Ukraine 10: Lviv free

Just now, SpaceChampion said:

Sure, but doesn't have anything to do with the lyrics.  They wore a Stepan Bandera t-shirt in one photo, he who both fought against and collaborated with the Nazis during WW2, and is said to have contributed or was the architect of the holocaust of Poles in Ukraine.  Given how supportive of the Ukrainian side the Polish have been, I'm sure it's a lot more complicated than apparent.

Yeah, look above, I elaborated a bit.

3 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

@Red Tiger

I’d prefer to not watch people being killed.  I’d prefer this war be over, that the Russian dictator be deposed, and the Russian dictator’s apologists in the US begin their new careers as Zippy Mart clerks in keeping with their skill sets.

But, we live in the world we live in…

:/

That would be even better.

Biden says Putin "cannot remain in power:"

President Biden said Saturday that Russian President Vladimir Putin "cannot remain in power" during a speech in front the Royal Castle in Warsaw, Poland.

Driving the news: “For God’s sake, this man cannot remain in power," Biden said to a crowd gathered in Warsaw. While meeting with refugees earlier, he told reporters that Putin was "a butcher."

I don't think pushing regime change is particularly helpful right now.

2 minutes ago, Ser Reptitious said:

Isn't that just classic Putin, letting some random official/politician make crazy comments, so that he will seem reasonable by comparison?

He’s going to need some crazier officials if he wants to look even a little bit reasonable 

19 minutes ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

With what army? They’re gettingn embarrassed by Ukraine; NATO would rip them an absolute new one.

I know.  But it seems like they want NATO involved.  I can’t for the life of me understand why but they’re screaming for it.

16 minutes ago, Ser Reptitious said:

Isn't that just classic Putin, letting some random official/politician make crazy comments, so that he will seem reasonable by comparison?

I was gonna say this is a particularly crazy legislator, but then I remembered the United States Congress.

6 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I know.  But it seems like they want NATO involved.  I can’t for the life of me understand why but they’re screaming for it.

It is bizarre. I think Putin, at least and probably Shoigu understand that an attack on NATO is beyond Russia's capabilities without trapping it in an escalationary trap. I think there's others who do not understand that, or genuinely think that the rest of the alliance will not defend the Baltic States or Poland.

Kazakhstan is weird though. It's already in Russia's orbit and they worked with the Kazakh government as recently as two months ago to suppress a pro-democracy movement there. They'd be better looking at Georgia or Uzbekistan.

Just heard the BBC explain that Biden didn't say remove Putin from power in Russia, but Putin must be removed from power over Ukraine.  Per usual, almost, seemingly, deliberate mis-hearing / mis-reporyting what Biden said.  Biden himself says that any call for Russian regime change would make any cease fire / peace negotiations out of the question and he would never do that.

Yeah, I think the problem is that Biden is not making himself clear and his off-the-cuff speaking might play well to a domestic audience, but can be confusing or dangerous in an international context. Blinken is much better at riding the line of criticising Russia harshly whilst not getting into dangerous (and futile) rhetoric that can't really help.

The problem is that you can't treat Putin as if he is Saddam Hussein or Gaddafi, no matter how much you might want to. The country is too big, too powerful and too entrenched for that to work, especially with no realistic or viable chance of regime change taking place in the near or medium future.

Archived