US Politics: Guns, Germs, and Gas

DMC

Going back to Dixie hooray, where the post office opened everybody's mail to learn who was receiving abolition and slavery information and materials.

Going back to Comstock hooray, when the post office opened anybody mail looking for criminally sanctioned reproduction, contraception-abortion information and materials 

Abortion Pills, Once a Workaround, Are Now a Target
In advance of a Supreme Court decision, states are proposing new restrictions and heavier criminal penalties on medication abortion.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/04/06/us/abortion-pills.html

Oklahoma Lawmakers Approve Near-Total Ban on Abortion
The measure is part of a wave of stringent abortion restrictions enacted by legislators in Republican-led states.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/04/05/us/oklahoma-abortion-ban.html

2 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Foxes Take the Capitol
The U.S. Capitol Hill police were deployed after at least one congressperson was bitten.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2022/04/foxes-capitol-hill-congress.html

Is it the same one that already attacked the British Parliament two years ago?

Or is there a fox conspiracy to overthrow parliamentary democracies?

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/02/07/uk/fox-parliament-gbr-intl-scli/index.html

13 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Foxes Take the Capitol
The U.S. Capitol Hill police were deployed after at least one congressperson was bitten.

This quote cracked me up:

“There were 2 good Samaritans that helped me,” this person, who wished to remain anonymous to avoid reprisal from the foxes, told me in a follow-up email. “One female runner who, upon seeing walk towards me, I started crying at when she asked if I was ok. And a L3 Georgetown Law student who walked me towards Capitol Hill police, which felt … excessive but a little important? Encounter could’ve been 2 hours [or] 12 seconds. No clue.”

So reporters are hounding GOP Senators on the "what is a woman?" question they ridiculed Jackson for refusing to answer.  Josh Hawley is today's winner:

Sen. Josh Hawley (R-Mo.) was bolder than most.

“Someone who can give birth to a child, a mother, is a woman,” he said. “Someone who has a uterus is a woman. It doesn’t seem that complicated to me.”

So if a woman has her uterus removed by a hysterectomy, is she still a woman?

“Yeah. Well, I don’t know, would they?” he asked. (Yes.)

Asked again later if he would consider a woman to still be a woman if she lost her reproductive organs to cancer, Hawley said: “I mean, a woman has a vagina, right?”

We literally have Dwight Schrute as a Senator...

1 hour ago, Zorral said:

First the feral boars and pigs, wild turkeys and bears. Now this too!

Foxes Take the Capitol

Fox News better be covering this! 

:leaving:

56 minutes ago, DMC said:

So reporters are hounding GOP Senators on the "what is a woman?" question they ridiculed Jackson for refusing to answer.  Josh Hawley is today's winner:

We literally have Dwight Schrute as a Senator...

South Park did it.

1 hour ago, Rippounet said:

Is it the same one that already attacked the British Parliament two years ago

The US doesn't have a Parliament, so obviously, not! :)  Anyway the USA doesn't need no steenkin UK foxes, it has its own. 

Although European red foxes translocated to the eastern United States during Colonial times may have contributed genetically to extant populations in that region, our findings suggest that most of the matrilineal ancestry of eastern red foxes originated in North America.

2 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

South Park did it.

The Office clip fit Hawley much better, and is funnier.  And actually the Office clip preceded the South Park clip by three years.

2 hours ago, Zorral said:

First the feral boars and pigs, wild turkeys and bears. Now this too!

Foxes Take the Capitol

Cue Boebert claiming the foxes won't get near her because she is armed...

D.C. poobas -- politicians, journalists, aids, diplomatic and security staff etc, have their own covid superspreader-surge.  Some of them were positive and / or sick from the trip to Poland with Biden, which was before the dinner.  Biden appeared at the dinner via video -- though Dr. Fauci was among the 630 attending guests.  A lot of them Dems.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/media/2022/04/06/gridiron-dinner-covid-coronavirus-outbreak-superspreader/

.... The possibility that senators at the dinner were infected could conceivably delay a Senate vote to confirm Biden’s Supreme Court nominee, Ketanji Brown Jackson. A vote could come later this week; no delays have been announced. ....

Another Republican congress-critter gone. Doubt that makes his spot a possible D pickup, but by my count that makes three open R seats this time around.

Ohio Rep. Bob Gibbs retires abruptly, blames fight over maps (msn.com)

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) — Republican U.S. Rep. Bob Gibbs announced his sudden retirement on Wednesday, declaring himself a casualty of “the circus” over Ohio's still-unresolved congressional map.

1 hour ago, Zorral said:

D.C. poobas -- politicians, journalists, aids, diplomatic and security staff etc, have their own covid superspreader-surge.  Some of them were positive and / or sick from the trip to Poland with Biden, which was before the dinner.  Biden appeared at the dinner via video -- though Dr. Fauci was among the 630 attending guests.

Have no fears, the nerd prom will go on:

White House Correspondents Association president STEVEN PORTNOY told West Wing Playbook that the dinner will go on as planned on April 30. The organization, he insisted, is taking numerous precautions to ensure that the spread of the virus is minimized.

Questions about the event’s status have been swirling in recent days after it became clear that a similar annual Washington banquet likely doubled as both a celebration of journalism and a facilitator for the spread of Covid.

8 minutes ago, DMC said:

Questions about the event’s status have been swirling in recent days after it became clear that a similar annual Washington banquet likely doubled as both a celebration of journalism and a facilitator for the spread of Covid.

Could this be from all the hot air expelled at events such as this?  Hmmmmmmmm?  :leaving:

2 hours ago, LongRider said:

Gaetz wants to know just how old are these foxes?

After listening to the news, it seems like his mistake was simply not being a Rep from TN. There's a new marriage bill floating around there that appears to remove age requirements for straight marriages.

But the evil liberals are the ones targeting minors...

14 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

After listening to the news, it seems like his mistake was simply not being a Rep from TN. There's a new marriage bill floating around there that appears to remove age requirements for straight marriages.

But the evil liberals are the ones targeting minors...

I'm sure he'd do his part to protect the young girls from 'Ghey AgendaTM    and marry a 13-year-old girl.  Well, maybe just date a few of them.

I seem to recollect at least one other poster here ended up on conservative spam fundraising email lists, so here is my cut and paste contribution. Is the Texas GOP governors race really this close? Or is this mere greedy fearmongering?

Have you seen the latest poll, Fellow Conservative?!

The newest poll in the Texas Governor’s race had Governor Abbott ahead BY ONLY 2 POINTS in the race for Governor of Texas. This is way too close for comfort!

Fellow Conservative, as Governor Greg Abbott’s Campaign Manager I need to ask you to take IMMEDIATE action to STOP Beto and the Democrats from DEFEATING Governor Greg Abbott and our conservative movement.

If the Democrats win, they’ll destroy the wall, take our guns, and raise our taxes. There’s no time to waste, so please RUSH DONATE ANY AMOUNT NOW TO PREVENT BETO FROM DEFEATING GOVERNOR ABBOTT!

In races like these, EVERY DOLLARS COUNTS! Will you help Governor Abbott by pitching in today?

27 minutes ago, ThinkerX said:

Is the Texas GOP governors race really this close? Or is this mere greedy fearmongering?

Well, it's true there was a Texas Lyceum poll recently that had Abbott only up by two.  I've never heard of them before that poll, and they're not rated by 538.  Most polls have Abbott up 5-10.

Archived