US Politics: Guns, Germs, and Gas

DMC

Trump Criminal Probe Is Ongoing Despite Departures, D.A. Bragg Says
Alvin Bragg pushes back on reports case is effectively over
He says office is examining evidence not previously explored

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-04-07/trump-criminal-probe-is-ongoing-despite-departures-d-a-says0/

Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg issued a statement on Thursday clarifying that his office was still investigating former President Donald Trump.

Since Birdie hasn't made her business news thread I'll just leave this here.

How the actual fuck is Musk now worth $100b more than Bezos? I can at least rationalize why Bezos is worth so much, but how is Musk doing this while taking into account Tesla stock is massively inflated. 

18 hours ago, ThinkerX said:

Had a few brushes with Postal Inspectors back when I still delivered mail. The one time they booted a contractor on a route adjacent to mine for...well, a slew of things.   I got a short interview as part of that, mostly concerning how I was paid.

Another time involved massive mail theft on the route - every few months, the troopers would drop off a sack full of mail that had been stolen, opened, and tossed in the ditch. Somebody finally got irked enough to send formal certified letters to the boxes in question, telling them to move into cluster boxes - and much to my surprise, most of them did.

Mostly, though, it was bureaucratic BS

Watch the movie Queenpins if you want to see a badass Postal Inspector in action ;).

1 minute ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

What is the losing one term former President who lives in Florida and loves the Russian dictator up to?

And he'll be like Immortan Joe, dumping money on Trump loyalists.

TBH though, "Do not, my friends, become addicted to money" should be the mantra in DC if our politics were sane.

7 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

What is the losing one term former President who lives in Florida and loves the Russian dictator up to?

Sounds like he just acknowledged health could be a factor, which is a very ordinary political statement.  I suppose it is rather extraordinary that Trump made such an ordinary political statement.

3 minutes ago, DMC said:

Sounds like he just acknowledged health could be a factor, which is a very ordinary political statement.  I suppose it is rather extraordinary that Trump made such an ordinary political statement.

A tactic to push off the investigations and contempt citatuons?

1 minute ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

A tactic to push off the investigations and contempt citatuons?

I think you're overthinking how much thought Trump puts into his rambling responses in interviews.

1 hour ago, Larry of the Lake said:
More fun up Alaska way

Hey, I've been to North Pole and had my picture taken with Santa, but I don't think he was the mayor :p My parents used to send us letters from Santa thanking us for our wish lists to North Pole. The post office would mail the letters from there so they have the North Pole postmark.

And it goes without saying that I think Santa Claus would be a much better pick than Palin. Hell, Deez Nuts would be a better pick than Palin.

I really hope Santa wins.

3 hours ago, Mindwalker said:

Forum is wonky for me, sorry, didn't mean to repost that second tweet but can't delete it either.

She's probably one of the better justices we've had in 40+ years. I think it was a mistake for Biden to campaign on a black woman being nominated--I doubt it did much to get him more voters, and it's the whole, "Don't say the quiet part out loud." I think that Biden's choice to nominate a black woman was 100% correct (plus, she's just better than most justices IMO), but that narrative should have emerged as opposed to being crafted. I suppose it's a quibble at this point.

Archived