US Politics: Guns, Germs, and Gas

DMC

Wanted to post a couple stories, figured I'd start a new thread..

First, South Carolina announced it is now prepared to carry out executions via firing squad.  They are now the fourth state to allow it, along with Mississippi, Oklahoma, and Utah.  This has been in the works for awhile, but I feel like it should be noted because this could be an increasing trend.  The impetus to add the firing squad option is because of the lack of availability of lethal injection drugs - in large part because many drug companies, most prominently Pfizer, won't provide them anymore.  This has led to a marked drop in executions in recent years, but if America can persevere through anything, it's figuring out how to kill people.

In other news, apparently the White House considered gas cards to deal with the price hike.  That sounds incredibly unlikely (and WH comms has already thrown cold water on it), but I thought this tidbit was interesting:

Democrats in both chambers have been brainstorming ideas on legislation to lower gas prices after they reached record high levels last week.

Other ideas being discussed include stimulus checks, using more ethanol to lower the demand for oil, and canceling oil companies' federal leases that aren't actively being used, the senior Democratic aide told Axios.

Various Democrats have also already introduced bills that would suspend the federal gas tax; raise taxes on oil companies to fund means-tested assistance; or provide a federal rebate whenever gas prices get above $4 per gallon.

Unless they want to use reconciliation for it, sounds like the only idea mentioned there that would get GOP support is suspending the gas tax.

26 minutes ago, DMC said:

In other news, apparently the White House considered gas cards to deal with the price hike.  That sounds incredibly unlikely (and WH comms has already thrown cold water on it), but I thought this tidbit was interesting:

Unless they want to use reconciliation for it, sounds like the only idea mentioned there that would get GOP support is suspending the gas tax.

Might not the "increasing ethanol use" idea get some GOP support from Midwestern farm states?

5 minutes ago, Ormond said:

Might not the "increasing ethanol use" idea get some GOP support from Midwestern farm states?

I don't think enough to get to 60 in the Senate (and hell, definitely not a given they'd get all 50 Dems).

@DireWolfSpirit

Just learn from morons.

Around here morons have been raiding super markets for rape oil. Apparently to put some of that into the tanks (yes, that is atm cheaper than going to the gas station).

Old Diesel Engines can apparently work with that (Bio Diesel is based on it anyway). Newer engines are bit more picky and less robust, so I hope those morons end up with high repair bills. Same shit with heating oil. 

Grape oil, I'm assuming rape oil is a typo?:D

"Same shit with heating oil. "

I have a kerosene heater in the garage (aka salamander) We just burn a high premium fuel in it.

It works fine and is cheaper than the kerosene. Either way your venting the space of course.

12 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Grape oil, I'm assuming rape oil is a typo?:D

"Same shit with heating oil. "

I have a kerosene heater in the garage (aka salamander) We just burn a high premium fuel in it.

It works fine and is cheaper than the kerosene. Either way your venting the space of course.

nah, apparently Rape(seed) is the English word for that plant.

1 hour ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

@DireWolfSpirit

Just learn from morons.

Around here morons have been raiding super markets for rape oil. Apparently to put some of that into the tanks (yes, that is atm cheaper than going to the gas station).

Old Diesel Engines can apparently work with that (Bio Diesel is based on it anyway). Newer engines are bit more picky and less robust, so I hope those morons end up with high repair bills. Same shit with heating oil. 

I messed around with reclaimed fryer oil in one of my trucks, a 90s naturally aspirated international motor... It works, after a while the veggie oil smell sticks around and seems to linger on your clothes and the vehicle interior.  It can also gunk up your fuel lines (especially return lines).  Without investing in tank and fuel line heaters it's probably more trouble than it's worth. If you live in a latitude higher than 35.  I ended up having to do the fuel system service, o-rings, etc every couple of oil changes instead of every 90k miles.  

If you're not getting a complete burn it's also very easy to completely roast your catalytic converter and 02 sensors (especially as you said with modern diesels) which gets expensive fast.

I'd do it again with an older non-turbo motor but to make it efficient you also need a dedicated area and filtering system for the oil before it goes into the tank.  Def worth it if you have the time to collect free oil and tinker with it.  But also a pita and can fuck shit up fast.  

This is the time I finally feel good about my Nissan Leaf purchase - it has a 110 mile range and sh*t aesthetics, but was quite cheap (used), and I dont have to worry about gas prices. Since getting a workable public transport system is a pipe dream in most of small town America, I think low range EV car + hybrid car  is probably the best option (sustainability wise) for most American families, IMO (like what I have right now)

A Note From Finland

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/a-note-from-finland

.... I understand you would like to see your heroic country as the navel of the world and as the main focus of any operation, but I am sorry to inform that, in this case, you are only cheap tools. You had to be weakened (and Britain manipulated to Brexit etc) in order to facilitate invasions to Ukraine, Belarussia and a list of other neighboring pieces of land in Putin’s future Menu. ....

.... It was no coincidence that some crucial (and criminal) incidents of the Trump term had to do with the Ukraine. It was one of Putin’s main targets already then. Trump was because of Ukraine, not vice versa! GOP (short for “Girlfriends Of Putin”??) just blocked any consequences for him.

Through this lengthy backround I am finally coming to the current day and the Ukraine war. Yes, it is very good that Mr. Biden has been clear and concise about the war. It is good that he has promised weapon help to the Ukrainians. It is good that the sanctions are slowly biting. And it is good to keep an eye on China, as well. But a big BUT:

YOU ARE STILL KEEPING THE KITCHEN DOOR WIDE OPEN!!!! And now you are even securing it firmly to the open position!

Neither Trump nor any significant member of the GOP has been held accountable. After a year, your DOJ has not even STARTED TO QUESTION some main suspects of pressuring phone calls to election officials. The congress committee has, but without teeth to enforce. Are you really trying to sell the audience that a poor black pickpocket/shop burglar would be delayed even the first interrogation more than a year!!??!! Gimme a f**king break! And even on this very second the GOP is working in three shifts to make the next election even more rigged than the previous one. And you are just going to let it happen.. Tralala! ....

Archived