleasant time in the US, and I always got the impression that he writes best when life is more harmonious. 

6 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

Thanks. That’s what I was getting at when I was saying that he may have to change earlier chapters to match newer ones, although it could just be perfectionism at work.

I find it interesting that he was on a roll in Summer 2020, because that was not a pleasant time in the US, and I always got the impression that he writes best when life is more harmonious. 

At the very least, this can serve as a rebuttal to those who think that he hasn't worked on the main series since Dance was published. I never really believed it myself, but after 10 year of waiting, it sounded more and more plausible every time. :D

23 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

It occurred to me that, given how he tends to finish chapters and then set them aside for the next installment, GRRM probably has written well into ADOS for at least a few characters. (Daenerys probably isn’t one of them though lol).

I hope Bran is:) I bet he's got the last chapter..

On 3/20/2022 at 1:25 AM, The Bard of Banefort said:

@Ran It came to my attention that FnB never mentions Jaehaerys being knighted, despite his determination to be the warrior his father wasn’t. Was this intentional?

I doubt it was intentional, although I'd say that in context Jaehaerys being knighted would have been an event of considerable importance, so it should have been depicted in FaB. One imagines that he was either knighted by one of his KG back on Dragonstone or shortly after he took the government into his own hands.

Another king where the question of knighthood might have some relevance is Aegon III. We heard a lot about his training at arms in FaB - and he actually was pretty good in the end -, so it is of considerable interest whether he bothered with becoming a knight once he ruled in his own right or not.

But then - we should expect that more or less all royal princes should get a knighthood, qualified or not. Just think of Laenor Velaryon. There might be some martial kings who insist that their sons and other relations actually do get proper training and are only made knights when they do not shame themselves (Jaehaerys I would have likely never insisted that Vaegon get a knighthood) ... but other kings might have different standards. And in the end all princes are rich pricks, so they can buy themselves a knighthood later in life if they want one. Nobody can stop them.

31 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

I doubt it was intentional, although I'd say that in context Jaehaerys being knighted would have been an event of considerable importance, so it should have been depicted in FaB. One imagines that he was either knighted by one of his KG back on Dragonstone or shortly after he took the government into his own hands.

Another king where the question of knighthood might have some relevance is Aegon III. We heard a lot about his training at arms in FaB - and he actually was pretty good in the end -, so it is of considerable interest whether he bothered with becoming a knight once he ruled in his own right or not.

But then - we should expect that more or less all royal princes should get a knighthood, qualified or not. Just think of Laenor Velaryon. There might be some martial kings who insist that their sons and other relations actually do get proper training and are only made knights when they do not shame themselves (Jaehaerys I would have likely never insisted that Vaegon get a knighthood) ... but other kings might have different standards. And in the end all princes are rich pricks, so they can buy themselves a knighthood later in life if they want one. Nobody can stop them.

there is that line in FnB that says Laenor was knighted because it was mandatory for prince consort to be a knight . perhaps, the same goes for crown princes . on the other hand , a king doesn't need knighthood . for example Robb Stark had squires who expected to be knighted by him ,although he wasn't a knight himself. so , someone like Aegon III might not have cared enough to kneel before one of his knights to be knighted ;while, someone like Jaeherys I might have seen the skill above the label and never bothered to care about his own knighthood.

5 minutes ago, EggBlue said:

there is that line in FnB that says Laenor was knighted because it was mandatory for prince consort to be a knight . perhaps, the same goes for crown princes.

Laenor didn't have any other title of his own, he wasn't even a prince. So he needed some title to be worthy of Rhaenyra. But the point here is that Laenor never aspired to knighthood nor rode in the lists or trained at arms ... yet he still got a knighthood.

5 minutes ago, EggBlue said:

on the other hand , a king doesn't need knighthood . for example Robb Stark had squires who expected to be knighted by him ,although he wasn't a knight himself. so , someone like Aegon III might not have cared enough to kneel before one of his knights to be knighted ;while, someone like Jaeherys I might have seen the skill above the label and never bothered to care about his own knighthood.

Robb doesn't follow the Seven, so he doesn't need to be a knight and he would also not knight whatever squires he has personally but rather see to it that they get knighted.

Jaehaerys I likely wanted to be and was a knight - he very much behaves like a knight when he personally faces the Stinger in single combat.

Targaryen masculinity is very knight-centric, as it happens. Aenys has to train at arms although he isn't good at it, and he gets knighted. Maegor's fame is based exclusively on his strength at arms, Aenys' sons all train and excel at arms, Jaehaerys, in turn, expects all his sons to become proper men as well. Vaegon is a disappointment in this regard.

If I had to guess then Baelor the Blessed might be the first Targaryen king not to be knighted. While I do see Aegon III not caring much for a knighthood he and Viserys seem smart enough to realize that Aegon should project martial strength - or at least the image thereof - by not refusing a knighthood.

And while Daeron II was no warrior, either, it is pretty much inconceivable that his grandfather Viserys allowed the prince to marry a Dornish princess to lack a knighthood.

So I guess the only Targaryen kings who weren't knights might have been Baelor and Aerys I. Jaehaerys II perhaps as well, but with Egg as a father I expect the guy was also forced to train at arms ... and if that was the case, then they would have also given him the knighthood as a reward. Even more so after he was expected to succeed to the Iron Throne.

28 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

Jaehaerys II may not have been athletic, but he had a hell of a lot of spunk. Remember, this guy had to be persuaded not to lead the charge against the Ninepenny Kings.  So even if he was never knighted, I’m sure he at least gave it a good shot.

He wanted to lead the campaign, not a charge. And you don't need to be (particularly) martial to act as a general (I actually think Aerys played more or less the role Jaehaerys II wanted to take himself). But as things stand, Jaehaerys II was apparently too sick physically to survive the ordeals of day-to-day military life - not just actual battles, but simply marching and camping. Or at least his advisers feared that kind of thing might put him into an early grave.

But he certainly had the mental strength to do what was necessary and to understand that as the king he should lead by example and not hide behind his infirmities.

And as I said - considering Egg's troubled reign I don't see him allowing his heir to not become a knight. Nor do I think Jaehaerys would have wanted to stand there while both his brothers become knights. Unless Aerys I and Rhaegel - they seem to have declined to play that game.

On 3/18/2022 at 5:30 AM, The Bard of Banefort said:

A famous tower? The Hightower? I don’t think The Tower of Joy was around yet, so it can’t be that.

On 3/19/2022 at 12:42 AM, Lord Varys said:

And if the cross-section were the Hightower that would be great as well.

It could be the Hightower, but my guess would be the Tower of the Hand. Considering Blood & Cheese's infiltration of it & this being a Targaryen-centric book. And there's even some relevance to the main series, unlike the Hightower really (thus far).

Bah, the Tower of the Hand is gone in the main series. I can see why Blood and Cheese would provide the opportunity for such a cross-section but it is not something we desperately needed.

• 2 weeks later...

"Key Selling Points" from the Edelweiss catalog:

• SHARES SOURCE MATERIAL WITH HBO'S NEW SERIES, HOUSE OF THE DRAGON: GRRM's Fire & Blood novel is the basis for one of the world's most highly anticipated media events.
  • SURGING SALES NUMBERS: The show has driven over 23M print copies of A Song of Ice and Fire series and over 4.7M ebook sales.
  • WINNING TEAM FROM THE WORLD OF ICE & FIRE: George's co-authors are expert founders of Westeros.org (217K on FB, 52K on Twitter, 16K on YouTube).
  • FULLY ILLUSTRATED: A paper-over-board, full-color guide with gorgeous original artwork and maps commissioned exclusively for this edition.
  • GRRM-BRANDED PACKAGING: The cover design for The Rise of the Dragon reflects the packaging for GRRM's A Song of Ice and Fire series, providing a clear visual link for readers of the novels.
  • FOLLOWS HBO'S MOST-WATCHED SERIES: Each season of Game of Thrones broke viewership records set by the one before.
  • READABLE BY THOSE WHO HAVE NOT READ FIRE & BLOOD: The Rise of the Dragon offers an accessible, simplified version of the history covered in Fire & Blood.

https://www.edelweiss.plus/#sku=9781984859259

• 1 month later...
On 3/22/2022 at 12:58 AM, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

By the way, turns out that GRRM has talked about "building a world" since the 90's, at least. I don't know exactly when this is from, but it seems to be before ASOS was published, since he is promoting ACoK.

Input a few words from the subtitles into searcherr.work you'd find the context of this interview: Aug 2002 at Con Jose.

That book is a limited edition of ACOK published at that time.

Archived